BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-02-2016, 02:40 AM   #1
BirKleanDetailing335d
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Wagon

DIY Spring Change

Just got some eibach springs for my old man's 640d f12 f12 convertible

Wondering if there's and how to guides or videos of someone that has done it before?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 03:16 AM   #2
M6Havana
M6 f12 Havana
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab

I need to do mine so if you do find one, im happy to come help and get both done
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
j_d_valle
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e30/bmw f13

When i did my car i used a step by step from the f10 forum. Its the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
drmlee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F06 650i

fronts really easy and pretty straight forward. if you cant figure the front out by just looking at it, I wouldn't recommend DIY spring install. on the coupes and gran coupes, the rears a PIA because access to the 3 nuts for the rear shock mounts are under the rear deck behind the rear seats, instead of being able to access them from the trunk like the last gen models. ive never seen or done a vert, so I don't know if you access the top of the mount by opening the top 1/2 way or if you have to disassemble the rear deck like the other car. when I changed the springs on my GC, the fronts took me like 30 min, the rears took a lot longer because I has to partially disassemble the rear side pillars and deck to access the 3 bolts. also need air compressor, impact gun and long extensions/swivel to crack the bolt on the bottom of the shock/holding it to the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 03:09 AM   #5
M6Havana
M6 f12 Havana
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab

Whats the book time to get them changed over
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
drmlee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640m View Post
Whats the book time to get them changed over
I have no idea? I finished my gran coupe in about 2 1/2 hours with access to all the right tools, etc. it was my first time doing this gen 5/6. I would imagine the next time around, I could probably shave some time off.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
j_d_valle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmlee
fronts really easy and pretty straight forward. if you cant figure the front out by just looking at it, I wouldn't recommend DIY spring install. on the coupes and gran coupes, the rears a PIA because access to the 3 nuts for the rear shock mounts are under the rear deck behind the rear seats, instead of being able to access them from the trunk like the last gen models. ive never seen or done a vert, so I don't know if you access the top of the mount by opening the top 1/2 way or if you have to disassemble the rear deck like the other car. when I changed the springs on my GC, the fronts took me like 30 min, the rears took a lot longer because I has to partially disassemble the rear side pillars and deck to access the 3 bolts. also need air compressor, impact gun and long extensions/swivel to crack the bolt on the bottom of the shock/holding it to the car.
I've heard its a little bit harder on the gc because of the rear. In my case, i have a coupe. And you can get to the rear top strut nuts from the trunk no problem. But same as you, idk with verts.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
drmlee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_d_valle View Post
I've heard its a little bit harder on the gc because of the rear. In my case, i have a coupe. And you can get to the rear top strut nuts from the trunk no problem. But same as you, idk with verts.
didn't know the coupes were able to access from the trunk. figured it was the same as the gran coupe because F10 5 series are the same way. being able to access from trunk, that would probably shave at least an hour off the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #9
j_d_valle
Private
Rep

Yea. Apart from that, the only other difference that i found in the install compared to a f10 was that on the fronts i had to disconnect the upper control arm to have room to slide the strut/spring assembly out. In the diy it says you can do it by just removing the top 3 upper bolts and 1 lower without removing the control arm. I coudnt do it that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #10
Sameer LSB
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Can you possibly link me to the DIY thread as i need to do mine
Appreciate 0