BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

550xi to 650xi GC?

So, I picked up my 2014 550xi just shy of a year ago and love it. However, I have to admit - I'm a BIT disappointed that I didn't spring for the 6GC now looking back. I couldn't justify the price premium at the time, but I'm still wishing I had gone with it instead.

So, now I have about 6500 miles on the 550xi. I'm contemplating doing something irrational and trading it - which I'm guessing I'll take a bit hit - or trying to talk myself into sticking with the 550xi for a few years.

Essentially, I can't justify much aside from styling in the move. The only two options I left off the 550xi were B&O and night vision... neither of which I really regret, but I suppose if I upgraded to the GC I'd get both just to round things out and make it feel a bit more like an upgrade. Otherwise, everything would be relatively the same in the engine and tech departments.

So, I'm looking for some feedback. Anyone make this move? Anything else to consider aside from the large depreciation hit I'll take on the 5? I usually drive alone or with one other person on business trips - wife has an SUV for taking the family out - so I'm not too concerned about any loss of space if I can still carry 3 other adults if every necessary.

Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

The 6 for a daily is a lot different compared to the 5. In the 6 you sit lower and more like in a coupe vs the 5. On long trips the 5 will be more comfortable vs the 6. The 6 is the better looking car, IMO drivers better than the 5 as well. But would I take a big hit to go from a 5 to a 6 simply because of the way it looks? No. You have to first drive the 6 to feel if it is worth it though.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

If I wanted to choose between 550 and 650 I would go with 650i (and that's what I did 3 years ago), but I would never trade 550 to get 650 and lose lots of money because of the look specially when (as you said) they both have the same engine and drive train....
it's just my opinion!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Mtechnique
Old member of E 60 *****!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
If I wanted to choose between 550 and 650 I would go with 650i (and that's what I did 3 years ago), but I would never trade 550 to get 650 and lose lots of money because of the look specially when (as you said) they both have the same engine and drive train....
it's just my opinion!
I agree . It does not make too much sense to lose a big chunk of money. Perhaps if you wait a year you can lower your loss and upgrade to 6er LCI in 2016...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtechnique View Post
I agree . It does not make too much sense to lose a big chunk of money. Perhaps if you wait a year you can lower your loss and upgrade to 6er LCI in 2016...
OK good to know - I wasn't tracking when the LCI was due out, but it's MY2016?

I agree with you guys - hard to justify the loss on the 5. At the very least, I guess, I'd want to get the LCI if there's any decent upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I wouldn't make the trade. If you're bored with the looks, throw in $10k in tasteful mod which is cheaper than a 650GC and will turn heads. Otherwise, save up a bit more and get the M6 GC so you won't regret not getting the M6 GC instead later.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I agree with the others - you have to drive it and see if it is worth it for you. To me, the 5-series is a LOT more comfortable (the seats in the GC and I believe the coupe/vert) are rocks. Some people like that. But man, there is a HUGE difference going between those two cars.

Also as noted you sit lower in the 6GC vs. the 5.

What wasn't noted was the steering feel - I found it dramatically different from the 5-series (xi to xi). This has been noted by others - something about the position of the steering rack? Not sure.

At the end of the day I do agree with most people here -if it is a huge hit, it probably is not worth it. My addition is "unless you really like the way it rides and feels" - just don't do it for the looks alone.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I wouldn't make the trade. If you're bored with the looks, throw in $10k in tasteful mod which is cheaper than a 650GC and will turn heads. Otherwise, save up a bit more and get the M6 GC so you won't regret not getting the M6 GC instead later.
Price isn't an issue - I'd otherwise gladly get the M6. However, I won't consider the M6GC simply because it's rear-wheel drive. I have an Audi R8 V10 for summer / fun driving - the 550xi is a DD for me, which means it needs to contend with snow and ice in a typical CT winter. While I've driven RWD cars through the winter, the M5/M6 just has too much power for only RWD - shame. If the next M cars offered xDrive, I'd probably be much more inclined to consider it.

I guess I also didn't realize the 6GC was behind the 5 in some areas - probably because the 5 has gone through the LCI update, which gave it the touchpad iDrive controller, mirror blinkers, etc. I wouldn't want to go backwards, necessarily, so I'll probably wait until at least the LCI to consider the 6.

