BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
faloppi88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

New Member - Launch Question

Hello everyone,

New member here. Wasn't drawn to BMWs for a while and when I saw the 6er GC for the first time, it brought me back into the fold. Leased a '15 650xi GC at the end of April and have loved it ever since. I almost bought an Audi S7, but at the end of the day I felt like the GC could do about 90% of what the S7 could do, with a lot more interior and exterior styling (it also helped the 6 series leases much better, even with higher MSRP). Capitalized cost was just under $93K with $106K MSRP. It's black sapphire with cognac brown interior and only options I can think of that it's missing outside of the individual stuff is night vision and adaptive roll bars.

I'm sure most everyone here is naturally biased towards BMW, but I must say that the S7 made it a tough race for me. Though I'm happy with my decision and have been even happier that there are quite a bit of cheap mods out there that make the car more fun, while not worrying that I'm dropping too much $ on a car I'm returning in 36 months (easily reversible, for dealer service too).

The dealer put in the black grill for me, and since purchase I had the windows tinted with ceramic 35%, us mill works quick release front license plate holder, BMS stage 1 piggyback cranked up to 1PM on 93 octane, and BMS spacers 10mm F/12mm R. This probably will be the extent of the mods, other than a set of winter wheels/tires. Again, since it's leased, I don't want to do too much to it and really it's such a great car stock (but we know us car guys get the bug no matter high up the ladder we purchase). That said, I have been thinking about a rear spoiler, the whole car has such great lines and I feel like the rear is just missing something, so maybe I'm already kidding myself.

So now my question; I really love this BMS tune and the car pulls really hard from about 3000 to 6000 RPM. The only thing I can't get the car to do is launch very hard. Even in Sport+, in S trans mode, and getting the Launch Control to activate (flag in dash with brake held and kickdown pressed), the car stalls (not literally) until it hits somewhere between 2.5-3K, then it pulls strong. I know it's all-wheel drive and it would be tough to get wheel spin (I have the 20" 373m wheels), but I wish I could get it to slip just a little to get it higher in the RPM range than launch control will hold it. I'm not sure if it's the turbos spooling up or the delay in throttle response (except the throttle is already held at max position). Is what I'm experiencing standard for all of you with xdrive and the n63tu motor? How do you usually launch if you're looking for a good 60 foot time whether at the strip or light to light?

Thanks everyone and for the good info you have on the board. Here's some pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Congrats on the car!! Looks like a Gran awd beast! Look into the pedalbox by DTE, it's around $260 and will transform the drive by wire and make the car feel a lot less laggy on the low end. Also in regards to the launch control, is it active on your car, I ask because it was not on mine and i had to get it coded to be active. Maybe on the X drive it's already active but if you see the flag it should be working and i get my hardest launches doing it that way.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

Subscribed. Curious I never heard a non M car with launch ctl.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:25 AM   #4
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
Subscribed. Curious I never heard a non M car with launch ctl.
Your car has launch control, it needs to be coded in order to activate it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
faloppi88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

My understanding is that Launch Control was added as standard to the 2015 model without coding. I do definitely get the Flag and it holds the car at about 2300 or so, which I assume is where the torque converter stalls.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
Your car has launch control, it needs to be coded in order to activate it.
Yep, confirmed today I don't have it on the '14
Appreciate 0