BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
KC26
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2006 Ford Gt

F13 M6 Opinions

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new daily driver and I'm having a tough time deciding between a new M6, M5, or the Jaguar F Type R. I currently daily drive a 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, and I love the car, it's the only BMW I've ever owned. I've got other fun "weekend" cars so to me the bottom line speed isn't a big deal. I'd be curious to see how the M6 has held up so far when daily driven, I know the M5 is the typical choice for that but I really prefer the 2 door M6, just because its so damn gorgeous! If anyone has a few miles on their M6 and can share a little insight it would be greatly appreciated!!!! Also, if I posted this in the wrong section my bad! Feel free to move it. Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
I've only had my M6 for a week and a half, but I came to it from an '08 E92 M3. So far I love it. Better tech and luxury than my M3. A little heavier, but still very responsive (the comp package on my car helps I'm sure). The power is unbelievable. It's my daily driver. Very very happy with it!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

I drive my M6 daily to work and I love it. I usually get bored with cars pretty quickly and there is still plenty of enjoyment from the M6. It's not too outrageous with "hey look at me" but just enough for the person who knows to go "oh shit that is a badass car". Mine is pretty heavily modded and still does great as a daily. It just has a little bit of everything from luxury to power to looks.

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
KC26
Rep

Thanks for the replies! Really appreciate it. Sounds like the M6 has it all. Do you know when they introduced the comp package? Was it immediately or did they go the same route they took with the M5 and waited until 2015?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Mine is a 2014 with the CP so they at least had it by then
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

M5 looks too much like 535 M Sport imo...Also drive them, the M6 is quite a bit more sporty than the M5 imo...Love my M6, comfortable, great daily driver and there are really not nearly the amount of 6 series on the road as 5. I see at least 10-15 5 series a day
      12-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
KC26
Rep

Agreed, the M5 really doesn't cut it in terms of being unique. I've driven all of them, just didn't know how the reliability was. Plus there are things you can't replicate on test drive, at least not without the sales rep having an aneurysm Thanks for everyone's help and opinions! Looks like a new M6 is on order.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
KC26
Rep

Also, since I'm big on noise, what exhaust system do you think is the best for the M6? I have an IPE F1 on my E92 and my 458 and they are monsters. Any suggestions for the M6?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
barclay
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

I am going to be a dissenting voice here. I went from an 2010 M3 to a 2013 M6. The power is incredible, it has excellent grip in dry weather and the interior with the full leather is miles ahead of the prior gen M3 (pics indicate the new M3 interior is much improved).

However, I have to say that the car feels MUCH larger and heavier and I miss the smaller size and feel of the M3. There is soo much power that in my part of the country (uneven roads, cold and wet weather...and yes, I put on snows) the traction control is kicking in much too often. Again, I don't want to offend anyone but in hindsight the M6 is too big to be a nimble sports car and as a really fast luxury sports car has a ride I find a bit harsh. I think that on the mid to large size cars (E and S) AMG has the balance more sorted out. I am not sure this much hp can be rwd in these parts.

It is very hard to get it all in one car. They all require some compromise unless you want to own more than one car. For me personally, I would not get another one.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC26 View Post
Also, since I'm big on noise, what exhaust system do you think is the best for the M6? I have an IPE F1 on my E92 and my 458 and they are monsters. Any suggestions for the M6?
I am really big on sound as well and have swapped out the Eisenmann Race and the Meistershaft on my car. I settled on the Eisenmann Race because the sound of it is amazing. It's loud, has the whine, has the raspy'ness, and the amount of compliments I get is insane. Some people really like the Akrapovic exhaust which I have not heard in person but have been told it makes a beautiful sound but lacks in the 'loud' department which is a deal breaker for me -- I like em' loud.

You will need to run catless (straight-through) downpipes and straight-through mid-pipes to really get the true sound out of the engine otherwise it will be muffled and it sounds blaaaaaah.

Here are a couple clips of catless downpipes, mid-pipes, and Eisenmann Race mufflers. It's music to my ears every single time I hear it... haha!

2013 BMW M6 F13 // Launching

2013 BMW M6 F13 // Drive By Launch

2013 BMW M6 F13 // Revving Outside

2013 BMW M6 F13 // Revving in BMW Dealership

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Barclay - do you have the CP with the stiffer suspension? I read lots of reviews about the M6 being a bit soft and heavy feeling, especially when compared to the M3. However, with the CP on my car, while it's definitely a different car, and IS slightly larger and a bit heavier, it doesn't feel soft or heavy to me. With the CP suspension in sport mode, driving my road (lots of tight and sweeping turns, lots of elevation changes), it feels really good. It IS heavier, so it won't feel exactly as nimble as an M3, but I've been pleasantly surprised with how good it does feel on the road.