The 5's seats ARE extremely comfortable, as well - it's like being in a living room chair. I'm 35 - so no bad back or age-related issues thankfully, so I'm not overly concerned if I lost some of that comfort - it wasn't a primary buying decision for the 5. But the "rock hard" comment makes me think I'll need to take a nice long test drive.

How have you guys found the trunk space? Again, I mainly travel alone or with one other most times - not usually carrying much (wife has an SUV for the family-like stuff) - but I'm curious if the trunk is sufficient for a few suitcases or any other issues?

Also - noticed the sunroof doesn't slide open, only tilts. While I don't open the sunroof often, I pretty much NEVER tilt it either. So I'm trying to judge whether I'll miss the ability to get some fresh air through the roof.

Any other drawbacks or differences to be aware of?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Good point on AWD. I believe BMW is considering it as an option in the future, but it does take the fun away a bit if it's AWD. The trunk is huge, so you will not have an issue carrying your golf bags and luggage. I had an F10 535i, so I can give you the perspective. If you carry anyone in the rear, then you're not losing out on rear creature comfort. The back seats have lower head rooms and can only haul 2 adults in the rear. The seats do break in eventually and it's quite comfortable, I traded my 750LI for the 6GC so I don't feel that I sacrifice any driver comfort.

On the sunroof, I do use the tilt a lot for ventilation. It's very quiet when it is open.

Coming from a 5, the only thing you'll miss is a low profile. You will get a lot more head turns with a 6GC. People will come up to you at gas stations to ask questions and taking pictures. The 6GC is a bit heavier than a 5 on paper, but it doesn't feel heavier.

Overall, I believe the 6GC is the most beautiful BMW ever produced. I like seeing other car people staring at it and I always turn around to look at it after I park it. I didn't have that feeling for a car before, even my 7 or 5. If you're a car nut, trust pull the trigger on it. As someone told me once, you can never have it all in life but you can enjoy them eventually over time.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Ahhh, I forgot about the sunroof. One of those things you DON'T want to find out after you have bought the car. But when I thought about it, I really wasn't opening my sunroof much (at least here in Chicago). Maybe 2-4 times per year? So can I say I miss it? Maybe a little (because at least once I went to open it and went - darn).

On the M6GC - also don't forget, that thing doesn't even HAVE a sunroof! And it is one dark cabin. So I really do appreciate the large sunroof in the 6GC for lighting up the place as well as the shade for those hot days when the car is just cooking. Long story short - I enjoy the huge sunroof and have gotten over it not opening.

For 2015, the 6-series got the new touch controller. Not sure what is planned for the LCI - I'm expecting the bumper/front end treatment.

I should also add that the MSport Edition with the 6 is really really nice. You get all of those features you really would want but aren't sure they are worth the money for the low low price of $5,300. For instance I LOVE the leather dash and contrast stitching - having that included is very nice. Of course the car still prices out $15-20K more than a 5-series even with this great discount But can you even get a leather dash on the 2015 5-series? (not sure)

Also the Nappa leather is also really nice to the touch (the Dakota always seemed rough to me). I see that BMW finally brought that back in the 2015 550s (you had to get Mocha before to get it).

Finally, remember the windows are frame-less in the 6-series. So while soft close doors are included in the MSport Edition -they are worthless since the doors close with such ease. If I could transfer that option to my wife's MDX I would do it in a heartbeat.

Last but not least, the rear seats do go down in the 6GC - one of those things I totally forgot to check and even my dealer said they did not go down. I read this thing called the manual and found the handles.

Oh and no issues with the trunk space.

HTH!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
sk0525
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F85

I'm not mentioning anything new here but having driven both a 5 and 6 series here are my thoughts:

5 series is more comfortable for a long drive for up to 4 passengers. 6 series is more comfortable for a long drive for a driver and passenger only.

6 series sunroof does not open but I rarely do more than tilt anyway, and I live in LA.

I wouldn't switch and lose a ton of money though unless you have money to burn. The only way I would do it is if I was able to get rid of the lease through a private party. You will lose money trying to trade the car in a year early.

Lots of good advice here. Good luck.
      10-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
DRIVE IT!
IT'll hook you or it won't
Couldn't be simpler.
:-)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Awesome input guys. So the 2015 has the touch controller - but not the mirror indicators? Not that it's such a big deal as I rarely use the touch input and well, the mirror indicators can't be seen by me, the driver!

