BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #177
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
I'd just keep doing what you're doing at a minimal until they let you go and collect unemployment until you find something better. The place sounds like a real shit hole to be honest. Too much drama over what seems very petty.
Sounds like every job in Florida.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #178
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Apparently I (and a few others) have been transferred over to a new manager, who I've heard nothing but good things about. My current manager is being moved to a different department all together - and according to my email from HR, they "settled" the investigation with her over unfair treatment. No idea what that means, nor do I have any details.

Oh and she fired another girl I work with Wednesday, she was with the company for 4 years.

So, my job is keeping me (at least for a little while) but I don't think I'm keeping my job. The search is on.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #179
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Apparently I (and a few others) have been transferred over to a new manager, who I've heard nothing but good things about. My current manager is being moved to a different department all together - and according to my email from HR, they "settled" the investigation with her over unfair treatment. No idea what that means, nor do I have any details.

Oh and she fired another girl I work with Wednesday, she was with the company for 4 years.

So, my job is keeping me (at least for a little while) but I don't think I'm keeping my job. The search is on.
Glad to hear! At least now it's on your schedule.
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #180
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Bimmette fun fact #2157: My name is a rat backwards.

I don't know how that unemployment stuff works in the US, but if I knew I was being fired, I would quit first.
From someone who would volunteer to be laid off and has been laidoff many times... this is what it means in the tech industry in the usa:
1) You lost your job due to no fault of your own, the company had to downsize.
2) As part of the WARN Act, you will get 2 months on pay roll (sometimes 3 months) AND then get another 2 months lump sum. Plus all your unused vacation time, if you negotiated wisely then u will get bonuses and other perks
3) if your higher than a grunt level worker... you will probably get 6 months on payroll
4) we all pay into unemployment insurance with each paycheck, so that should we lose our jobs... the insurance kicks in and we get paid weekly till we find a new job.
5) New job will usually give you a sign on bonus if you negotiate well
6) Rinse and repeat (at least for me)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #181
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman
Quote:
Bimmette fun fact #2157: My name is a rat backwards.

I don't know how that unemployment stuff works in the US, but if I knew I was being fired, I would quit first.
From someone who would volunteer to be laid off and has been laidoff many times... this is what it means in the tech industry in the usa:
2) As part of the WARN Act, you will get 2 months on pay roll (sometimes 3 months) AND then get another 2 months lump sum. Plus all your unused vacation time, if you negotiated wisely then u will get bonuses and other perks
3) if your higher than a grunt level worker... you will probably get 6 months on payroll
4) we all pay into unemployment insurance with each paycheck, so that should we lose our jobs... the insurance kicks in and we get paid weekly till we find a new job.
But what if someone is fired due to incompetence, which I assume is what Axiom's crazy manager would be alleging?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #182
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Teach me master.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #183
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Teach me master.
what u wanna know specifically?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:08 PM   #184
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Teach me master.
He's joking. Nkc is the slave master of a sweat shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #185
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But what if someone is fired due to incompetence, which I assume is what Axiom's crazy manager would be alleging?
its really hard to fire someone in the usa, they basically need to do something like reallllllly wrong to get fired. incompetence is not a reason to fire someone (it means you need better training opportunities for employees). the problem is anyone who is fired... don't sign anything to waive your rights. Just leave, don't say anything and get an attorney to sue the company.

No company i know wants to be brought into the limelight as a defendant in a court record. its very distracting and hurts public image of your brand. it also costs a lot of money even if you win and takes a lot of time to do it. so its more of a lose/lose for any company even if they are in the right to let go of someone.

if i were in TheAxiom shoes, i would talk to an attorney asap on what your rights are, learn not to talk about it too much (they have their ways to trace back online activities to you based on IP's you used at various sites. Don't sign anything unless your attorney says you should.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #186
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
How many times have you been thru this? Sounds amazing.

Quote:
I'm not joking Bimmy. I might be looking for employment some day and fazman's plan seems like a great one.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #187
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How many times have you been thru this? Sounds amazing.
i think the only time i ever quit a job was when i was working at EarthLink and a small software shop in The OC. Also i was a contractor once at Hughes Aircraft (now Raytheon).

i have been laid off from many smaller shops while i was still doing part-time school for my CS degree.