Most of my driving is on highway, or straight-ish local roads, where it feels great, the luxury and power are very enjoyable, etc.. We'll see how I feel about it on the track this summer. the racetrack in Loudon, NH is pretty short with lots of turns, so I expect I will run slower laps than I did in the M3 by a little, although it will be fun to see what I can do on the front straight with all this power

Brian - sweet jesus that thing sounds mean!! I love it!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Just get the M6... you will not regret! It's Powerful, Gorgeous, Sport, Luxury and all you want from a fast GT car. You will be impressed to see how this car destroys most of fast cars (including R8, GTR, 911) in rolling ...The only issue (not exactly issue) is when this torque monster wants to get off the line you feel wheel spinning and side skidding in MDM or DSC OFF which is part of fun

Like this

Read my quote in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
A friend of mine asked me this question today:
"Why didn't you cross shop Maserati GT over M6?".
I looked at him and offered him to join me for a short trip from Irvine to Newport beach (about 20 miles)... Selecting MDM, on the way I showed (off) him the power of M6 while jumping off the line from standstill and great handling when changes the lanes in freeways... I also let him feel that fantastic kick on gear shifting at red line ... Then the fun part that I enjoy the most... driving at 40-50 mph at second gear and suddenly floor the gas. Car moves like a rocket and push you back to the seat.
After couple of these actions () he looked at me and said: NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #13
barclay
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

[QUOTE=devondragon;17096298]Barclay - do you have the CP with the stiffer suspension? I read lots of reviews about the M6 being a bit soft and heavy feeling, especially when compared to the M3. However, with the CP on my car, while it's definitely a different car, and IS slightly larger and a bit heavier, it doesn't feel soft or heavy to me. With the CP suspension in sport mode, driving my road (lots of tight and sweeping turns, lots of elevation changes), it feels really good. It IS heavier, so it won't feel exactly as nimble as an M3, but I've been pleasantly surprised with how good it does feel on the road.

Most of my driving is on highway, or straight-ish local roads, where it feels great, the luxury and power are very enjoyable, etc.. We'll see how I feel about it on the track this summer. the racetrack in Loudon, NH is pretty short with lots of turns, so I expect I will run slower laps than I did in the M3 by a little, although it will be fun to see what I can do on the front straight with all this power

Devondragon - I don't have the CP.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #14
PRican//M614
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6, 2015 BMW X5...

I've had two widebody vettes........... one had 10k rims the other had 5k forged rims both were dripping with carbon fiber.... Dropped....Full Headers Superchargers........Lights Bacup cameras need I say more............ Not one of those cars has gotten me as many complements than on my still stock M6... all I have is the Dinan.. Everything else will hit my car in March or April................. My best friend just got a 2015 M5, Its a blast of power but feels like a 550 and also feels like my wifes 12'E350 with a shit load of power //M6 way to go................ Love IT..............Love IT...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 01:55 AM   #15
CalifBrit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M6 MT Gran Coupe, Comp pkg

It is REALLY worth it to get the CP. For me it makes all the difference in the world. Worth the extra money in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #16
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

I'd put the money from the comp pack into a dinan tune. 680 hp vs. 15 from bmw...

The jag is looking to be a hell of a car too. I'm a manual M6 owner and I'm highly impressed jag now offers a stick. Spring comes around I might have to take a hard look.

Former car was an M3, lighter and better handling. You have to make that choice. But again, no comp pack and get the dinan tune. Keep us posted!

BTW interior with full leather is breath taking and a great DD. A more low key supercar.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #17
diononiz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab

I felt the comp pack didn't make much difference after several test drives so I decided I would go aftermarket. I now have the Dinan CAI, stage 2 tune, coilovers and sway bars. The performance difference over the comp package is huge!

19 Aston Martin Vantage - Magnetic Silver - Lemoned
16 Porsche 991 Turbo - White/Black - Gone but missed!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 01:14 AM   #18
znammzM6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 SG M6

I traded my 2013 M5 for the 2014 M6. Added BMS Piggy, Eisennman Sport, KW HAS, and CP sway bar and I think that I found the "perfect DD car". Handling is much improve over stock and CP M6. I test drove the F-Type R and it is definitely not a DD car IMO, exhaust are too loud, suspension is noticeable stiffer which translate to harder ride, and it is only two seat.

One big difference between the M5 and the M6 IMO is the road noise whereas M5 you get very little and the M6 is more noticeable. if your current is an M3 ZCP, i think the best step up would be the M6 since is still sport but more luxurious.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #19
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

Put 24k miles on my '13 M6. Daily driver. Best car I've owned for that purpose. I'm a 2 door guy. Had Meisterschaft cat back. Loved the sound. Like anything, you get used to it and your eyes start wandering. Mine did...to an M4. Some regrets, may be coming back to the F13. Good luck.