I'm curious what the LCI will bring, though. I may ping my CA and just fish around for what they'd do for me if I decided to trade up with so little time/mileage on my 550xi. I really do need to test drive the 6GC, though, since I can say without a doubt the comfort of the 5, while not a buying factor, has really grown on me. I've driven 3's with sport suspensions, though, for many years - so I highly doubt the 6GC can offer anything unacceptable in terms of ride quality/comfort, but I'd have to think about whether it's worth giving it up.

The 5 in 2014 didn't offer a leather dash option (I would have gotten it), but I do believe it's part of the executive package now for the 2015's. I left off the B&O, as well, and I think I'd probably take the opportunity to "correct" that with a 6GC. After pricing it out, though, it's awfully expensive in comparison to the 550xi - a good $20k - 30k or so more than I paid for the 550xi (something like $86k, I think). For that, though, I'd get a few upgrades, but most is pretty equivalent, I think.

I appreciate all of the great feedback here, too - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
L2Fly
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Awesome input guys. So the 2015 has the touch controller - but not the mirror indicators? Not that it's such a big deal as I rarely use the touch input and well, the mirror indicators can't be seen by me, the driver!

I'm curious what the LCI will bring, though. I may ping my CA and just fish around for what they'd do for me if I decided to trade up with so little time/mileage on my 550xi. I really do need to test drive the 6GC, though, since I can say without a doubt the comfort of the 5, while not a buying factor, has really grown on me. I've driven 3's with sport suspensions, though, for many years - so I highly doubt the 6GC can offer anything unacceptable in terms of ride quality/comfort, but I'd have to think about whether it's worth giving it up.

The 5 in 2014 didn't offer a leather dash option (I would have gotten it), but I do believe it's part of the executive package now for the 2015's. I left off the B&O, as well, and I think I'd probably take the opportunity to "correct" that with a 6GC. After pricing it out, though, it's awfully expensive in comparison to the 550xi - a good $20k - 30k or so more than I paid for the 550xi (something like $86k, I think). For that, though, I'd get a few upgrades, but most is pretty equivalent, I think.

I appreciate all of the great feedback here, too - thanks!
If only you'd have come here earlier! Can't go wrong with a 6 from a 5... They're stunning inside and out. Hope it all works out for you and your wallet, brother. That's a drool-worthy R8 you got there, too.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've driven 3's with sport suspensions, though, for many years - so I highly doubt the 6GC can offer anything unacceptable in terms of ride quality/comfort, but I'd have to think about whether it's worth giving it up.
Ohhh, missed that one too - my bad. The ride with the 20s and the RFTs is pretty brutal. You need to go with the 19s and all seasons where you live. I switched out my RTFs to all seasons (Conti DWS) because I could not find a set of 19s I liked/wanted. Ride is much improved (maybe too much?).

So stick with the 19s.

The car (equivalent) should not be more than $20K higher however*. Oh and the stock stereo is now the HK in the 6-series. So I would certainly listen to it vs. the B&O. I like the B&O and am glad my car came with it - but it is not the best sounding system in the world and I would put my X6 HK stereo up against it any day (from memory that is!).

*I've got a 6GC with leather dash and ventilated seats at $99,800 and a 5-series without leather dash (I think) and no ventilated seats at $80,850.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #16
Brazz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Garage List
2014 640i GC  [0.00]
It may not be the same because of the difference in years but I moved from a 2008 M-Sport 550 to a 2014 M-Sport 640GC. To me the ride is better in the GC because the car is bigger. The cars are totally different. I agree with masses. If money is not an issue drive the car and you will know right away. My bet is you will be trading. LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2Fly View Post
If only you'd have come here earlier! Can't go wrong with a 6 from a 5... They're stunning inside and out. Hope it all works out for you and your wallet, brother. That's a drool-worthy R8 you got there, too.
I know - I had my mind set on the 5 for a while, so I think I just "defaulted" to buying it vs. considering the 6GC. Hate when that happens! At the time I also just thought the 6GC was an unnecessary premium over the 5... but I've been thinking about it since!

