BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-01-2024, 08:40 PM   #1
Heron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Anyone know about the "Camshaft Inpulse Wheels"?

So i have this new to me 2005 645ci project. Was in a crash on the drivers side.

I had done an oil change and noticed oil leaking from under the driver valve cover and suspected the gasket went.

Today, i took the valve cover off, and to my surprise these two were sitting neatly at the back of the head. I looked up the part number on the back of the "wheel" (7 504 187) and at the time found very little info on them.

I tried reinstalling but the my incorrect allen bits and the macked threads didnt like the idea. I also didnt like the idea of this coming off again and doing real damage to the valvetrain. I assumed that this was something for the camshaft sensor. I ended up reinstalling the valve cover with a new gasket and figured id just delete this wheel and its bolt for the time being.

The car ran fine or about the same as it has been. There were codes relating to camshaft position since i got the car so id assume this is why.

Has anyone ever dealt with these, think i can get away with keeping it off or should i replace it. The car seems okay running and driving without this wheel but am curious as i dont want the motor to be absolutely screwed over time. Im okay with the cam codes if thats the most thatll come of this.

Theres very limited information on them and the most i could find is they have something to do with the camshaft position sensor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0