Mark
      01-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #20
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC26 View Post
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new daily driver and I'm having a tough time deciding between a new M6, M5, or the Jaguar F Type R. I currently daily drive a 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, and I love the car, it's the only BMW I've ever owned. I've got other fun "weekend" cars so to me the bottom line speed isn't a big deal. I'd be curious to see how the M6 has held up so far when daily driven, I know the M5 is the typical choice for that but I really prefer the 2 door M6, just because its so damn gorgeous! If anyone has a few miles on their M6 and can share a little insight it would be greatly appreciated!!!! Also, if I posted this in the wrong section my bad! Feel free to move it. Thanks so much!
I would recommend careful consideration. I have a 2013 F13 BSM took delivery 01 Sep 2012 now with 22K miles on it. This is my daily driver to include winter with snow tire pkg. I live in Pittsburgh. This is the most expensive car I ever owned (MSRP $123K), my dream car and fourth BMW. Previously, E36 M3, E60 550i sport pack and E60 550i M Sport pack. In other words, I had to work my way up to this car.

It has been in service for 5 weeks to address an extremely annoying and prominent creaking from the driver's door and vibration in passenger door. Problems persist. The car came with a "snap, crackle and pop" sound like sand or gravel hitting the windshield on intermittent basis I reported on back in Sep 2012 (see thread) also unresolved. Two dealers unable to fix. This car has missed 3 scheduled autocrosses, 2 HPDEs and numerous CCA events because it was in service awaiting parts from Germany. There have been numerous other and sundry issues.

This is a "BIG" vehicle. It is very difficult to judge the corners. This has resulted in numerous wheels repairs from hitting curves. It has been in a body shop 5 times from people running into it while checking it out on the road, texting and talking on cell phone and the occasional tardate who enjoys cutting people with expensive cars off with his beater. Someone went out of their way to plow into it while it was parked carefully in a parking lot. That was $6K. The headlight assembly alone was $2500.

I do not recommend driving this vehicle without at least MDM on unless you have training in driving. This vehicle will get away from you. Driving this manually with the DCT is considerably different than the auto setting. The auto setting seems to have a hidden "stupid gear" in which it simply takes off like a raped rape. If you are not ready for it, you will be joining the driver in front of you in their seat.

You need to be nice to people at the gas station. They will come over to ogle it. I had a teenager photograph it unbeknownst to me and he posted it on twitter and started a "Where's Waldo" game in which people would take pictures of it to prove a "sighting" all over the city. It is a very striking vehicle and creates different emotional reactions in different people. Some not very friendly.

BMW customer service has not been helpful providing consideration for the vehicle being out of commission for months now. In deference to them, these issues are not considered catastrophic. Mine was the first shipment of these so it would understandably have some problems. I just wish it did not have so many. Most of the issues are the same as other owners have posted. Some resolved, some not.

Suggest reading forums as you are, talking to dealer to include an M designated dealer's service person knowledgeable with its quirks. Read all published tech bulletins and updates. Then make sure you seriously test drive one before you buy it. I was not able to do it because none were available. Go to the M school. You can really tear one up along with an M3 and M5.

Someone asked me then what I would buy given what is out there. Another F12/F13 M6 vert/coupe. Given all of the EPA, CAFE and other regulations auto companies are now dealing with, I do not think you can get another vehicle that gives you what the M6 does for the money. By the way, I love my Beast! Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stonehands
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 08:26 AM   #21
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by F12M6MD View Post
Put 24k miles on my '13 M6. Daily driver. Best car I've owned for that purpose. I'm a 2 door guy. Had Meisterschaft cat back. Loved the sound. Like anything, you get used to it and your eyes start wandering. Mine did...to an M4. Some regrets, may be coming back to the F13. Good luck.

Mark
Not to hi-jack the thread, but just to add up (since I've got M6 dreams for quite some time now ))):

Could you elaborate a bit more on two points please:
1) How was Meisterschaft exhaust? I know they're crazy loud in general, but how's it on the inside - any drone? And how is it quality wise if compared to Eisennman or Akrapovic?
2) What made you go from M6 to M4 and then back to M6? I'm just saving up for my next dream car (which is M6 in LCI form) and for that money, well... there are a lot of fun options that bother my mind (apart from cross-shopping the dark side/etc. - M4 could technically be a cheaper fun "alternative"). Was it lack of power/comfort (i.e. materials are worse or you missed some option like B&O) or smth else?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #22
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
Not to hi-jack the thread, but just to add up (since I've got M6 dreams for quite some time now ))):

Could you elaborate a bit more on two points please:
1) How was Meisterschaft exhaust? I know they're crazy loud in general, but how's it on the inside - any drone? And how is it quality wise if compared to Eisennman or Akrapovic?
2) What made you go from M6 to M4 and then back to M6? I'm just saving up for my next dream car (which is M6 in LCI form) and for that money, well... there are a lot of fun options that bother my mind (apart from cross-shopping the dark side/etc. - M4 could technically be a cheaper fun "alternative"). Was it lack of power/comfort (i.e. materials are worse or you missed some option like B&O) or smth else?
I'm not sure about him, but I know at least one reason if you go to M4, will regret and that is POWER. Don't get me wrong! I love M4 and will get it soon, but not with trading the M6. I would like to have both of them. M4 is a nimble fun car, but M6 is a monster. You need to test drive it to get what I am talking about
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0