Thanks for the compliment on the R8, too - yes, it's a ridiculous machine. I'm not a huge Audi fan, but this is something they did very, very right. It's a scary fast car with simply stunning handling. There's nothing quite like hearing a V10 revving to 9k RPM, engine whining behind your head, and the exhaust roar echoing behind. Here's a pic of the R8 hanging out with the (very dirty) 550xi. The 5 seems HUGE to me when I get in it after driving the R8, but it also feels completely luxurious. The R8 has the "basics" covered, but even as a relatively "comfortable" exotic, it's still punishing over time... where the 5 just pampers you in every single way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #18
L2Fly
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13

Quote:
I know - I had my mind set on the 5 for a while, so I think I just "defaulted" to buying it vs. considering the 6GC. Hate when that happens! At the time I also just thought the 6GC was an unnecessary premium over the 5... but I've been thinking about it since!

Thanks for the compliment on the R8, too - yes, it's a ridiculous machine. I'm not a huge Audi fan, but this is something they did very, very right. It's a scary fast car with simply stunning handling. There's nothing quite like hearing a V10 revving to 9k RPM, engine whining behind your head, and the exhaust roar echoing behind. Here's a pic of the R8 hanging out with the (very dirty) 550xi. The 5 seems HUGE to me when I get in it after driving the R8, but it also feels completely luxurious. The R8 has the "basics" covered, but even as a relatively "comfortable" exotic, it's still punishing over time... where the 5 just pampers you in every single way.
I know exactly what you mean. It's like you're completely satisfied until one pulls up next to you, and then it makes you wonder. But for the R8, I'm also on you're side... I prefer Mercedes and BMW over any Audi any day, but there's something about an R8 that totally works, it may be because the R8 is leaps and bounds better than any other car Audi make. That's a great combo: one leaves you drained, and the other will get you back on your feet. Damn gorgeous car, once again. 👍
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #19
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
So, I picked up my 2014 550xi just shy of a year ago and love it. However, I have to admit - I'm a BIT disappointed that I didn't spring for the 6GC now looking back. I couldn't justify the price premium at the time, but I'm still wishing I had gone with it instead.

So, now I have about 6500 miles on the 550xi. I'm contemplating doing something irrational and trading it - which I'm guessing I'll take a bit hit - or trying to talk myself into sticking with the 550xi for a few years.

Essentially, I can't justify much aside from styling in the move. The only two options I left off the 550xi were B&O and night vision... neither of which I really regret, but I suppose if I upgraded to the GC I'd get both just to round things out and make it feel a bit more like an upgrade. Otherwise, everything would be relatively the same in the engine and tech departments.

So, I'm looking for some feedback. Anyone make this move? Anything else to consider aside from the large depreciation hit I'll take on the 5? I usually drive alone or with one other person on business trips - wife has an SUV for taking the family out - so I'm not too concerned about any loss of space if I can still carry 3 other adults if every necessary.

Thanks for the feedback!
I just did the same thing you are contemplating. Test drove both in 2012 and ended up going with a 550i as it was the better cost and common/easily obtained vehicle versus the 6 series. Also my dealer didn't have any 650i's GC in stock and only 640i GC as the time and no M5's which is what I originally went in for.

So fast forward 2 yrs and a few mods later I had a very nice 550i which was basically as good for day to day performance as the M5 I originally sought. Put a lot of $$ and effort (and Dinan) into that car and LOVED it. It was great. Was totally satisfied. However on a recent trip to the dealer for service/repair, I ran across a '14 650xi GC on the lot that was pretty perfect and an option. Asked a question about the car and dealer aggressively followed up with an offer and pricing. Basically he wantied to move the car and when I told them to make me a deal that made "sense" and made me want to move from my 550i; they did so after a few go arounds. So I did move/upgrade and did so at a very good and comfortable price point for me. The critical thing here [especially with respect to $$] is I took an 2014 650xi GC that they had in stock...BMW and a few dealers seem to be willing to offer significant $$ on these cars to include $10-15k off M6 GC I've also seen now that 2015's are arriving on the lots. So with all rebates from BMW CCA, dealer trade money on my 550i on the deal, my 650xi was obtained and somewhat around 12-14%+ off sticker. I also got some of my upgrade parts removed and back from my 550i which I then was able to re-sell to new F10 owners for a few $k back.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16692255

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16666356

So it can work out...depends on the specific scenario and your tolerances for cost, loss, trade, new car price, etc. Some research may be needed. Good luck...650ix GC is a great car...the one I should have gotten 2 yrs ago I think! LOL
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I agree with the others - you have to drive it and see if it is worth it for you. To me, the 5-series is a LOT more comfortable (the seats in the GC and I believe the coupe/vert) are rocks. Some people like that. But man, there is a HUGE difference going between those two cars.

