BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Perfect Spec?

I'm considering replacing my 550xi with a '17 650xi GC, and I'm stuck on just a few options - looking for input from owners.

- Full Leather: I've had black leather exclusively in my BMWs, and I was thinking of sticking with black here, too. However, it looks like full leather only comes in shades of brown, cream, and white. I could see trying brown (Amaro), but I really don't know if this is the way I want to go. However, I do like the extra leather coverage of full leather - dash canopy, lower doors, around steering column, etc. Thoughts?

- Night Vision: As a techie, this is cool to me. However, the reviews in the past have been mediocre. Anyone here have it and find it useful? I live in a semi rural where you do come across deer on the road, certainly potential for people in/near the street, etc. Worth it?

I'm pretty much planning to load the car with every other option. MSRP is coming to around $114k the way I'm spec'ing it right now (which includes night vision but not full leather).

Appreciate any input from folks here - what would you have included but didn't/regret, or what would you have left off if ordering/buying again?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
sewright
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i

I have both full leather and night vision. If I were choosing one or the other, I'd take the full leather (and change the grill to black which you can't get with the night vision).

I've only ever had one encounter with a deer and it ran into the fender, so the sensor never went off. I do like to turn the night vision on when I'm driving after dark though, it looks pretty cool but I'm not sure how useful that it has been for me.
      11-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

For me the only must tick boxes were HUD, reverse cam and Harmon Kardon sound.

Speed limit display here in the UK is handy. Its like parking sensors in the sense that until you have had them you wonder how you ever lived without it before. But at the same time if I had to do without it I could.

Everything else I can live without.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

HUD
Surround View
Adaptive Drive
Driving Assistant Plus
Adaptive LED
Comfort Seats
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input guys. Spent some time at the dealer today with a 650xi GC - had the dash leather that comes with M-Sport here in the US... appears to all be leather but the canopy isn't stitched like what you get with Individual Leather. Plus, there's not leather on the door bottoms or around the steering wheel. Still, it's very nice, and it's a nicer quality than what's in my 550xi.

I've wavered on the night vision because I've heard it was only "so-so" in usefulness. I have a feeling it'll be more of a toy to show friends/family versus truly useful... but for the time being, I'm still including it in my spec.

I've also confirmed with BMW that the shadowline trim can be "deleted" - reverted back to plain chrome. I haven't decided whether or not I'd do this, but it's nice to know it's possible. When fitting M-Sport here in the US, they automatically include shadowline trim. I have it on my 550xi, as well, and while it looks nice, on an all-black car, it really tends to mute things a bit. So, I'm considering deleting this option.

Lastly on the interior side, if I went with Amaro, I'm trying to decide what trim would go the best. The Fine Line is probably the safe bet... with Sycamore potentially being my next option... and something very different, but potentially beautiful, would be the Ash White. The Ash White in combination with the Amaro and Black leathers makes for a pretty stunning combination, I think... but certainly out of my typical comfort zone at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315574

Here's a pic of my M6 GC's interior. Amaro brown with Sycamore trim. BTW, very easy to maintain.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Drake View Post
http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315574

Here's a pic of my M6 GC's interior. Amaro brown with Sycamore trim. BTW, very easy to maintain.
Thanks - very helpful. The Sycamore trim isn't as red as I was expecting, interestingly.

I don't usually carry passengers (randomly), but I'm a tad concerned how the leather will hold up if I decide to load my toddler's car seat into the back. Any comments from folks who've done it? The leather appears soft, and the curvature of the seat means the plastic edges/underside of the seat may dig-in a bit. Is the full/individual leather sturdy enough for this on an infrequent basis?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
LarrySinNJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

The night vision saved my butt as a deer ran out into the street. Without it, there would have been a collision. But as the all leather is concerned, I have the Vermillion Red Nappa, with the black leather dash and it's gorgeous!
2011 E90 328i xDrive Space Grey/Black Leather(Ret'd)
2009 E90 328i xDrive Monaco Blue/(Ret'd) 2007 E90 328i xDrive Graphite (Ret'd)
Appreciate 0