BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RX8, Alfa Romeo GTV, 640d GC

Tyre Question

Hi guys, so car was in to get pads replaced.

The video shows 2 bulges on my tyre on the FR.

I was told it now illegal ? Doesn't seem to drive any different than any other car I have.

My question is, if I were replacing the tyre, I want to replace it with an air tyre due to the discomfort and poor performance of the runflats. I was quoted £315 + VAT for the original Dunlops.

If I were replacing with air tyres, is there a suitable like for like air tyre from Dunlop ? Are the "bulging of these run flats a common problem? I have never had these problems on my other cars which have air tyres.

Finally, I am getting pads done today. What is the thickness of the new pads? I was told the front was 2mm thick which was getting replaced, the rear was 3mm thick. iDrive told me it was about 1500 miles before it needs replacing anyway but the Service Adviser told me that he would strongly advice me to replace the rear pads too and both front and rear replacement works out to be £467 I think. Is this about right ?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 12:54 AM   #2
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Unsafe (MOT failure point) and need replacing as the sidewall belts have failed and push air into the void. Hit anything hard enough you will get a blowout. Simply not worth the risk.

Overpriced for the replacement RFT Dunlop, online you can get them for £75 less than that quote. My BMW dealer gave me a quote of £250 (including VAT & fitting) when mine had problems, bargaining I got 5% of that as well. For multiple reasons though eventually this was replaced free of charge.

It is a common issue because of the stiffer sidewalls, but the very low profile does not help either.

If you are are going for normal tyres then go for Michelin Pilot Super Sport, but make sure you get the correct version. If you do go down this route check with your insurer for mods as some do not like you doing it and will charge for the change.

You could always try the Pirelli Pzero RFT if you did not want dunlop, but still RFT it is a little cheaper, there is now a bmw star marked version as well (which has better ratings than the standard one).

Over the pads that is less than the online bmw quote which comes out at £510 for both ends.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
Unsafe (MOT failure point) and need replacing as the sidewall belts have failed and push air into the void. Hit anything hard enough you will get a blowout. Simply not worth the risk.

Overpriced for the replacement RFT Dunlop, online you can get them for £75 less than that quote. My BMW dealer gave me a quote of £250 (including VAT & fitting) when mine had problems, bargaining I got 5% of that as well. For multiple reasons though eventually this was replaced free of charge.
Thanks for the reply Ninja. So I am looking to gradually replace my RFT with the MPSS air tyre. Would it be safe enough to replace both the knackered tyres i.e. will be running 1 air and 1 RFT on each axle? If not, perhaps I should just stick to the RFT as the other 2 tyres have pretty decent thread on them. Shame these 2 tyres are needing replaced too as they are pretty new. I am looking to get my tyres from tyreleader. Are they OK ?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCobra1 View Post
Thanks for the reply Ninja. So I am looking to gradually replace my RFT with the MPSS air tyre. Would it be safe enough to replace both the knackered tyres i.e. will be running 1 air and 1 RFT on each axle? If not, perhaps I should just stick to the RFT as the other 2 tyres have pretty decent thread on them. Shame these 2 tyres are needing replaced too as they are pretty new. I am looking to get my tyres from tyreleader. Are they OK ?
Definitely don't do that

The handling will be a joke

Either change all for non run flats or stick with run flats mate

Don't mix and match them, I tried it once years ago and the car was dangerous at high speeds
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123 View Post
Don't mix and match them, I tried it once years ago and the car was dangerous at high speeds
LOL, no doubt, one of my friends did that but he lives life on the edge

Damn, I am really in 2 minds, either keep it as the Sportmax for RF and or change all 4 corners and waste these other 2 pretty decent tyres. Do you think if I went to get Kwikfit to change those tyres they will trade my part worn tyres in ? I think they still have about 5mm thread on them
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:47 AM   #6
BMWLad
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F06 640d

No doubt any tyre place will do it. I'm in the process of getting rid of the rft's cost for a full set of conti' contact 6's (supposedly the equivalent of mpss) work out better value as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 03:42 AM   #7
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I personally do not think many will as they will then have to sell them on to a part worn centre and comply with the necessary legal requirements of part worn tyres.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #8
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Kwick fit won't buy used tyres lol

Maybe back street tyre places
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #9
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

One tip don't go to Kwik fit.
Any bulges need replacing as it's dangerous.
I'd say get a set of Michelin super sports as the handling ride etc will be better.
I had to replace one of my rf tyres the other day because of a pot hole which caused a bulge and I got a Bridgestone fitted for £265 which wasn't a bad price I guess.
      06-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #10
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanbmw View Post
I got a Bridgestone fitted for £265 which wasn't a bad price I guess.
Thanks for the replies guys. So are you running Bridgestone all 4 corners or are you mixing and matching?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

I'm thinking of getting the Pirelli P Zero - seems a bit cheaper. Any particular reason why you guys choose the MPSS over any other tyre? I assume that as long as I am using the tyres of the exact dimensions as the originals that it shouldn't invalidate the AUC warranty right? I spoke to the service adviser the other day and he said it is fine but he didn't make it clear if I can only use the "BMW approved and tested" tyres. He side something about a star - any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:54 AM   #12
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Make sure you get the Pzero with the star for the better rated on the EU cycle tyre not the standard one it will be harder to find as it has not long being approved by BMW (tyre leader sell both versions of the Pzero). As per below there is a fairly significant difference on what on the surface is the "same" tyre.

