BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Mfmcenany
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650ix

Upgrade CIC to latest NBT...possible? Affordable?

I have a 2013 (early in model year...April I believe) 650i xdrive convertible. Less than 10k miles on it so would love to upgrade some of the electronics. Still under CPO warranty. Question I would love some guidance on...

1 - is it possible to make the upgrade?
2 - I assume it would mean both hardware and software changes?
3 - would this screw up other systems in the car?
4 - third party or dealer? I would not be comfortable as a DIY.
5 - thoughts on cost?

I have to believe there are others out there that love the car but hate the old CIC and Connected Drive and have done this.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
thejsn
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm not sure if you can link to vendors so just google for "bmw retrofit" or "bimmer tech" and you will find some vendors who can quote you on this retrofit. Expect around $2000, its not a simple DIY because CIC has part of the unit in the trunk, which means many of your car wiring ie. Bluetooth are running to the trunk. The new computer NBT or NBT-EVO expects all of the connections in the front of the car. if your car was 2014, it would be easier as NBT would have much of the wiring there.

Idrive really is quite nice but its mostly interface not function. The key reasons i would want to upgrade, keep in mind same crappy BMW apps no matter what system you have.

Siri/Google now by pressing and holding voice command button (NBT or higher only)
High Resolution Audio WMA (Lossless)
Apple Carplay - I'm on android so this doesn't really bother me.
Appreciate 0