BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
M6N
Rep
Drives: 370z Nismo & M6 GC

BMW SanFrancisco 2014 M6 GC no warranty options?

Hey guys im currently shopping around to buy a Used BMW M6 GC and one caught my eye thats for sale at BMW San Francisco. Its a used 2014 Singapore Grey M6 Gran Coupe with 31,578 miles. The price seems nice.

http://www.bmwsf.com/pre-owned/bmw/m...-gray--5476240

It Comes with options: EXECUTIVE PACKAGE, BANG & OLUFSEN, DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE, & M CARBON CERAMIC BRAKES.

The dealer says it is out of warranty and sold "As Is" with no warranty extension options through BMW. Will a third party warranty company warranty this vehicle even though BMW will not? if so which ones do you recommend? EuroMotorWerks in San Diego reccomends Alphera details below:

We offer an extended warranty backed by BMW called Alphera VSC Protection Platinum terms are

4yr/48,000 miles with $250 deductible -$3567
5yr/60,000 miles with $250 deductible-$4945

I noticed through car fax that this car was a lease vehicle with 2 different owners. But a red flag popped up at around the 3,000 mile mark saying the car didn't pass emissions but passed later that day a few miles later.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...6C9C55EDV73532

My concern is I don't want to buy a lemon but at the same time the vehicle was leased out to two different people after the fact. The car should be good right? looks like it was maintained a good majority of the time at San Francisco BMW so im currently asking the SA for maintenance records.

Also will the dealership allow me to do a Pre Purchase Inspection? Im looking to take the car to Metric Motors of San Francisco as they specialize in only German Make vehicles. Any other spots you guys recommend for PPI?

Thank you in advance for all of your help!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Rare that a M6 has ceramic brakes and is missing competition package. If I were you, I'd keep looking around. That isn't that good of a deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
Rare that a M6 has ceramic brakes and is missing competition package. If I were you, I'd keep looking around. That isn't that good of a deal.
I've been shopping around for a GC with CP and CCB and you'd be surprised how many cars have CCB but no CP...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
M6N
Rep

Quote:
Ive also noticed a few M6 GC's with Competition Packages but w/o CCB's.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6N View Post
Hey guys im currently shopping around to buy a Used BMW M6 GC and one caught my eye thats for sale at BMW San Francisco. Its a used 2014 Singapore Grey M6 Gran Coupe with 31,578 miles. The price seems nice.

http://www.bmwsf.com/pre-owned/bmw/m...-gray--5476240

It Comes with options: EXECUTIVE PACKAGE, BANG & OLUFSEN, DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE, & M CARBON CERAMIC BRAKES.

The dealer says it is out of warranty and sold "As Is" with no warranty extension options through BMW. Will a third party warranty company warranty this vehicle even though BMW will not? if so which ones do you recommend? EuroMotorWerks in San Diego reccomends Alphera details below:

We offer an extended warranty backed by BMW called Alphera VSC Protection Platinum terms are

4yr/48,000 miles with $250 deductible -$3567
5yr/60,000 miles with $250 deductible-$4945

I noticed through car fax that this car was a lease vehicle with 2 different owners. But a red flag popped up at around the 3,000 mile mark saying the car didn't pass emissions but passed later that day a few miles later.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...6C9C55EDV73532

My concern is I don't want to buy a lemon but at the same time the vehicle was leased out to two different people after the fact. The car should be good right? looks like it was maintained a good majority of the time at San Francisco BMW so im currently asking the SA for maintenance records.

Also will the dealership allow me to do a Pre Purchase Inspection? Im looking to take the car to Metric Motors of San Francisco as they specialize in only German Make vehicles. Any other spots you guys recommend for PPI?

Thank you in advance for all of your help!
It's funny, I actually briefly considered this car in my search but passed b/c it didn't have CP.

My advice for you:

1. The emissions failure record should be no dealbreaker. Bc we don't have any color on what happened, and the car passed, I'm going to say, it's okay now. CA does a CEL, visual and sniff test. Hard to say exactly what didn't pass.

2. For these newer, just off warranty cars, I say the full dealer maintenance record is what I'm looking for. Ensure that the break-in service was done on time. Run the VIN by your local SA, and he should advise whether the car will qualify for BMW warranty if sold based on the written records (remember they still have to do a visual too).

3. You can either buy 3rd party warranty or BMW warranty even as the car just exited original warranty. Just note that BMW warranty will be a bit more expensive compared to had you bought it while car was under warranty. You may want to ask dealer if he's willing to CPO this car for you instead. If dealer said no, I would say the reasons he make will be a major red flag. There's reasons why dealer didn't CPO this car, and it could be a vaild reasons (like selling it at a lower attractive price).