As part of NDA's from the larger shops, I can't discuss my layoffs, but i can discuss general things "about" layoffs in general. like "Layoffs are awesome!!!" But they are all tech companies that are very commonly used by you today. Most of what i work on is seen by billions of people everyday.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #188
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

since bimmette asked me about you... i've been dieing to ask you this question... your not "Florida Man" are you if not, please don't become Florida Man... i would hate to see you on the news

https://mobile.twitter.com/_floridaman
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #189
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:42 PM   #190
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not joking. He's my idol.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #191
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

since bimmette asked me about you... i've been dieing to ask you this question... your not "Florida Man" are you if not, please don't become Florida Man... i would hate to see you on the news

https://mobile.twitter.com/_floridaman
I'm originally from Connecticut, but no, I'm not Florida man hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #192
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm originally from Connecticut, but no, I'm not Florida man hahaha.
but in all seriousness, the point of your boss/HR/employeer to make life hard for you is so that you DO quit of your own wishes as opposed to being fired OR getting laid-off. HR is on the side of your manager and the company... never your side.

Please start a detailed journal of what happened and when. Get copies of all formal write ups (go back and ask for them if you don't have them). Just remember, you have nothing to fear as an employee, your boss and employer fear you and hope you don't understand law/the system so they can take advantage of you.

Always keep your cool, always act professional, and seek out an attorney who specializes in these things. Never tip your hat to them that you are building up a case or documenting everything. print out meeting invites that you were reprimanded at and keep as much detail in sequence ready for review. you never speak to them ever about this planning and just let your attorney hit them with a summons after everything is said and done by them. You will at minimum get unemployment money because even if you were fired, you can just say it was a BS tactic to wear you down so you would leave and the unemployment person will get you your weekly money.

At minimum you could always say in court that you were in fear of you job because your boss was mentally abusing you with all these reprimands.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2015, 07:16 AM   #193
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
its really hard to fire someone in the usa, they basically need to do something like reallllllly wrong to get fired. incompetence is not a reason to fire someone (it means you need better training opportunities for employees). the problem is anyone who is fired... don't sign anything to waive your rights. Just leave, don't say anything and get an attorney to sue the company.
Florida is an employment at will state. You can fire someone for almost any reason (or no reason at all) here. Exceptions are things like discrimination, filing a workers comp claim, exercising rights under medical leave act, etc. It would be a mistake to assume you can't get fired for incompetence in FL, or otherwise assume you couldn't just get fired for no reason one day. I've seen both happen many, many times. If they choose not to accept the separation agreement terms, they get nothing and then it is up to the employee to prove they were fired for an invalid reason (such as discrimination). True, there are plenty of bottom feeding attorneys willing to help you sue but there is no guarantee you will win and it certainly won't help your career / future employment references or near-term prospects (not to mention sharing whatever you "win" with attorneys).

While it benefits the attorneys working on such matters, it is typically better got most people to either work things out with an employer or find another one unless there is very clear evidence you are being discriminated against for something other than incompetence.
      10-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #194
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Florida is an employment at will state. You can fire someone for almost any reason (or no reason at all) here. Exceptions are things like discrimination, filing a workers comp claim, exercising rights under medical leave act, etc. It would be a mistake to assume you can't get fired for incompetence in FL, or otherwise assume you couldn't just get fired for no reason one day. I've seen both happen many, many times. If they choose not to accept the separation agreement terms, they get nothing and then it is up to the employee to prove they were fired for an invalid reason (such as discrimination). True, there are plenty of bottom feeding attorneys willing to help you sue but there is no guarantee you will win and it certainly won't help your career / future employment references or near-term prospects (not to mention sharing whatever you "win" with attorneys).

While it benefits the attorneys working on such matters, it is typically better got most people to either work things out with an employer or find another one unless there is very clear evidence you are being discriminated against for something other than incompetence.
While it is true that it is employment at will, then why do we have unemployment insurance that we all pay into? Its because sometimes they have to AT WILL end your employment due to no fault of your own.

To fire you for cause is a HUGE undertaking which can trip up companies in many ways along the process. Its far easier if you leave on your own will to the employer (so thats why they make it "hard" to stand being there... thats psychology).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 05:03 PM   #195
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
so this is what you meant when you told me "life things"

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #196
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #197
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
That was interesting, I had never heard of WARN, learn something everyday.

I have never been laid off, nor have I laid anyone off, which is odd at this point in my career--I suppose it's bound to happen. I think I would rather be like you, no skin off my back--I'll probably take it harder than most, just hope I control my temper lol
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #198
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
While it is true that it is employment at will, then why do we have unemployment insurance that we all pay into? Its because sometimes they have to AT WILL end your employment due to no fault of your own.

To fire you for cause is a HUGE undertaking which can trip up companies in many ways along the process. Its far easier if you leave on your own will to the employer (so thats why they make it "hard" to stand being there... thats psychology).
I have never collected unemployment, but I work in a different state than I live. Yet, I pay zero tax to the state I work (NJ). Well, let's hope I never need to collect because I'm certain the max is < 15% of my normal wages, no way I could live on it....
Appreciate 0