BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Hesitation from standstill/slowing & shudder when crusing

It is going in on Monday for a diag and further test drive etc.

However recently, coming to a stop my poor 640d has had poor change downs and when moving off occasionally the revs rise, then jolt and we are off.

Also when cruising (50/60 and a little over 70 ) I have had three instances when there is a shudder lasting around a second or two, in these periods there is a loss of thrust from the engine (re-enforced by the fact my dashcam shows the car loosing about 3-5 mph).

Looking around at people with F10/F11's there is a number of people reporting issues surrounding EGR problems (and on my first test drive with a tech the EGR wasmentioned as a common problem on the N57's-lack of lubrication on the EGR valve).

In regards to more general running there is no warning lights (no EML), drivetrain faults that have appeared on the idrive. The idling is stable, however I would say it sounds *slightly* more noisey and harsher than I previously remember (however at this time of year additives also change in diesel so it could be that as well (however this has occurred over multiple tanks)). Finally, my MPG is a tiny amount under what I would expect when this occurs 34/35 MPG on the same trip, compared with 38/39. Overall MPG is down a little as well (considering the 6 is back on Summer tyres as well now)

Has anyone else experienced this? Equally, through power of deduction the EGR and circumstances would lead me to believe the EGR is a good possibility, would it sound plausible? (further evidence that those with F10 535d's there has been one poster on the bmw 5 uk forum mentioning he had two 535's (e60 and f11) requiring EGR changes (and £3k in warranty work because BMW could not track the initial fault until it was the EGR).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 03:15 AM   #2
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
It is going in on Monday for a diag and further test drive etc.

However recently, coming to a stop my poor 640d has had poor change downs and when moving off occasionally the revs rise, then jolt and we are off.

Also when cruising (50/60 and a little over 70 ) I have had three instances when there is a shudder lasting around a second or two, in these periods there is a loss of thrust from the engine (re-enforced by the fact my dashcam shows the car loosing about 3-5 mph).

Looking around at people with F10/F11's there is a number of people reporting issues surrounding EGR problems (and on my first test drive with a tech the EGR wasmentioned as a common problem on the N57's-lack of lubrication on the EGR valve).

In regards to more general running there is no warning lights (no EML), drivetrain faults that have appeared on the idrive. The idling is stable, however I would say it sounds *slightly* more noisey and harsher than I previously remember (however at this time of year additives also change in diesel so it could be that as well (however this has occurred over multiple tanks)). Finally, my MPG is a tiny amount under what I would expect when this occurs 34/35 MPG on the same trip, compared with 38/39. Overall MPG is down a little as well (considering the 6 is back on Summer tyres as well now)

Has anyone else experienced this? Equally, through power of deduction the EGR and circumstances would lead me to believe the EGR is a good possibility, would it sound plausible? (further evidence that those with F10 535d's there has been one poster on the bmw 5 uk forum mentioning he had two 535's (e60 and f11) requiring EGR changes (and £3k in warranty work because BMW could not track the initial fault until it was the EGR).
When I had my 640d I noticed when the cruise control was on on motorways every so often I would feel the car slow down by 2/3 mph then pick up again. Cars gone now so unfortunately I can't tell you what it was.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 03:55 AM   #3
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My dealer is still investigating like I suspected no fault codes logged.

They have it for another few days whilst they try and get it to do it. Interestingly there is a number of issues currently surrounding EGR valves.

To back it up everything about it being the EGR getting stuck for a few seconds seems possible considering my dealer admitted to me the N57 has had a number of EGR valve problems. Not related to carbon build up but lack of lubrication for the cam.

During that time I get the "pleasure" of driving a BMW 318d M Sport manual...can get it any worse!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 05:08 AM   #4
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Have they reset the gearbox adaptations?

I would try doing this for the purposes of ruling it out.

They should be able to do it or if you are in or around London you can PM me
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 03:22 AM   #5
elmajiko
Rep
Drives: 640d

I have similar issues with my car... How all this ended, was an egr valve or a carbon build up issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 04:01 AM   #6
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mine ended up with...nothing being done

The gearbox eventually stopped being so pig eared in those situations - about 8 weeks after the wheel swap again. The car remembers the previous 8 weeks, and clearly the adaptations when swapping from 20" inch summer to 17" inch Winters are going to be different, so eventually it was back to normal and fine. Ahh the joys of modern motoring.
Appreciate 0