4. In any case, the car probably just exited warranty in the last few months. Even if something breaks right now, BMW will goodwill a large portion of the fixes. This goodwill amount diminishes over time.

5. One thing to consider: It was an early model 2013 car, and was auctioned to the dealer inventory around 3k miles from BMWNA address of record. This indicates the car was a press car or car used for promotions or even at driving events. I believe BMW reconditions these types of cars before they sell them, but there is no record of the early break-in oil service. I would ask BMW of SF if they're willing to CPO this car. If their answer is no b/c of this, I would pass or heavily discount the price.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-10-2017 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kong24680 View Post
I've been shopping around for a GC with CP and CCB and you'd be surprised how many cars have CCB but no CP...
Quote:
Ive also noticed a few M6 GC's with Competition Packages but w/o CCB's.
I am also looking for a M6 GC with CP and CCB at this point in my search.

Just to give you a gauge of the numbers:

There were 480 out of 1180 2014 model year GCs that had CP, about 40%. So it's in the minority, but I wouldn't call it "rare".

However, out of these 480, only 89 of them also had CCBs.

Keep in mind this is just for 2014 models. If you expand the search to 2015s, while I don't have the hard numbers, you can probably assume the same percentage.

I'm probably pulling a trigger on a '15 CP soon. There's significant price compression between 2014 and 2015 cars. The difference in price is around $3k-$4k. 2015s offer lower mileage on average and 1 more year of original warranty.

I am not committed to holding out for CCBs, and you too should be cautious what you wish for. You need to have a look at the CCB wear indicators on the rotors and the pad indicators on the CBS to gauge whether you'll be the one changing it or the next owner. And even if it's the next owner, IMO, it'll be a tough sell.

I know I wouldn't want to buy a CCB car at milages 60k-70k. I would have been passed on a $12k liability. Two months ago, I passed on a local 14 San Marino Blue GC with CCBs and CP. Main reason was that it had 40k miles on it, had paint chips all over, and dealer still wanted $63k.
      10-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

My understanding is that once the factory warranty has expired you cannot buy the factory gold or platinum warranty extension. I used Assurant for an Audi and had no issues, Mercury was slow and denied coverage on my claims (said pre-existing).

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #8
M6N
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
It's funny, I actually briefly considered this car in my search but passed b/c it didn't have CP.

My advice for you:

1. The emissions failure record should be no dealbreaker. Bc we don't have any color on what happened, and the car passed, I'm going to say, it's okay now. CA does a CEL, visual and sniff test. Hard to say exactly what didn't pass.

2. For these newer, just off warranty cars, I say the full dealer maintenance record is what I'm looking for. Ensure that the break-in service was done on time. Run the VIN by your local SA, and he should advise whether the car will qualify for BMW warranty if sold based on the written records (remember they still have to do a visual too).

3. You can either buy 3rd party warranty or BMW warranty even as the car just exited original warranty. Just note that BMW warranty will be a bit more expensive compared to had you bought it while car was under warranty. You may want to ask dealer if he's willing to CPO this car for you instead. If dealer said no, I would say the reasons he make will be a major red flag. There's reasons why dealer didn't CPO this car, and it could be a vaild reasons (like selling it at a lower attractive price).

4. In any case, the car probably just exited warranty in the last few months. Even if something breaks right now, BMW will goodwill a large portion of the fixes. This goodwill amount diminishes over time.

5. One thing to consider: It was an early model 2013 car, and was auctioned to the dealer inventory around 3k miles from BMWNA address of record. This indicates the car was a press car or car used for promotions or even at driving events. I believe BMW reconditions these types of cars before they sell them, but there is no record of the early break-in oil service. I would ask BMW of SF if they're willing to CPO this car. If their answer is no b/c of this, I would pass or heavily discount the price.

Flying Ace thank you for all of your insight its greatly appreciated! As far as getting the car CPO the SA and the Manager said they dont certify "M" cars as it costs them too much money to do so thus will only sell the car "As-Is." That sounds fishy to me....(red flag)

I also asked the SA for the second time if he could send over the vehicle maintenance records via email and unfortunately I haven't a received a response back. The first time I asked he said basically all of the records are on the carfax report...(red flag for me)

Thanks for checking on the history of the car, thats very interesting that it was a promotional car or press car, the no record of oil break in service would have never crossed my mind.

I believe im gonna pass on this one, if the SA and dealership believed in the cars integrity and wanted to make a sale there would be no problem sending over the Maintenance records or CPO'ing the car which they will not do....

I got my eye on a few others though, the search continues!! Thanks again Ace!
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      10-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #9
M6N
Rep

Quote:

There were 480 out of 1180 2014 model year GCs that had CP, about 40%. So it's in the minority, but I wouldn't call it "rare".

