BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
AKDDMD
Rep
Drives: BMW

New car debate

So my 640gc xdrive lease is ending in a few weeks and I thought I was all set to get an m6gc. Seemed simple enough I like my current car a lot and the top of the range with its mental motor and little m touches was it for me. Then I made the mistake of test driving a Maserati granturismo. Objectively, I know the m6 is faster, better built and has better tech BUT as good as the gc looks the Maserati is better looking and the sound is incredible. It drives reasonably well but for the same money it's a tough call. The m6 would definitely be the better daily and saner choice but the Maserati is a gateway drug to exotic car ownership. To complicate matters I may have found a cheap lease swap to try a granturismo for a year. The only other thing stopping me is imho it's a little to flashy for work (dentist) but I could drive my e90 328 the 3 miles to work. Any thoughts would be appreciated I know some of you guys have or have had exotics and have probably cross shopped same cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

It all depends on what you are looking for. To me Maserati GT looks good and sounds nice while performance wise is not even close to M6. It's most likely the competitor of 650i. Also I personally prefer the interior of M6 (quality & look) over Mas... You can get better deal on M6 2016 now
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 01:23 AM   #3
shocka1212
Philanthropist
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Gran turismo exterior is great to look at.. Unfortunately you can't look at it while driving. That center console is too out dated for a car of that price point IMO
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
adanny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6

I test drove both and like you fell in love with both. But I think I eventually realized that the Maserati "love" was induced by the name and the look, not substance. I research everything to death and ultimately my conclusion is that the m6 is way superior in interior technology (apps; navigation, head up display), safety, cabin comfort, wind noise, speed, trunk space . The Maserati has an exotic look and name and might get more valet parking ogles. But I don't think I will buy a Maserati and am now looking only for an m6 vert.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 12:21 AM   #5
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Maserati Gran Turismo was released in 2007. It's nearly a decade old model with an upgraded shell and a few extra bells and whistles to keep it modern. And interior design still looks like it was from 10 years ago. My friend who had the 2013 Gran Turismo ended her lease last year, jumped into a 650i gran coupe and she loves it. If she is impressed by a 650i.. I can only imagine what she would've thought of the M6 in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
wanna6
Private
Rep
Drives: .

I just got my wife an M6 yesterday and I've been driving a Maserati GT for 3 years now... They are totally different cars. Although I'll be the first to admit the GC is a better car in every way...

The BMW is almost like a surgical tool. It's stupid fast, has an amazing interior (full leather is a must though) and enough gadgets to make Dexter happy. When I picked up the M6 yesterday we spent an hour with the sales man as he went over every feature and I still feel like I only know about 25% of how this car works.

Then there is the GT.... Truth be told there is something about the GT that makes me like it better. With the M6 you can accidentally go 120MPH, it's simply not an event. With the GT's glorious exhaust note it's an event every time you drive it, you just feel the passion with every drive. I feel my senses are more awakened and the car is more of a raw beauty depsite all it's flaw's.

Although I'm not just being a fanboy... In my opinion Maserati is going down hill.

The new Quatroporte and Ghibli's are no longer hand made in Modena. They are mass produced and equipped with Chrysler parts in order for maserati to sell more units.

Even though the tech is refreshed on the newer Maserati's they are still lightyears away from the tech you'll find in an M6. The GT has more of a timeless design to it where the QP and Ghibli simply look behind the times for cars of that price range.

Even though the GT is at the end of it's life cycle now would be the time to grab a GT as who knows how they're going to bastardize the new gran turismo (or it's rumored successor the alfieri) in order to be able to get to their goal of selling 50k cars a year.

With the GT you need to put some aftermarket performance chips to get it up to snuff otherwise it accelerates like a granny car. Since Ferrari and Maserati are so close I have a feeling they intentionally detuned the GT engine to make the California more desirable.

I have formula dynamics ECM and DBW chips in my car which makes it drive a lot more like a Ferrari California. Although my stock M6 can spank the pants off the GT at any kind of race and I'd never take the GT on a track (although I have plans on taking the M6 out for the occasional HPDE)

In closing, you really gotta drive both cars and figure out whats right for you. They're both amazing machines, they're both grand touring cars that turn 500+ mile road trips into a joy, but they have completely different personalities.

I will say the Maserati is more of a gateway drug to exotic cars though... I never even looked at other Italian brands before getting the GT. But now I'm kind of warming up the idea of a 458 in a couple years as a replacement to the GT.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #7
2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna6 View Post
I just got my wife an M6 yesterday and I've been driving a Maserati GT for 3 years now... They are totally different cars. Although I'll be the first to admit the GC is a better car in every way...

The BMW is almost like a surgical tool. It's stupid fast, has an amazing interior (full leather is a must though) and enough gadgets to make Dexter happy. When I picked up the M6 yesterday we spent an hour with the sales man as he went over every feature and I still feel like I only know about 25% of how this car works.

Then there is the GT.... Truth be told there is something about the GT that makes me like it better. With the M6 you can accidentally go 120MPH, it's simply not an event. With the GT's glorious exhaust note it's an event every time you drive it, you just feel the passion with every drive. I feel my senses are more awakened and the car is more of a raw beauty depsite all it's flaw's.

Although I'm not just being a fanboy... In my opinion Maserati is going down hill.

The new Quatroporte and Ghibli's are no longer hand made in Modena. They are mass produced and equipped with Chrysler parts in order for maserati to sell more units.

Even though the tech is refreshed on the newer Maserati's they are still lightyears away from the tech you'll find in an M6. The GT has more of a timeless design to it where the QP and Ghibli simply look behind the times for cars of that price range.

Even though the GT is at the end of it's life cycle now would be the time to grab a GT as who knows how they're going to bastardize the new gran turismo (or it's rumored successor the alfieri) in order to be able to get to their goal of selling 50k cars a year.

With the GT you need to put some aftermarket performance chips to get it up to snuff otherwise it accelerates like a granny car. Since Ferrari and Maserati are so close I have a feeling they intentionally detuned the GT engine to make the California more desirable.

I have formula dynamics ECM and DBW chips in my car which makes it drive a lot more like a Ferrari California. Although my stock M6 can spank the pants off the GT at any kind of race and I'd never take the GT on a track (although I have plans on taking the M6 out for the occasional HPDE)

In closing, you really gotta drive both cars and figure out whats right for you. They're both amazing machines, they're both grand touring cars that turn 500+ mile road trips into a joy, but they have completely different personalities.

I will say the Maserati is more of a gateway drug to exotic cars though... I never even looked at other Italian brands before getting the GT. But now I'm kind of warming up the idea of a 458 in a couple years as a replacement to the GT.

You lost me at GATEWAY DRUG

Intoxication of the M6 I can see ... But Maserati

Lambo ... Yes

Ferrari ... Yes

Might be me and the fumes of my M6

But gateway drug
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
BMWlab
Rep
Drives: White M6 Gran Coupe 2016

Everyone I have talked to that has owned one indicates dealer visits can be quite frequent due to problems. Maserati does not have anything close to the network of service centers or parts availability that other manufacturers have. To me, it would be scary to take it out of town.