Over the MPSS most rate it for non rft purposes because it is one of the best tyres.

As far as I was aware you did not have an AUC but an extended warranty? It should not cause any problems either way, but if you are choosing the Pzero I think you would be a fool not to choose the star approved variant.

All the star means it is is BMW approved.

Not Approved Pzero (EU rating is only E,B,B)
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...r20-95y-336400

Approved Pzero (EU rating is C,A,A)
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...r20-95y-458241

Same thing is true in 275/30 R20 97Y as well, although tyre leader currently appear not to have any in stock.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2016, 04:36 AM   #13
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Make sure you get the Pzero with the star for the better rated on the EU cycle tyre not the standard one it will be harder to find as it has not long being approved by BMW (tyre leader sell both versions of the Pzero). As per below there is a fairly significant difference on what on the surface is the "same" tyre.

Over the MPSS most rate it for non rft purposes because it is one of the best tyres.

As far as I was aware you did not have an AUC but an extended warranty? It should not cause any problems either way, but if you are choosing the Pzero I think you would be a fool not to choose the star approved variant.

All the star means it is is BMW approved.

Not Approved Pzero (EU rating is only E,B,B)
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...r20-95y-336400

Approved Pzero (EU rating is C,A,A)
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...r20-95y-458241

Same thing is true in 275/30 R20 97Y as well, although tyre leader currently appear not to have any in stock.
Hi Ninja, thanks for the reply. I am not sure, probably it is an extended warranty but the previous owner had an AUC warranty and when I phoned up Modial, they offered me a discounted warranty as it is a continuation of the AUC warranty.

Anyway, I just had a look at:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...0/?m%5B5%5D=on

There seems to be such a wide variation in price from £160 - £250.

Does the tyre need to have a star on it? Can't I get for example:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...r20-95y-395165

The tyre you recommended me are both runflats which I would prefer to stay away from.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 04:56 AM   #14
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

An AUC warranty is an approved used car warranty not an extended warranty. You would never phone Mondial otherwise.

You can buy non-RFT or RFT up to you, that will fit, but in your last post you had not decided which way to go. You are unlikely to find BMW star marked in the required non-RFT, it is not necessary in most cases though.

You will need to remove the other two RFT's mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #15
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
An AUC warranty is an approved used car warranty not an extended warranty. You would never phone Mondial otherwise.

You can buy non-RFT or RFT up to you, that will fit, but in your last post you had not decided which way to go. You are unlikely to find BMW star marked in the required non-RFT, it is not necessary in most cases though.

You will need to remove the other two RFT's mind.
Yeah, must be an extended warranty. I recon I will probably just remove all 4 tyres and go with the cheaper P Zeros. What are the advantages of having the star rated cf. non star rated tyres? I mean surely the tyres don't really drive differently ?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 07:31 AM   #16
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Some say there is nothing more than a fancy star and a price rise, but clearly Pirelli alter the specification of the tyre to produce a major difference in the final tyre if judged by my link.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #17
BMWLad
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F06 640d

OE's will tune the tyre to the car. This could simply be tweaking the rubber compound, or the aspects of the tyre without changing the original tread pattern.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #18
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanbmw View Post
I got a Bridgestone fitted for £265 which wasn't a bad price I guess.
Thanks for the replies guys. So are you running Bridgestone all 4 corners or are you mixing and matching?
I've got Dunlops on the front and Bridgestones on the back
      06-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #19
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

you are the most indecisive person I've ever met on a forum ace haha

I swapped mine to contis today on the way home from work since they were getting close to 2 on the back and 3 on the front....... national tyres, haggled a bit but they are always a decent price

Just pop in somewhere and get what you need mate, it's just tyres
Appreciate 7
      06-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #20
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all the replies guys.

"Mr.Indecisive" has gone with the OEM Dunlops for now! lol

My plan is to get winter tyres in maybe about 4 - 5 months time then see if the difference in ride comfort can justify me binning 4 rather healthy tyres!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #21
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCobra1 View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.

"Mr.Indecisive" has gone with the OEM Dunlops for now! lol

My plan is to get winter tyres in maybe about 4 - 5 months time then see if the difference in ride comfort can justify me binning 4 rather healthy tyres!
Haha nice one pal, to be honest that's what I would have done
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #22
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Needing a new rear left on mine today but getting it at cost (including fitting) to bmw main dealer (long story) but the current one has a 1cm cut in between tread blocks. Sadly you can see cords (about a few mm) when you open it up slighlty and shine a light on it.

Edit:

Last edited by NINJA59; 06-24-2016 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 0