Also as noted you sit lower in the 6GC vs. the 5.

What wasn't noted was the steering feel - I found it dramatically different from the 5-series (xi to xi). This has been noted by others - something about the position of the steering rack? Not sure.

At the end of the day I do agree with most people here -if it is a huge hit, it probably is not worth it. My addition is "unless you really like the way it rides and feels" - just don't do it for the looks alone.
On steering one thing I've noted and has been reviewed but is missed is the 650ix has traditional hydraulic steering not the newer electronically assisted steering that the 650i and 550i's have. Something basically about not being able to fit the steering gear into the 650ix due to the AWD system so they went with the older/hydraulic style system which is why many reviewers say it has such a better steering feel. As for trunk space....no issues. Same as the 550i. Seats do fold and my dealer had no problems putting my 550i front splitter, 2 mufflers, a set of M5 sway bars and all weather mats in the trunk and rear with the seats folded down when I picked up my old 550 parts I wanted back off the car. Sunroof isn't a problem either. Yes it doesn't open but as most have already said I used mine open maybe 10% of the time and mostly only during summer months. The remaining 60% of the time it was titled or closed the rest. Also its huge and if you open the sunshade it lets tons of light in and really brightens up the interior. No issues there. M sport package just looks great on the car...wouldn't own a modern BMW without it that wasn't an M car. Steering see above. The only thing I insisted on changing though from the dealer was RFTs. M package gave the car M Series rims in 20" and RFTs...well I ditched my 19" RFT's on my 550 about 1 mo after purchase as they suck and do more harm than good when damaged or flat IMHO. Replaced them with 19" Michilen Pilot Sport A/S on same OEM 19" M series wheels. Ride great and also 19" is easier to find winter/snow or AS tires for than 20" if you need it which if you're in CT you do get a lot of the white stuff there [wife is from Hartford]. So when I got the 650i I made them swap my 19" M rims and non-RFT over to the 650ix and just take the RFT 20" tires on the car and put them on my 550i and give me credit for them (approx. $1400-1600 on the sticker I think). Worked for me as the RFT just are something I will not do on my cars...some like em but not me.

Otherwise I agree with most of what others have said and as someone who has actually done what you propose...I can understand your thought process. Just food for thought. Hope it helped some. Rob
Attached Images

'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten

Last edited by mdrobc13; 10-04-2014 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #21
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Interestingly enough

My friend and I traded cars last night - I'm now driving his 550xi and he has my 650GCxi.

I only drove it to the airport this morning and it was 4:30AM. I seem to remember
1. Felt "floatier" than my car. More bouncy?
2. That new iDrive knob is huge! That will take a little getting used to

That's all I have - it is weak, but damn, I was tired.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #22
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
My friend and I traded cars last night - I'm now driving his 550xi and he has my 650GCxi.

I only drove it to the airport this morning and it was 4:30AM. I seem to remember
1. Felt "floatier" than my car. More bouncy?
2. That new iDrive knob is huge! That will take a little getting used to

That's all I have - it is weak, but damn, I was tired.
The iDrive knob IS huge - you can palm the thing. I guess it's just due to the surface area added for the writing recognition. I've gotten used to the largeness of it, but to be honest I NEVER use the writing recognition. Given how quick the new system is, I'll either just enter it manually or better yet just speak it. The voice recognition has come a long way. Otherwise, I've also taken to just sending the location ahead of time via Google Send to Car... not that it always works.

Which suspension does the car have? I've noticed that the standard suspension is pretty terrible. The sport suspension is OK (albeit permanently stiffer), and the DHP (which I have) is moderate in its default mode (Comfort) but can be sufficiently stiff in the Sport mode. I do imagine the default mode (Comfort) must feel more squishy in the 5, though.
Appreciate 0