BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Diesel 640d xDrive Gran Coupé in North America?

Does anyone know if the next generation 6 series will offer Diesel version in North America?
I'm surprised why BMW never offered the current Diesel version for NorAm

http://www.bmw.de/vc/ncc/xhtml/start...2#MODEL_ENGINE
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

For some odd reason, diesels never took off in America. I never had a diesel, but I have friends to switch and haven't gone back. The low torque and awesome mpg are making me tempted to get a diesel X5 once my gas one is ready to be traded.

Maybe they're having trouble selling the 535d, so there's no sense of introducing the 640d???
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
In contrary, In Canada the 5series diesel is selling like crazy...
Also X5 Diesel is on back order and I was one of the luckier ones since my Diesel X5 was the first batch of orders that arrived into Canada...after that, I hear the incentives are still extremely low from dealerships as the F25 is still on back order...
I've had 2 gasoline vehicles, one an F10 (X3), and an F30 (3series)...I've sold both due to relatively higher mpg vs. diesel... (it is to strongly note that compared to other brand gasolines, they still kicked ass dramatically... I have a ford edge company vehicle and I'm visiting the gas station every 3 days or so!!!)
I'm very happy with the X5...the torque is a MONSTER!!! and the consumption (as well as environmental impact) is significantly improved.
I'm basically used to driving Diesel (Europe) and I'm happy I did revert back to it...the engine is extremely strong and quite at the same time...
Needless to say, hence my search for a Diesel sedan following the recent sale of my F30.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
In contrary, In Canada the 5series diesel is selling like crazy...
Also X5 Diesel is on back order and I was one of the luckier ones since my Diesel X5 was the first batch of orders that arrived into Canada...after that, I hear the incentives are still extremely low from dealerships as the F25 is still on back order...
I've had 2 gasoline vehicles, one an F10 (X3), and an F30 (3series)...I've sold both due to relatively higher mpg vs. diesel... (it is to strongly note that compared to other brand gasolines, they still kicked ass dramatically... I have a ford edge company vehicle and I'm visiting the gas station every 3 days or so!!!)
I'm very happy with the X5...the torque is a MONSTER!!! and the consumption (as well as environmental impact) is significantly improved.
I'm basically used to driving Diesel (Europe) and I'm happy I did revert back to it...the engine is extremely strong and quite at the same time...
Needless to say, hence my search for a Diesel sedan following the recent sale of my F30.
Any cold weather issues with the diesel?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
sk0525
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
For some odd reason, diesels never took off in America. I never had a diesel, but I have friends to switch and haven't gone back. The low torque and awesome mpg are making me tempted to get a diesel X5 once my gas one is ready to be traded.

Maybe they're having trouble selling the 535d, so there's no sense of introducing the 640d???
This never made sense to me. I think there are a lot of people who associate the newer diesels with the old black smoke diesels from the 80s. From my experience, you have the best of both worlds: torque and excellent mpg. What's not to like? If they offered a F06 diesel I would be all over it. I've had the 335d and 535d and was about to order an X5d until I picked up the F06.
Appreciate 0