BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

DIY - Performace Grill Mount

Nope! I don't have a DIY guide for everyone.

BUT I HAVE SOME HINTS...

This past weekend i stopped to my local dealer to get my painted FRONT PLATE BRACKET mounted. While the service tech was working on the car i told him I bought the grills parts on the same day of car pick-up. But that i couldn't install them myself because the job appears to be difficult.

As a courtesy he offered the service as a FREE COST TO ME. He took the car to the shop in the back and 8 minutes later; he drives back from the service garage with them installed.

I asked him how they did it so fast and he said his mechanic did not wanted to mess with the car, so he didnt take it apart for this swap.

He did mention it's an FRONT EASY SWAP if you know what you are doing with a two-man team. By using 2 plastic FLAT HEAD DRIVERS and applying pressures where the clips are positioned and pulling as you apply stress to them.

While the mechanic was applying pressure to the clips the service tech was pulling the stock grills out. And out the came easy….

He just said to just be very careful with the car paint and the flat head drivers.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by ARam; 05-08-2013 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARam View Post
Nope! I don't have a DIY guide for everyone.

BUT I HAVE SOME HINTS...

This past weekend i stopped to my local dealer to get my painted FRONT PLATE BRACKET mounted. While the service tech was working on the car i told him I bought the grills parts on the same day of car pick-up. But that i couldn't install them myself because the job appears to be difficult.

As a courtesy he offered the service as a FREE COST TO ME. He took the car to the shop in the back and 8 minutes later; he drives back from the service garage with them installed.

I asked him how they did it so fast and he said his mechanic did not wanted to mess with the car for this swap.

He did mention it's an FRONT EASY SWAP if you know what you are doing with a two-man team. By using 2 plastic FLAT HEAD DRIVERS and applying pressures where the clips are positioned and pulling as you apply stress to them.

While the mechanic was applying pressure to the clips the service tech was pulling the stock grills out. And out the came easy….

He just said to just be very careful with the car paint and the flat head drivers.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Simply magnificent, ARam!! You win the race to get this done. Looks great! I can't wait to get mine installed as well. Enjoy!
      05-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

I dont know but i preferred the old X6 Performance Grill better. The grill slabs were darken on the X6 Performance Grills, while on the GC the Grill slabs are somewhat still silver.... And only the outer edge is in gloss black...

I may consider painting the slabs too.

What do you guys think?

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARam View Post
I dont know but i preferred the old X6 Performance Grill better. The grill slabs were darken on the X6 Performance Grills, while on the GC the Grill slabs are somewhat still silver.... And only the outer edge is in gloss black...

I may consider painting the slabs too.

What do you guys think?

I know what you mean. I remember when I picked up the Perfomance grilles for the GC, I opened one of the boxes and was a little surprised to see that the slats were fitted with chrome "tips". When I ordered them from the service center, i did imagine the grilles to be solid Gloss Black all around.

Even though I was a little disappointed originally, the "mixed look" grew on me when I tried to DIY the grille swap a couple weeks ago. I find that the chrome tipped slats with the gloss black border adds good contrast and blends well with the chrome in the headlight housing, the chrome in the Roundel, and the gloss black on the bottom end of the side mirrors, along with the "black" under the fog lights where the air intakes are. My humble opinion of course...

When I had my X6,(Saphire Black), she had the original grilles that had flat black slats, with a chrome border. Instead of upgrading the grilles to the gloss black, I actually chose to get the titanium grilles found standard on the X6/X5 50i models because I found that the titanium breaks up the black, and adds contrast, while blending in with the brushed aluminum found on the running boards, the fog light trim, and the brushed aluminum after market wheels I had her in.

I guess I like the contrast look because I feel it shows off the lines and contours better. So I actually like how your GC came out after the grille upgrade, and I am looking forward to having mine changed out soon as well.
I always say to each his own, so if you get them painted, rock on! That would DEFINITELY add a touch of individuallity to your car!
      05-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I know what you mean. I remember when I picked up the Perfomance grilles for the GC, I opened one of the boxes and was a little surprised to see that the slats were fitted with chrome "tips". When I ordered them from the service center, i did imagine the grilles to be solid Gloss Black all around.

Even though I was a little disappointed originally, the "mixed look" grew on me when I tried to DIY the grille swap a couple weeks ago. I find that the chrome tipped slats with the gloss black border adds good contrast and blends well with the chrome in the headlight housing, the chrome in the Roundel, and the gloss black on the bottom end of the side mirrors, along with the "black" under the fog lights where the air intakes are. My humble opinion of course...

When I had my X6,(Saphire Black), she had the original grilles that had flat black slats, with a chrome border. Instead of upgrading the grilles to the gloss black, I actually chose to get the titanium grilles found standard on the X6/X5 50i models because I found that the titanium breaks up the black, and adds contrast, while blending in with the brushed aluminum found on the running boards, the fog light trim, and the brushed aluminum after market wheels I had her in.

I guess I like the contrast look because I feel it shows off the lines and contours better. So I actually like how your GC came out after the grille upgrade, and I am looking forward to having mine changed out soon as well.
I always say to each his own, so if you get them painted, rock on! That would DEFINITELY add a touch of individuallity to your car!

I will give it a week or two...Maybe it grows in me.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Chinoxblu20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi 'White on White'

What dealer in NJ? Lease or Finance?

Looking to build a 640XD but looking on a specific location in jersey and what down and monthly it would come too. Can you provide ur deal?
Appreciate 0