BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
Royce Martin
Royce Martin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i xdrive GC

Chassis Light, Brake Light, Parking Light.

I have a 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe Xdrive. Recently I caught a flat on the freeway but I pulled over immediately. I have the original BMW M5 wheels on it, they've never gave me any issue and this will be 8 months that they're on.

A tow truck came and was pulling my car from the rear wheel, it wasn't a flat bed. Since then all the lights on the dashboard pops up. I brought my car to BMW and they're saying because of the staggered wheels that's why the lights are coming on and they can't honor the repair.

Have anyone been through this before? Do I really needa repair done or is there something else that needs to be done?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce Martin View Post
I have a 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe Xdrive. Recently I caught a flat on the freeway but I pulled over immediately. I have the original BMW M5 wheels on it, they've never gave me any issue and this will be 8 months that they're on.

A tow truck came and was pulling my car from the rear wheel, it wasn't a flat bed. Since then all the lights on the dashboard pops up. I brought my car to BMW and they're saying because of the staggered wheels that's why the lights are coming on and they can't honor the repair.

Have anyone been through this before? Do I really needa repair done or is there something else that needs to be done?
When you say all the lights are coming on .... I presume you mean ABS / DSC etc etc ? Take a photo if possible.

I reckon the tow guy has yanked off maybe an ABS sensor or some control module or something.
      07-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Royce Martin
Royce Martin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 London View Post
When you say all the lights are coming on .... I presume you mean ABS / DSC etc etc ? Take a photo if possible.

I reckon the tow guy has yanked off maybe an ABS sensor or some control module or something.
What's your email? I can email you the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #4
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What's your email? I can email you the pictures.
k u ma r an v m 5 @ gmaildot com

no spaces
      07-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
Royce Martin
Royce Martin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
k u ma r an v m 5 @ gmaildot com

no spaces
Sent.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well the ABS is all lit up.

Traction control is lit up.

You need to get a garage to get the car on a ramp and look for any damage or sensors/modules that may have been tore off.

Oh and also well worth checking if you have the correct size tyre fitted now too, after your recent flat.
      07-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
Royce Martin
Royce Martin
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well the ABS is all lit up.

Traction control is lit up.

You need to get a garage to get the car on a ramp and look for any damage or sensors/modules that may have been tore off.

Oh and also well worth checking if you have the correct size tyre fitted now too, after your recent flat.
I got back the same tire and brand. BMW is telling me that it's my transition case. In order to change I have to remove the M5 wheel set up I have now and put on the 650i wheels it came with, they're telling me it's because of the wheels why it's doing that after 8 months of installation.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #8
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I got back the same tire and brand. BMW is telling me that it's my transition case. In order to change I have to remove the M5 wheel set up I have now and put on the 650i wheels it came with, they're telling me it's because of the wheels why it's doing that after 8 months of installation.
I am just putting the fact that you got a flat, a tow truck towed you from the rear wheel, or something... together with all these warning lights coming on immediately after this event.

I can't see how you now suddenly have a transmission issue.

Incidentally what are the actual tire sizes you are running currently and what were your stock tyre sizes please ?
      07-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #9
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

did bmw roadside send that truck? I'm surprised they didn't flatbed it. that looks like a car on the dyno with those warning lights. Its definitely a broken sensor somewhere , speed or abs
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:50 AM   #10
Royce Martin
Royce Martin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am just putting the fact that you got a flat, a tow truck towed you from the rear wheel, or something... together with all these warning lights coming on immediately after this event.

I can't see how you now suddenly have a transmission issue.

Incidentally what are the actual tire sizes you are running currently and what were your stock tyre sizes please ?
My stocks were 245/35/19 all around and now I'm running 255/35/20 on the front and 285/30/20 on the rear.

I highly doubt it's a transmission issue, BMW is just experimenting like they usually do.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:52 AM   #11
Royce Martin
Royce Martin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
did bmw roadside send that truck? I'm surprised they didn't flatbed it. that looks like a car on the dyno with those warning lights. Its definitely a broken sensor somewhere , speed or abs
I strongly believe it's just the sensors but BMW refuses to change the sensors. They're insisting that's it's the "Transition Case".

The night I caught the flat a flatbed dropped me home from the freeway, the next morning the other tow truck did that.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #12
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
I strongly believe it's just the sensors but BMW refuses to change the sensors. They're insisting that's it's the "Transition Case".

The night I caught the flat a flatbed dropped me home from the freeway, the next morning the other tow truck did that.
you cold check with one of those tire/rim calculators, that front circumference is def up, just a matter of how much and if the car can tolerate it. You said it did for months so probably ok. Normally up in rim diameter you go down in the profile of the tire. You went up in the diameter of the rim and up in the width so total diameter def changed
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 12:49 AM   #13
Royce Martin
Royce Martin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
you cold check with one of those tire/rim calculators, that front circumference is def up, just a matter of how much and if the car can tolerate it. You said it did for months so probably ok. Normally up in rim diameter you go down in the profile of the tire. You went up in the diameter of the rim and up in the width so total diameter def changed
What is the tire size for the upgraded 20" wheels they offer for the 650i? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they 255/35/20 on the front and 275/30/20 in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #14
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
doesn't 650xi have non-staggered tire setup
Appreciate 0