BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Ok I'm in

Dealer made me a deal I could not refuse. Really wanted a 2015 - but when I add in the must have options (that I don't have on my 2014) of Tanzanite Blue, Piano Black Trim, Adaptive Drive, ACC stop and go cruise, and active front seats (never ever used them in my X6, but my legs are giving me a hard time of late and this damn option now is amazing), I realized that I was looking at almost $300 more per month for the 2015 (the lower residual of the 2015 did not help either).

There are plenty of wow, that kind of sucks, with this car:
Drivetrain lag upon take off (does not exist in sport mode, but dash looks silly in this mode)
Video game dash (I much prefer the 2013 version but hate the chrome around the windows in the 2013).
No passenger side grab handle (same as my X6 - seriously BMW?)
Three (3) turns to lock on the steering vs. two (2) on my X6 (to be fair, my X6 had Active steering).
Over 16 feet long - wow, two people in the last 4 hours have said "that is one long car"
Soft Close doors - was so excited for this option and yet it is worthless (albeit free) with the frame-less windows that inch down when opening/closing.
The brakes seem to not be quite there - I hope they are just settling in and will get better. Had to do one somewhat hard stop and was surprised at the lack of deceleration.
No fold-down seats was a bit of a let down (although not unexpected)
HATE the fact that BMW moved the audio controls to the right side of the steering wheel. Will never understand this decision either.
Also miss the next track up/down on the steering wheel. I realize you can do this with the new roller switch but it is more work and less intuitive.
If you are going to do a roller switch on the steering wheel, make it for the volume- that makes so much more sense.
The 20" wheels provide what I call, a jarring ride. I was planning on ditching the run-flats at the end of summer - now I will be lucky to make it to the end of April.

However...
Imola Red is a stunning color. My 2nd choice after the special order Tanzanite.
The interior is better than anything I have been in recently and just crushes Audi.
The steering is perfectly weighted and I suspect I will get used to the non-active part. It feels perfect.
The car is FAST, REALLY FAST - once it gets going.
The exhaust sounds great. I was worried this would be weak from what I hear about the M5 having sound piped in. The X6 still crushes it, but I'm glad there is enough sound to know you have a V8.
The B&O stereo is amazing! Was not blown away by this stereo in my test drives and/or in my friends 550xi. But wow, it is amazing.
The 20" wheels may ride like crap, but they do look sweet.

Honestly, I have not driven a car I liked more (fortunately I did not drive the 2013 M5 in stick a dealer had). So I'm still happy with my decision. But deep down, I wish someone made a car I really loved. That might be the 435xi GC - but that car is 6 months away. So for now, I'm in the club
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #2
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Congratulations! Good call!
Enjoy your ride!

Current: 2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE + 2018 AMG GT-C Coupe + 2013 6 Series BMW GranCoupe (October)
Retired: 2016 AMG-GTS Coupe, 2013 & 2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale,2016 3-Series Touring, 2009 5 Series GT, 2007 BMW M5, 2012 & 2006 BMW 1 Series
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Congrats..im about to put order on new 6 GC..do you have pics of Tanzanite blue?

Sample or anything?

How Tanzanite blue is similar to San marino blue?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

The color is simply amazing. Congrats on gour new car Man. It's awesome, while I am still thinking about trading in my 650gc for a 14 m5. Lol...
I just can't get pass on the m power and the lovely seats in the m5.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Congrats..im about to put order on new 6 GC..do you have pics of Tanzanite blue?

Sample or anything?

How Tanzanite blue is similar to San marino blue?
Only what I have seen on the Internet. I do know that is has a LOT more metallic flake to it than Deep Sea Blue (which it is probably closer to than San Marino). It also will add 4 weeks to the order time of the car.

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723828

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519 View Post
The color is simply amazing. Congrats on gour new car Man. It's awesome, while I am still thinking about trading in my 650gc for a 14 m5. Lol...
I just can't get pass on the m power and the lovely seats in the m5.
I came close - but I am in love with AWD after having it in my X6. Just can't imagine not having it. Even with my 1M on a dry day I miss it sometimes!. I am also surprised about the GC's seats vs. the M5 - the GC's seats do seem a little "hard" on the bottom - can't explain so I think the M5's are probably better (did not compare them). I like the look of the GCs better however as well as the interior (below is the 2013 M5 I was looking at).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Only what I have seen on the Internet. I do know that is has a LOT more metallic flake to it than Deep Sea Blue (which it is probably closer to than San Marino). It also will add 4 weeks to the order time of the car.

