BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
stl2chi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F12 640xi

Ceramic Pro 9H?

ok... took the plunge and bought a 2015 F12.. Sapphire Black

It appears the previous owner did not have the vehicle waxed ever.... thus I want to get the paint protected asap.

Is anyone familiar with Ceramic Pro 9H or any other similar ceramic type paint protectants ?

Is it worth the price?

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Looks great. Not many places around (the UK) that do it though, so limited feedback potential from this market.

I'm looking at Gtechnic ceramic coating, over a machine correction polish. Promises a 7yr warranty. (not sure against what exactly, scuffs, scratches etc. are what I want to avoid) Not going to be cheap though.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

I have been meaning to reply to this for a number of days.

In relation to coatings as a whole it really does depend on what you are aiming for. To think however that they are apply and leave it would be totally incorrect they still amass contamination that normal washing would not remove like any other product*.

If it is durability alone then a 9H coating makes sense (along with some possibly less obvious suggestions such as Max Protect UNC-R). Durability and protection of these will outlast many other products easily, downside is 9H and many products that fall within this category like UNC-R do not really give a good effect when sheeting and beading, in fact many would label it poor. It is one of the reasons many of them get another coating product like a hybrid one on top to provide that.

If your aim is for more sheeting and beading then go down the hybrid route, whatever the base you choose 9H product, Gtechniq Crystal Serum or Crystal Serum Light.

If you do not wish to have two products then stick with a normal coating which is compromise between both*2.

*When I mean contamination it is more tar and other fallout being left on the vehicle, in some cases some coatings more so hybrid ones, will not like being exposed to extreme ends of the pH scale and therefore need treating with care to remove contamination. An example would be exposing Gtechniq Exo V2 to a significant alkali source such as APC, snow foams and other products, which can (whilst better than V1 of Exo) still significantly undermine the obvious beading and sheeting features (the vehicle will still be protected per se, but not in an obvious manner).

*2 Most of the coatings still require a topping product like Carpro Reload to really bring out the best (as the reload will be doing the beading and sheeting and not the coating product) which is why many sell it with that included beyond just the initial protection. These will need topping up every few months to maintain that level.

Basing it on my experience I was going to coat the MX5 this year or BMW, I have selected Carpro Cquartz UK edition, but after some thought decided not to go ahead for the time being through previous experience with a number of coatings that really dulled my energy and happiness from detailing and made it a chore. I have not applied a coating in the past few years due to this irritation, which for some would not be, but for me personally it is far from rewarding. Added to this is the requirement depending on specifics of removing contamination, in that feature old fashioned wax or sealants are far easier as it is easier to go back to the base bare paint. It is why now the MX5 is still sporting Zymol Vintage (fully corrected) and the BMW Swissvax Mirage (using a bit of filling from Prima Amigo prior to Swissvax Mirage application).

My final addition is do not think for one moment that these coatings will stop marring or other defect introduction, because that is far from the case they will marr and can have defects just not the paint underneath (unless the coating fails). Water spotting is another ongoing issue with many coatings (however it is sometimes harder to remove than on a standard wax or sealant finish).

Last edited by NINJA59; 07-01-2016 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6coupe View Post
Looks great. Not many places around (the UK) that do it though, so limited feedback potential from this market.

I'm looking at Gtechnic ceramic coating, over a machine correction polish. Promises a 7yr warranty. (not sure against what exactly, scuffs, scratches etc. are what I want to avoid) Not going to be cheap though.
If you are saying 7 years to me that means the Crystal Serum treatment topped with Exo V2. I would probably be honest in saying that after a few years and a few decontamination steps you would be needing at minimum a clean down of the Exo V2 to the CS level to regain the beading or sheeting or begin using another product on top of the CS.

The CS would last easily (as the full fat version of CS as opposed to the light) can only be removed by wetsanding. CS light can be removed by a good machine polish.
Appreciate 0