BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-23-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
Henkan
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83, 650 F12, X3 G01

What is this dot?

What does this dot in the first picture mean? It is only present when a destination has been entered in the nav.

And what does the number in the second picture mean? It can be different numbers from time to time.
Attached Images

Gone: 2002 BMW 330i Convertible E46
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive 30e G01
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 05:43 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

That dot appears (when you have a destination entered into the navigation system) in this "range" gauge. If you have the OBC info displayed...this gauge is a visual display of how many miles you have on the current MPH/MPG you are getting. The dot represents when you'll need to refuel.

If you click the NAV button around the iDrive controller...and get the list of where you see ROUTE INFORMATION...you will see the turn-by-turn info for the route you've taken. You will also see a recommendation for refueling (which aligns with the mileage approximation for the "dot")...and if you select the recommended refuel selection...iDrive will give you gas stations within that vicinity of your trip. You'll can know ahead of time if there's a gas station you usually use and you can add it to your route so that you don't drive past it and have to use another brand.

So in your pic below...you have a range of over 450 kilometers (at your current average MPG & MPH). If the remaining miles to your destination and your return home is less than 450 kilometers...you can go there and back home without having to fill up. If you get to your destination and then drive around for a while...you can look at that gauge and tell if you can make it back home without a fill-up if the mileage back home is less than what appears. If it will be more miles...you can still look at that gauge and determine when you'll need to top up the tank to get back home. If you don't want to fill the whole tank...whatever you put in at the next fill will change the gauge and the location of the "dot" if you have your home address entered into the nav system. If the dot appears above the mileage to get back home...as long as you maintain your average MPH (or should I say L/KM)...you'll get home without having to fill up.

Here’s mention of the “dot” from the owners manual. …and the pics below that shows where you can select ROUTE INFORMATION that will give you a turn by turn of your journey as well as refueling info that wil open the map to display gas stations that are in that vicinity where you need to refuel.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-23-2022 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2022, 06:16 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

The arrow in your pic is pointing to the upper information field that displays the time, phone info (the bars) and entertainment info. It looks like the BlueTooth symbol is illuminated next to the -2. Question…do you have TWO phones paired to your car? If you do, I wonder if it represents the second phone that is paired. I’m not sure so don’t quote me specifically on the “2” in this case. But if you were listening to a CD…the “2” would indicate the track number.

The lower info field in your pic displays active destination guidance (there’s that “dot” again. ), status of traffic bulletins, time of arrival, and distance to destination.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 11:19 AM   #4
Henkan
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83, 650 F12, X3 G01

Thanks Qsilver7! The dot makes sense! I will check the phones as I don't think I have paired more than one phone. Furthermore, I am quite certain that the number changes apparently randomly, but I am sure there is some logic hidden in there somewhere.
Gone: 2002 BMW 330i Convertible E46
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive 30e G01
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

I just checked my car...and when I have my phone paired and using BT connection...-1 appears if I go back to the nav map. I only have 1 phone paired which is visibly listed under external devices.

Then, if I switch to USB (I have a thumb drive inserted in the center armrest compartment)...the symbol changes to the USB icon & whatever the track number playing is...thats the nbr that appears. Same goes for a CD/DVD inserted...the symbol changes to a disc...and the track nbr playing shows next to it. Then if I select music collection (song tracks uploaded from a CD to the hard drive)...a different symbol appears & the track nbr appears to the right.

If the number keeps changing...are you listening to different sources? Or does the BT source you're listening to has multiple tracks? I was listening to a mixed artist Pandora station. If it is a single artist's album you're listening to...perhaps it is album track nbrs.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-25-2022 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0