BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-03-2014, 05:10 AM   #1
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

What next? It is getting a bit much

I see BMW revealed the 4GC. Which does not look a lot different from the 3GT. Or is that the 4GT? Or the 3-series sedan? 5GT? Or some other BMW? What is next?

Ok, confession time. I am one of the die-hard people who think that a coupe is a two-door car. (I am REALLY NOT trying to offend the GC owners here, but that is what I think.) With a four-door, you unavoidably change the lines and shorten the front doors a lot - long, sleek front doors being one of the essential design features of a true coupe. (According to me, anyway.)

So please BMW. Stop this madness. It is all flowing together, supposedly re-generating into a something 'new', which is not new at all. The ultimate automotive amoeba. Go on like this, and it will become a big amorphous mass. And mess.

BMW, one other request. Please reserve one series number (8,9,10, 42, I don't care) for a pure, large, two-door car. We can decide what to call it, now that coupe has lost its meaning. I will let you have my ideas. (For a small fee, or a prototype.)

I feel better now.

R.

Ps. Even if you are a GC owner, and a bit irritated by my views about two door coupes, grant me this - BMW is making too many variants of ALL its cars, and soon very few will be able to distinguish one from the other. (And yes, I am a life-long BMW fan.)

Last edited by roadsta; 02-03-2014 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsta View Post
I see BMW revealed the 4GC. Which does not look a lot different from the 3GT. Or is that the 4GT? Or the 3-series sedan? 5GT? Or some other BMW? What is next?

Ok, confession time. I am one of the die-hard people who think that a coupe is a two-door car. (I am REALLY NOT trying to offend the GC owners here, but that is what I think.) With a four-door, you unavoidably change the lines and shorten the front doors a lot - long, sleek front doors being one of the essential design features of a true coupe. (According to me, anyway.)

So please BMW. Stop this madness. It is all flowing together, supposedly re-generating into a something 'new', which is not new at all. The ultimate automotive amoeba. Go on like this, and it will become a big amorphous mass. And mess.

BMW, one other request. Please reserve one series number (8,9,10, 42, I don't care) for a pure, large, two-door car. We can decide what to call it, now that coupe has lost its meaning. I will let you have my ideas. (For a small fee, or a prototype.)

I feel better now.

R.

Ps. Even if you are a GC owner, and a bit irritated by my views about two door coupes, grant me this - BMW is making too many variants of ALL its cars, and soon very few will be able to distinguish one from the other. (And yes, I am a life-long BMW fan.)
I love the 6GC looks long sleek etc....Its a huge car though..The 4GC honestly looks horrible, poorly executed. They should have made it on the L version of the 3 they sell in China. The car needs to be longer to better execute the 4 door coupe theme..
      02-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I'm okay with the 6GC because the 6 at least looks significantly different from the other mainstream cars.

When I saw the comparison of the 3, 4, and 4 GC I was having a hard time distinguishing between them. Sure, a 3 is different from a 4, but not as different as a 5 from a 6.

I guess this lets them sell what is essentially a 3 series at a price that's higher than a 4 series when all they're pretty much doing is changing the badge. Sure, the kink in the rear windows is different, and they added the new trunk/tailgate, but I think it'll be pretty hard to spot the difference in the real world.

I can understand the 6GC as the other Germans pretty much forced them into it with the S7 and CLS. But why can't BMW apply this same logic and offer an R8 and SLS competitor? Sure, the i8 is an incredibly cool car and has some great engineering to make the thing do what they're claiming. However, I don't think anyone (including future i8 owners) are looking at that car thinking it's a super car. It's an engineering marvel being only a 3-cyl, but that's not something you can say out loud without mumbling through it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

SAE defines coupe by the rear interior volume and not number of doors. Technically the 6GC is not a coupe but other than a couple extra doors, it is styled like one.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I'm okay with the 6GC because the 6 at least looks significantly different from the other mainstream cars.

When I saw the comparison of the 3, 4, and 4 GC I was having a hard time distinguishing between them. Sure, a 3 is different from a 4, but not as different as a 5 from a 6.

I guess this lets them sell what is essentially a 3 series at a price that's higher than a 4 series when all they're pretty much doing is changing the badge. Sure, the kink in the rear windows is different, and they added the new trunk/tailgate, but I think it'll be pretty hard to spot the difference in the real world.

I can understand the 6GC as the other Germans pretty much forced them into it with the S7 and CLS. But why can't BMW apply this same logic and offer an R8 and SLS competitor? Sure, the i8 is an incredibly cool car and has some great engineering to make the thing do what they're claiming. However, I don't think anyone (including future i8 owners) are looking at that car thinking it's a super car. It's an engineering marvel being only a 3-cyl, but that's not something you can say out loud without mumbling through it.
You right on about the i8. That 3 cylinder kills it for me big time and I have to chuckle when I link the price of the car to it. BMW can engineer anything they want - but this is taking engine downsizing to a new level. And I still say somebody paying $140,000 for a car is not to to have gas mileage as a top priority.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I love all the cars BMW is coming out with. Everyone seems to have a 3-series and I like something more unique (I drive an X6 after all). The 4-series is nice, but I need seating for 5. Now comes the 4GC...with seating for 5 and unique looks. Yummmy.

The 3GT is actually very roomy and would be on my list... if it had a manual.

So I say, keep the new stuff coming. Love it. It does however make my choices for a new car much more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
GreyCoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 650i Coupe

Guess I am old fashioned...Coupe means two-door to me...and that should have an impact on the series numbering formula.

I thought the company's series nomenclature was headed for odd =four door, and even =two door, but that is clearly not it. The progression should carry some sort of meaning, a logic that connotes something. Unless that is still forthcoming, it just seems dumb as it currently is...
Enjoyed some fun cars over the years: 1966 Corvette Convertible, 240Z, E24 L6, 300CE-24, 2004 645 Ci, 550SL, A6s, 535xi, E300/Bluetec/420, Grand Cherokee Overland, 2012 650i Coupe, 12 CL550, 13 SL550, 15 650i Coupe
Appreciate 0