BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Apple Car Play

Another poster on this forum has mentioned that he managed to get Apple Car Play working in his new 640d GC. I have a Sep '16 640i and AFAIK it isn't available. Has anyone else managed to get it working? I'd really appreciate a 'how-to' if someone else has done it - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
JakeBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 650i Xdrive GC -Carbon Bk

Garage List
I'd like to know too, if this is true!
      11-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
Logic7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport Gran Coupe

First thing, check http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...f=72&t=1610533 to see if you have a compatible model, build currency and options.

If you have, you need to buy Apple CarPlay via the BMW ConnectedDrive portal (http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/ow...roduction.html). You'll need to have created an account and added your BMW to it. Think is was £235.

Anyone who has ordered their BMW more recent and added Apple CarPlay to their spec at order time (think it is now an option in the configurator) can obviously skip the above step.

Finally you need to go into the iDrive. If I recall correctly I saw some instructions telling you to press and hold the voice activation button for several seconds to connect your phone to the car as an Apple CarPlay device. This didn't work! What you need to do is disconnect your existing phone pairing via the iDrive, then reconnect it selecting the Apple CarPlay option rather than the usual Bluetooth option.

That should do the trick!
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2016, 03:45 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Thanks for this, I've posted the question with BMW on-line and I'm awaiting a call-back. I'll also sheck with my dealer, but past experience tells me not to expect too much from the, so called, 'product genius'.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Just received an email from BMW confirming that my car is fully compatible and that I can purchase the Carplay preparation from the connected drive store for £235 . Not sure I want my phone up on the screen THAT much!
Thanks for posting the info though.
Appreciate 0