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723828

I came close - but I am in love with AWD after having it in my X6. Just can't imagine not having it. Even with my 1M on a dry day I miss it sometimes!. I am also surprised about the GC's seats vs. the M5 - the GC's seats do seem a little "hard" on the bottom - can't explain so I think the M5's are probably better (did not compare them). I like the look of the GCs better however as well as the interior (below is the 2013 M5 I was looking at).
For the interior, the GC just has the better style than M5, for the material quality side, M5 is better than our 650GC.
The seats of GC is definitely hard ones, it's harder than my old X6 too. I had a chance sit in a 14 m5 with full merino leather option several days ago, I was amazed how much comfortable and supportive those seats are. The seats in the m5 remind me it's a M once I sit in there.
Congrats on your new purchase again, it seems we came from same route (From x6 to 650gc).
This time I would be no rush on my purchase, I gonna test drive all the models I am looking at and then I will make my decision.
Your red exterior looks really sexy on the 650GC BTW.
2017 M3 Comp PKG 2017 MINI JCW
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
For the interior, the GC just has the better style than M5, for the material quality side, M5 is better than our 650GC.
The seats of GC is definitely hard ones, it's harder than my old X6 too. I had a chance sit in a 14 m5 with full merino leather option several days ago, I was amazed how much comfortable and supportive those seats are. The seats in the m5 remind me it's a M once I sit in there.
Congrats on your new purchase again, it seems we came from same route (From x6 to 650gc).
This time I would be no rush on my purchase, I gonna test drive all the models I am looking at and then I will make my decision.
Your red exterior looks really sexy on the 650GC BTW.
Yea, I seem to be following your footsteps

Thanks for the compliments on the Imola. I'm not used to being the guy with the flashy car so this might take some time to get used to (had two people stop walking right in front of my car yesterday and just stare - then they gave me a double thumbs up and started to walk away slowly) - was strange!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the compliments on the Imola. I'm not used to being the guy with the flashy car so this might take some time to get used to (had two people stop walking right in front of my car yesterday and just stare - then they gave me a double thumbs up and started to walk away slowly) - was strange!
6GC is just such a sexy car.
I already got 10+ strangers' comments on my gc. All of them just say it's simply beautiful.
Ahh, I remember in the past February, I was going to grab some breakfast sandwich in my local Starbucks that morning, one e92 335is driver all the way followed me to the parking area and said:"It's really beautiful. Do you mind I take some pictures of your car?" He made my day.
Enjoy your ride Man. BTW, 650GC can't bring you some chicks, but it can bring tons of MILF to you.
2017 M3 Comp PKG 2017 MINI JCW
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
raym3cs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino M3CS

looks good in red
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^+1

love it!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519
Quote:

I already got 10+ strangers' comments on my gc. All of them just say it's simply beautiful.
Ahh, I remember in the past February, I was going to grab some breakfast sandwich in my local Starbucks that morning, one e92 335is driver all the way followed me to the parking area and said:"It's really beautiful. Do you mind I take some pictures of your car?" He made my day.
Enjoy your ride Man. BTW, 650GC can't bring you some chicks, but it can bring tons of MILF to you.
wzj519 -

I'm experiencing the same thing in NYC but 2 1/2* more. Just in the last couple of months i been stopped on traffic light by side-by-side strange women drivers. TWO TIMES this happened just to say my car was beautiful and elegant.

In one of these instances after the compliment remarks, one woman asked me for my cell phone #. I was so nervous that the only thing that came out of my mouth was "I'm a married men" and raised my hand pointing to the ring. My friend all laugh about this when i tell them.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Dealer made me a deal I could not refuse. Really wanted a 2015 - but when I add in the must have options (that I don't have on my 2014) of Tanzanite Blue, Piano Black Trim, Adaptive Drive, ACC stop and go cruise, and active front seats (never ever used them in my X6, but my legs are giving me a hard time of late and this damn option now is amazing), I realized that I was looking at almost $300 more per month for the 2015 (the lower residual of the 2015 did not help either).