Keep in mind this is just for 2014 models. If you expand the search to 2015s, while I don't have the hard numbers, you can probably assume the same percentage.

I'm probably pulling a trigger on a '15 CP soon. There's significant price compression between 2014 and 2015 cars. The difference in price is around $3k-$4k. 2015s offer lower mileage on average and 1 more year of original warranty.

I am not committed to holding out for CCBs, and you too should be cautious what you wish for. You need to have a look at the CCB wear indicators on the rotors and the pad indicators on the CBS to gauge whether you'll be the one changing it or the next owner. And even if it's the next owner, IMO, it'll be a tough sell.

I know I wouldn't want to buy a CCB car at milages 60k-70k. I would have been passed on a $12k liability. Two months ago, I passed on a local 14 San Marino Blue GC with CCBs and CP. Main reason was that it had 40k miles on it, had paint chips all over, and dealer still wanted $63k.
Thanks for the numbers, its good to know what out there. Getting a car with CCB worries me due to the fact of how expensive it is to replace them is the rotors go bad, ive heard $12k to $16K replacement cost? thats ridiculous! but if I was interested in a car with CCB like the one I mentioned above id certainly make sure the Pre Purchase Inspector inspects the brakes throughly.

That San Marino Blue Color is beautiful, im looking for either a singapore grey or Space Grey Metallic, preferably space gray with CP/Exec Pkg/B&O/Drivers Assistance PKG.

ive been looking at 15's as well but its gotta have the right ext/int color/ low miles/60k price range for me to pull the trigger.

I hope we find what we want soon, this is really exciting for me!! I envision driving the beast everyday its getting more real each day its awesome!!! haha
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #10
M6N
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
My understanding is that once the factory warranty has expired you cannot buy the factory gold or platinum warranty extension. I used Assurant for an Audi and had no issues, Mercury was slow and denied coverage on my claims (said pre-existing).
I will keep Assurant in mind, ive read on these foums Mercury is pretty bad. Great looking out thanks MJ!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

OP- it costs the dealer some money to CPO a car. They may need need to throw $1500 or so at tires, recondition the leather, touch up the paint. That's just cosmetic. Add more if they have to fix things.

The SA at BMW SF likely won't help you bc you don't have a relationship. I would go to a local dealership's SA to pull the records. I cannot say whether the break in service was done based just in carfax.

Yes, CCBs cost $12k in parts alone. So factor that into your ownership cost one way or another. As I said either you or the next guy will pay for it, it'll be a hard sell when time comes, and you will pay for it one way or another as you'll be replacing it or the next buyer will discount the price if he has to. Check the wear indicators on the rotors if you are looking for a CCB car and have dealer take photo of CBS screen. Pads are also very expensive.

Read this:. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1115439

'15s and '14s prices are compressing. They are starting to price based on mileage and not MY as they all roll off warranty.

For me, I may take a CCB car, but only with low mileage. Else, I got my eye set on a '15 White or a Tanzanite Blue one today. I too am going for a low $60k figure, even for a 2015. 2014s can be had in the high $50s now. There's a black CPO '14 CO at BMW of Brooklyn that's at $58k list, and it's still not sold.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #12
M6N
Rep

Quote:
OP- it costs the dealer some money to CPO a car. They may need need to throw $1500 or so at tires, recondition the leather, touch up the paint. That's just cosmetic. Add more if they have to fix things.

The SA at BMW SF likely won't help you bc you don't have a relationship. I would go to a local dealership's SA to pull the records. I cannot say whether the break in service was done based just in carfax.

Yes, CCBs cost $12k in parts alone. So factor that into your ownership cost one way or another. As I said either you or the next guy will pay for it, it'll be a hard sell when time comes, and you will pay for it one way or another as you'll be replacing it or the next buyer will discount the price if he has to. Check the wear indicators on the rotors if you are looking for a CCB car and have dealer take photo of CBS screen. Pads are also very expensive.

Read this:. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1115439

'15s and '14s prices are compressing. They are starting to price based on mileage and not MY as they all roll off warranty.

For me, I may take a CCB car, but only with low mileage. Else, I got my eye set on a '15 White or a Tanzanite Blue one today. I too am going for a low $60k figure, even for a 2015. 2014s can be had in the high $50s now. There's a black CPO '14 CO at BMW of Brooklyn that's at $58k list, and it's still not sold.
Yea with that said, CCBs are not a must. I've read its a good idea to change out the CCB brake pads at 50% wear just to be safe. You got me looking now for 14/15's with the Competition Package in them. I believe the 14's CP have 575hp and the 15's upped to 600hp?

