BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > Member's Classifieds [6 Series and M6]

01-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

WTB: 650i GC Down Pipes (N63TU)

Let me know what you have...

Last edited by AmooManiak; 02-01-2018 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Let me know what you have...
does anyone make one? I'm not aware of anyone who does. Your only option may be to remove yours (or order a new set) and pound out the cats. Fitment should be perfect!

And if you do it to a new set, you can send them out for ceramic coating before install.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
does anyone make one? I'm not aware of anyone who does. Your only option may be to remove yours (or order a new set) and pound out the cats. Fitment should be perfect!

And if you do it to a new set, you can send them out for ceramic coating before install.
Quick Google search just returned quite a few results - so yes, it looks like they exist.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
doughboy650gc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i grand coupe

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Google search just returned quite a few results - so yes, it looks like they exist.
arm motorsports,a.r design and on n63intake.com
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
doughboy650gc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i grand coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy650gc View Post
Quote:
Quote:

i saw somewhere that m5/m6 cats works on ours also...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy650gc View Post
well how about that! Looks like n63 intake may be selling re-selling the arm product, as they post the exact same gains. And the arm gains posted are on a stage 2 vehicle with a cold air intake and 93 tune, so take all that with a grain of salt. It will be smaller gains for sure without supporting mods and a tune to take advantage of them.

Of course, if the major motivation for the downpipes is aural gratification, then carry on!

As an aside, in googling available products, many suppliers seem not to differentiate between 550 and 650, and even 750 in some cases, and they also don't seem to have a different product for the N63 versus the N63TU. Whether that is because all those cars use exactly the same size downpipe, or because they don't know the difference or care about the difference, will be determined as people start getting into downpipes. Personally, I would be very interested in a proven, ceramic coated downpipe! the stage 2 tunes that are becoming available have some very impressive gains!
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Still looking...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
Dasein
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i xDrive

Marketing and notes

Quote:
well how about that! Looks like n63 intake may be selling re-selling the arm product, as they post the exact same gains. And the arm gains posted are on a stage 2 vehicle with a cold air intake and 93 tune, so take all that with a grain of salt. It will be smaller gains for sure without supporting mods and a tune to take advantage of them.

Of course, if the major motivation for the downpipes is aural gratification, then carry on!

As an aside, in googling available products, many suppliers seem not to differentiate between 550 and 650, and even 750 in some cases, and they also don't seem to have a different product for the N63 versus the N63TU. Whether that is because all those cars use exactly the same size downpipe, or because they don't know the difference or care about the difference, will be determined as people start getting into downpipes. Personally, I would be very interested in a proven, ceramic coated downpipe! the stage 2 tunes that are becoming available have some very impressive gains!
I've noticed the same thing cited in first paragraph on some of the tuner's sites. When dyno data is published to the web, it sometimes lacks details about the full scope of mods, whether it is stage 1 or stage II etc.

With respect to ceramic- I have in my hands (in my trunk, actually) ceramic coated AR downpipe. The ceramic option is noted on most vendors' pages. Of course, not having installed it yet I can't provide longevity data, but it looks well done.

I also found the same frustration when looking into applications/cross-compatibility. I think the main factor is laziness- er prioritization based on market size- among vendors. Different pages show compatibility across 5 and 6 platforms, and/or between S63 and N63 or N63TU, and others don't.

In the end, I pinged the manufacturer and while there was a short wait did get a direct response that provided the asked-for part number for my application, which I then took to a retail vendor.

I suppose there's a certain PITA factor to be expected with aspirational Marque...but I don't much like it. And dealing with installers has been a complete joke thus far so I guess I'll be busting the wrenches out.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
Dasein
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i xDrive

Maybe it would foster more "real information" if the Commercial classified was more closely managed.

IMHO, there should be a cap on the number of times a thread can be bumped without adding actual information. Listing a product or claiming a sale of some sort and then bumping for months...there's no there, there. Should get maybe three or four bumps and if there hasn't been a reply or inquiry posted by a different party- thread closed.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
I've noticed the same thing cited in first paragraph on some of the tuner's sites. When dyno data is published to the web, it sometimes lacks details about the full scope of mods, whether it is stage 1 or stage II etc.

With respect to ceramic- I have in my hands (in my trunk, actually) ceramic coated AR downpipe. The ceramic option is noted on most vendors' pages. Of course, not having installed it yet I can't provide longevity data, but it looks well done.

I also found the same frustration when looking into applications/cross-compatibility. I think the main factor is laziness- er prioritization based on market size- among vendors. Different pages show compatibility across 5 and 6 platforms, and/or between S63 and N63 or N63TU, and others don't.

In the end, I pinged the manufacturer and while there was a short wait did get a direct response that provided the asked-for part number for my application, which I then took to a retail vendor.

I suppose there's a certain PITA factor to be expected with aspirational Marque...but I don't much like it. And dealing with installers has been a complete joke thus far so I guess I'll be busting the wrenches out.
Since the post you quoted, I determined that the downpipes for the N63 and N63tu are compatible - they are the same between 550 and 650, not sure about 750. I almost purchased the ceramic coated AR downpipes with hi flow cats - they are dreamy . I will probably add them next spring to keep me from getting bored.

Please keep us updated on your install and results!
Appreciate 0