There are plenty of wow, that kind of sucks, with this car:
Drivetrain lag upon take off (does not exist in sport mode, but dash looks silly in this mode)
Video game dash (I much prefer the 2013 version but hate the chrome around the windows in the 2013).
No passenger side grab handle (same as my X6 - seriously BMW?)
Three (3) turns to lock on the steering vs. two (2) on my X6 (to be fair, my X6 had Active steering).
Over 16 feet long - wow, two people in the last 4 hours have said "that is one long car"
Soft Close doors - was so excited for this option and yet it is worthless (albeit free) with the frame-less windows that inch down when opening/closing.
The brakes seem to not be quite there - I hope they are just settling in and will get better. Had to do one somewhat hard stop and was surprised at the lack of deceleration.
HATE the fact that BMW moved the audio controls to the right side of the steering wheel. Will never understand this decision either.
Also miss the next track up/down on the steering wheel. I realize you can do this with the new roller switch but it is more work and less intuitive.
If you are going to do a roller switch on the steering wheel, make it for the volume- that makes so much more sense.
The 20" wheels provide what I call, a jarring ride. I was planning on ditching the run-flats at the end of summer - now I will be lucky to make it to the end of April.

However...
Imola Red is a stunning color. My 2nd choice after the special order Tanzanite.
The interior is better than anything I have been in recently and just crushes Audi.
The steering is perfectly weighted and I suspect I will get used to the non-active part. It feels perfect.
The car is FAST, REALLY FAST - once it gets going.
The exhaust sounds great. I was worried this would be weak from what I hear about the M5 having sound piped in. The X6 still crushes it, but I'm glad there is enough sound to know you have a V8.
The B&O stereo is amazing! Was not blown away by this stereo in my test drives and/or in my friends 550xi. But wow, it is amazing.
The 20" wheels may ride like crap, but they do look sweet.

Honestly, I have not driven a car I liked more (fortunately I did not drive the 2013 M5 in stick a dealer had). So I'm still happy with my decision. But deep down, I wish someone made a car I really loved. That might be the 435xi GC - but that car is 6 months away. So for now, I'm in the club
Welcome aboard, Doug!! The new toy is going to bring you many smiles in the near future. Enjoy that thing in good health. It definitely looks stunning in red.

One thing you said that I have agreed with since I had my GC that seemed like a step backwards coming out of the X6, was the audio controls on the steering wheel. You are absolutely right that the roller wheel should have been designated as the volume control and the up/down arrows used for track selection.

Either way, you will find that the new car will be a blast to drive... once you take her out of the Chi-Town metro area at least... lol
      04-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It turns out the car does have fold-down rear seats! Saw it in the brochure on-line then read this weird thing called a "manual" and shazam, they fold down.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hey, at least you are getting attention from the MILFs... unfortunately, I only get attention from guys in Audi's and Lexus that constantly want to challenge me on the Parkways...
      04-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day
Quote:
Hey, at least you are getting attention from the MILFs... unfortunately, I only get attention from guys in Audi's and Lexus that constantly want to challenge me on the Parkways...
Samurai -

I'm getting attention from guys too but bad attention i guess. You haven't been to my "NYC Crooks!" forum thread. Guys are stealing my car exterior mods. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #16
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARam View Post
Samurai -

I'm getting attention from guys too but bad attention i guess. You haven't been to my "NYC Crooks!" forum thread. Guys are stealing my car exterior mods. Lol!
hey ARam,

I did visit your thread titled "NYC Crooks", and even left a post or two on there. I used to work in the city, but now I am working on LI. It still pains me to see the pictures of your car violated by some punk off the street, but I am all too familiar with the nature of the night life within the 5 boroughs.

I just hope that you found a better place to park without shelling out too much cash that could otherwise be used to enhance your already great looking GC. (Love the M6 Wheels). Park a few blocks away and enjoy the stroll and take in the eye candy floating around the city now that the weather is finally changing for the better!
      04-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #17
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARam View Post
Samurai -

hey ARam,

I did visit your thread titled "NYC Crooks", and even left a post or two on there. I used to work in the city, but now I am working on LI. It still pains me to see the pictures of your car violated by some punk off the street, but I am all too familiar with the nature of the night life within the 5 boroughs.

I just hope that you found a better place to park without shelling out too much cash that could otherwise be used to enhance your already great looking GC. (Love the M6 Wheels). Park a few blocks away and enjoy the stroll and take in the eye candy floating around the city now that the weather is finally changing for the better!
Thanks. Your advice has prove effective.
Appreciate 0