I know our cars are out there at great deals we just have to keep an eye out.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 11:42 PM   #13
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

No, '16 had 600 HP with CP. '16s are easily in the $80k range.

You really have to see if you value the CP. The HP bump is not usable in most cases. It only happens at the upper most part of the rev range. There is no torque bump.

The CP does get revise exhaust (but not the akrapovic MPE), which everyone loves, but I cannot tell the difference in videos.

The main reason I want CP is for the revised suspension and steering, which is near impossible to retrofit. Also, CP was the only way to option style 601 wheels, though not everyone selected it. Many if not most people selected 343s, and few retained the 433s.

So, while I want a CP, if a near perfect non-CP comes up with a great price, it'll be hard to pass it up.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-11-2017 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #14
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC BSM/SO

I just picked up a 14 non-CP but in my preferred Black Sapphire with Sakhir Orange interior.... B&O and Exec Package... 33K miles for low $50K range. It had the manufacturer buy back for what appears to be a minor issue... I drove it back to Florida from the Midwest and it was AWESOME...... It just had new brake pads and rotors under warranty......and is flawless interior and exterior..... I LOVE this car and am seriously considering selling my Viper and just driving the M6 all the time!!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #15
M6N
Rep

Quote:
No, '16 had 600 HP with CP. '16s are easily in the $80k range.

You really have to see if you value the CP. The HP bump is not usable in most cases. It only happens at the upper most part of the rev range. There is no torque bump.

The CP does get revise exhaust (but not the akrapovic MPE), which everyone loves, but I cannot tell the difference in videos.

The main reason I want CP is for the revised suspension and steering, which is near impossible to retrofit. Also, CP was the only way to option style 601 wheels, though not everyone selected it. Many if not most people selected 343s, and few retained the 433s.

So, while I want a CP, if a near perfect non-CP comes up with a great price, it'll be hard to pass it up.
Yea im looking for one with CP for sure now even if its only 575hp. Im sure a tune can easily bump it up to 600hp later on. The 601 style wheels I like, I also am liking the 433s reminds me a transformer robot for some reason lol. Ace thanks for all your help man!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #16
M6N
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcoll View Post
I just picked up a 14 non-CP but in my preferred Black Sapphire with Sakhir Orange interior.... B&O and Exec Package... 33K miles for low $50K range. It had the manufacturer buy back for what appears to be a minor issue... I drove it back to Florida from the Midwest and it was AWESOME...... It just had new brake pads and rotors under warranty......and is flawless interior and exterior..... I LOVE this car and am seriously considering selling my Viper and just driving the M6 all the time!!
Thats a extremely great deal! Did you take a gamble on the Manufacturer buy back issue or did you get a Pre Purchase Inspection to help make the purchase? Im for sure open to buying out of state and planning to Drive Back as well! must be ridiculously fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you get temporary plates from the dealer allowing you to drive back legally? did the plates allow you to cross multiple states legally? or did you get an "in transit" permit from each state you crossed?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 09:49 PM   #17
M6N
Rep

Quote:
Forgot to ask was it a M6 2 door coupe or the 4 door M6 Gran Coupe?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #18
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:

I wasn't saying that CP is rare. I was saying a vehicle having CCB and not having CP seems odd and rare. Can you pull up stats of 2014 GC's with CCB's w/o CP? So there's 89 CP/CCB combo. How many just CCB? Honestly interested. Seems redundant to have CCB and not CP to me
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #19
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Forgot to ask was it a M6 2 door coupe or the 4 door M6 Gran Coupe?
It is a GC......fully inspected, it was regularly serviced at a local BMW dealership and they were good to talk about the overall vehicle.... temp tag provided and no worries about driving cross country. I even have pictures on the Tail of the Dragon!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #20
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sold: '13 RS5

Quote:
Thats a extremely great deal! Did you take a gamble on the Manufacturer buy back issue or did you get a Pre Purchase Inspection to help make the purchase? Im for sure open to buying out of state and planning to Drive Back as well! must be ridiculously fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you get temporary plates from the dealer allowing you to drive back legally? did the plates allow you to cross multiple states legally? or did you get an "in transit" permit from each state you crossed?
I wouldn't call a buy back at low 50s a good deal..there are clean title CPO cars for mid 50k with slightly higher miles (~40,000). Seems like a no brainer to select the CPO at ~$5k more plus the clean title
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #21
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep

I don't know where these CPO cars are for mid $50K, I was looking for 6 months and never saw them.......
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #22
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I don't know where these CPO cars are for mid $50K, I was looking for 6 months and never saw them.......
mid-$50k doesn't exist. But it depends on your definition of "mid". The cheapest CPO today is listed at $58k, I'm pretty sure it can be had at $57k with haggling and arm twisting. 4-6 is considered "mid" to me.