BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #23
Jay1994
Banned
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
Not to hi-jack the thread, but just to add up (since I've got M6 dreams for quite some time now ))):

Could you elaborate a bit more on two points please:
1) How was Meisterschaft exhaust? I know they're crazy loud in general, but how's it on the inside - any drone? And how is it quality wise if compared to Eisennman or Akrapovic?
2) What made you go from M6 to M4 and then back to M6? I'm just saving up for my next dream car (which is M6 in LCI form) and for that money, well... there are a lot of fun options that bother my mind (apart from cross-shopping the dark side/etc. - M4 could technically be a cheaper fun "alternative"). Was it lack of power/comfort (i.e. materials are worse or you missed some option like B&O) or smth else?
I've also had both. Currently have an M4 and a 328i for a DD.

To answer your question about exhaust: Meisterschaft is probably on the lower tier of the three choices in terms of welding. Akrapovic is a work of art when it comes to welds and quality, followed by Eisennman, and lastly Meisterschaft.

The drone in the Meisterschaft is manageable, but it also varies in your tastes. The exhaust is LOUD especially when paired to the SGT midpipe and downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #24
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

Quote:
Not to hi-jack the thread, but just to add up (since I've got M6 dreams for quite some time now ))):

Could you elaborate a bit more on two points please:
1) How was Meisterschaft exhaust? I know they're crazy loud in general, but how's it on the inside - any drone? And how is it quality wise if compared to Eisennman or Akrapovic?
2) What made you go from M6 to M4 and then back to M6? I'm just saving up for my next dream car (which is M6 in LCI form) and for that money, well... there are a lot of fun options that bother my mind (apart from cross-shopping the dark side/etc. - M4 could technically be a cheaper fun "alternative"). Was it lack of power/comfort (i.e. materials are worse or you missed some option like B&O) or smth else?
Hey Armen,

I'll try to answer your questions...

1. I personally chose the Meisterschaft because it's likely the loudest cat back exhaust (with mufflers) and had the electronic valve controller that I could open and close for loudness control (Cold starts are very loud with valves open, and almost like stock when closed). I also liked the exhaust tips with the vertical bar inside. I thought it was a pretty unique look. I've heard many different exhausts on the M5/M6 and they all sound great but I'd get the Meister again (I'll be re-ordering it). Any of these systems that don't have a valve near the mufflers to divert exhaust and muffle the sound will drone to some extent in the 1800-2200 range. I personally like to hear some noise while cruising as the stock exhaust is amazingly too quiet for such a beast of an engine. By no means is it annoying. Quality wise - the thing is a stainless steel pipe. I had no problems with quality over 20k miles with it and fitment was spot on. I never even needed to replace the battery in the wireless controller. The valves never failed to operate.

2. M6 to M4 to M6: Primarily, I thought that the M4 would be a mini M6 (but less expensive, bigger following, more tunable, aftermarket, etc) given the upgrades in torque and interior fit and finish and a fresh new stylish look. I was wrong. My mistake was likely not test driving one before ordering. I ordered in July and delivered to me in November. There were not many examples to see or drive at that time. So why did I not like the M4 enough to stick with it for a year or more until the next great ride? Well...because the M6 is the next great ride -- right now. It is my daily driver. The things I did not like about the M4...on-center steering sloppy (although quick off-center); despite a good interior finish - fit is behind (rattles, creaking...the F12/13 platform is just built with a much higher quality you'd expect for the increase in price); the HK audio sucks (B&O is the best I've ever heard); exhaust sound is very annoying, not what I expected, and adding aftermarket exhaust just makes it louder and not better (IMO, I thought there'd be a way around this even with the exhaust valve mod but 'fraid not), whereas in the M5/M6 an exhaust makes it even better the more straight-piped you get (I had the catted AMS DP's too for awhile); paint quality is very poor (I had SO) and scratched very easily; the steering wheel although having the same shape does not have the same soft leather; the windshield chips very easily; the M4 is too torquey and in combo with a crappy exhaust note the feeling of acceleration and noise does not match well (the M4 is a poor freeway driver, IMO). Yes the M6 has great low end torque but it is somewhat progressive and linear and max power is at redline. The last straw for me at 1300 miles was when I finally was able to open the M4 up although fast up to like 60-70, the M6 was on a whole 'nother level and I could not compromise on this -- so the M4 went back, and I got my future perfect car -- today.

Mark
      01-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #25
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
I'm not sure about him, but I know at least one reason if you go to M4, will regret and that is POWER. Don't get me wrong! I love M4 and will get it soon, but not with trading the M6. I would like to have both of them. M4 is a nimble fun car, but M6 is a monster. You need to test drive it to get what I am talking about
Agreed. Only get the M4 for tracking or if you like to turn often and quickly.

Mark
      01-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #26
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F12M6MD View Post
Agreed. Only get the M4 for tracking or if you like to turn often and quickly.

Mark
Thanks for advice and yes that's the reason I want MT M4.
BTW congrats on your M6 again
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #27
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1994 View Post
I've also had both. Currently have an M4 and a 328i for a DD.

To answer your question about exhaust: Meisterschaft is probably on the lower tier of the three choices in terms of welding. Akrapovic is a work of art when it comes to welds and quality, followed by Eisennman, and lastly Meisterschaft.

The drone in the Meisterschaft is manageable, but it also varies in your tastes. The exhaust is LOUD especially when paired to the SGT midpipe and downpipes.
I've had both the Meisterchaft and Eisenmann Race on my M6 (catless downpipes and no resonators). The Eisenmann is undoubtedly the loudest of the two exhaust systems. Also, from a quality standpoint the Eisenmann beats the Meisterchaft, Eisenmann is hand made in Germany while Meisterchaft is made in Asian and has a deceiving German name (no idea why the Meisterchaft carries a comparable price tag when it's made in Asia).

I have not heard the Akra in person but its supposed to sound beautiful making a very unique sound. It's a toned down quieter exhaust system so you have to take that into account as well. As Jay said the quality on the Akra is supposed to be stellar.

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #28
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Mark, M6-Coupe ,Brian, Jay1994 - thanks a ton for your comments! I'm now convinced more than ever that M6 should be my only choice (especially coming from my current DD which, interior quality wise/etc. is definitely in the 6-series league and not 4-series - so I might feel a downgrade if I went for the M4)... So must hurry saving up the $$$ while it's still there (especially since LCI is starting production in March).

P.S. Wish we had an M6 here for a test-drive, but if I do hopefully buy it - I'll be the first and only owner of it on the island I guess the local ~205k USD price tag (loaded enough) scares most people off into 911 territory
P.P.S. The usual for the community here.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 12:53 AM   #29
Jay1994
Banned
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383
Mark, M6-Coupe ,Brian, Jay1994 - thanks a ton for your comments! I'm now convinced more than ever that M6 should be my only choice (especially coming from my current DD which, interior quality wise/etc. is definitely in the 6-series league and not 4-series - so I might feel a downgrade if I went for the M4)... So must hurry saving up the $$$ while it's still there (especially since LCI is starting production in March).

P.S. Wish we had an M6 here for a test-drive, but if I do hopefully buy it - I'll be the first and only owner of it on the island I guess the local ~205k USD price tag (loaded enough) scares most people off into 911 territory
No problem! Happy to have been able help you make your choice
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #30
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Happy to help. Good luck!

Mark
      01-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #31
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:

wish you best of luck sir!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:02 AM   #32
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]