BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Hardwire V1?

Ive easily been able to do this in my last 5 BMW's.... tapping in from the rear view mirror area.

The M6 seems to be a little different.... perhaps because of the CF roof.

Normally you pop out the housing that holds the SOS button, reading lights, etc. From there you can find the wires and tap.

However, I cant seem to get the d*mn housing to pop out. seems to be a little different than my previous M's.

Anyone done this before?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

nevermind... got it. it just didnt want to cooperate!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
jwchi
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

How did you do it???
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
nevermind... got it. it just didnt want to cooperate!
+1 ^

I'm with him. I've got a rather strong grip (started playing piano at 8 and martial arts a couple of years later) and tend to destruct things that don't "want to cooperate" - ice cube trays mostly (well, I thought it was about to go and I figured just a little more out to do it ). I'd sure like to see the trick. A pic or two would be great, but I know that's asking a lot. I'm sure you've already got it back together so please don't take it apart again. But maybe a shot with a finger or pen/pencil pointing at where you started working on it would be nice. Forget it if it's any trouble at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Blendmount and mirrortap

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

Can you comment on the blend mount as it relates to how much front vision is obstructed? I've heard a lot of guys putting it above and to the right of the rear view mirror. Any observation appreciated as my V1 is on the way.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
Can you comment on the blend mount as it relates to how much front vision is obstructed? I've heard a lot of guys putting it above and to the right of the rear view mirror. Any observation appreciated as my V1 is on the way.
How much front vision is obstructed is difficult to quantify, but qualitatively speaking, not much. I never thought its location was an issue at all and when driving, it's not something that I've noticed.

My Vette is hardwired at the same place, but with the V1 on suction cups rather than a blendmount. The location is above, but to the left of the mirror in order to mute it easier.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
Definitely a matter of preference. I find that having a detector below the mirror blocks too much of my front-right view (not just that's in the way, but that it makes my eyes focus close first as I look past it...). I have to keep mine up and to the right of the mirror, so the mirror is blocking 90% of my view of the detector, and it's mounted quite high up. But I can't argue that the blend mount looks good!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

All good comments. I'm planning to black out my V1 and have the display on my iPhone mounted in the cup holder. I sat in the seat and just don't want to take that much space out of the windshield if it's on the blend mount. Good to hear this.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

It is very easy to hardwire the Valentine on virtually ANY BMW. I've done this on both my 2013 M6 and my 2013 X6M. You don't even need to open up anything...

1. I have both my V1's attached to the windscreen just below the roofline and immediately to the right of the mirror. I used the standard suction cup mount except that I used 3M double sided tape cut to fit the outline of each suction cup. The V1 is attached firmly to the glass by using this method. The V1 can also be removed from the mount and the mount can even be removed from the windscreen when you're ready to sell the car (remove tape residue with a glass scraper).

2. The major trick here (in NOT having to hardwire the V1), is to use the ODB power adapter available from Valentine. This basically powers the V1 directly from the ODB port. It also has a nice side feature that you can configure the adapter to disable audio warnings below a specific speed (i.e. No alarms if you are travelling below 35 mph - or sitting at a light).

3. Then, you need a long telephone cable to connect the ODB adapter to the V1. These are cheap. Start at your V1 and tuck the wiring into your headliner all the way over to the drivers A-Pillar. Then tuck it behind the A-Pillar trim all the way down to the door and behind the dashboard trim at the door jamb. This is really easy and doesn't require any disassembly or tools. Then just hook it into your OBD adapter. Wrap up any excess cable and tuck it behind your dashboard.

...No tools, no hardwiring, easily removable, professional install!

For "Extra Credit", you can also get the Valentine remote display unit, and/or the bluetooth adapter and install either one of these down low on your dash (again with the 3M tape). This will keep your V1 dark so no one can see it lit up from the outside of your car. The V1 still sounds audio alerts, but now the directional displays and lights will be low on your dashboard so you won't get parasitic drivers running up your butt (or John Law looking for a telltale Radar display on your windscreen. The remote and bluetooth units will both work with the ODB adapter as well. The ODB adapter makes it very easy to locate these items low on your dashboard but still well within the drivers eyesight. The Bluetooth adapter allows you to send V1 info directly to your smartphone for a much more informative display. You can't use the V1 remote display and the Bluetooth adapter at the same time though. I have them both bonded together as one small unit (again with the 3m tape) so I can simply move the data cable back and forth between them. I leave the remote display in use around town but typically switch to the bluetooth unit (and my android phone) for longer trips.

You can find out more about the ODB adapter, Remote Display, and Bluetooth Adapter at the Valentine web site...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
2. The major trick here (in NOT having to hardwire the V1), is to use the ODB power adapter available from Valentine. This basically powers the V1 directly from the ODB port. It also has a nice side feature that you can configure the adapter to disable audio warnings below a specific speed (i.e. No alarms if you are travelling below 35 mph - or sitting at a light).
Great info. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

evanevery,
That is a great write up and very similar to what I intend to do when my V1 arrives. I hadn't considered the tape on the suction cups. I'll see how it works without first.

Regarding the OBD port (Valentine calls it Savvy), I have been told that the next BMW software update for 2015 will make a problem for us. If anything "non-BMW" is plugged into the OBD port the alarm will sound when you lock the door (I think that was it). I am still planning to go this route and will have to wait until the software update is due later this year I'm sure.

Glad to hear your success. I'm liking your idea of the concealed display option when the iPhone app isn't open. The other "negative" I have heard is that the iPhone app closes if you get a phone call or text and you have to go re-open it for functionality. Can you confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I don't use an iPhone (and never will). I use an Android phone and have not experienced the behavior you mention...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't use an iPhone (and never will). I use an Android phone and have not experienced the behavior you mention...
Understand. This will only be an issue if this 2015 software update from BMW is installed and you use the Savvy/OBD plug in. We'll have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
CalifBrit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M6 MT Gran Coupe, Comp pkg

Quote:
It is very easy to hardwire the Valentine on virtually ANY BMW. I've done this on both my 2013 M6 and my 2013 X6M. You don't even need to open up anything...

1. I have both my V1's attached to the windscreen just below the roofline and immediately to the right of the mirror. I used the standard suction cup mount except that I used 3M double sided tape cut to fit the outline of each suction cup. The V1 is attached firmly to the glass by using this method. The V1 can also be removed from the mount and the mount can even be removed from the windscreen when you're ready to sell the car (remove tape residue with a glass scraper).

3. Then, you need a long telephone cable to connect the ODB adapter to the V1. These are cheap. Start at your V1 and tuck the wiring into your headliner all the way over to the drivers A-Pillar. Then tuck it behind the A-Pillar trim all the way down to the door and behind the dashboard trim at the door jamb. This is really easy and doesn't require any disassembly or tools. Then just hook it into your OBD adapter. Wrap up any excess cable and tuck it behind your dashboard.

...No tools, no hardwiring, easily removable, professional install!

For "Extra Credit", you can also get the Valentine remote display unit, and/or the bluetooth adapter and install either one of these down low on your dash (again with the 3M tape). This will keep your V1 dark so no one can see it lit up from the outside of your car. The V1 still sounds audio alerts, but now the directional displays and lights will be low on your dashboard so you won't get parasitic drivers running up your butt (or John Law looking for a telltale Radar display on your windscreen. The remote and bluetooth units will both work with the ODB adapter as well. The ODB adapter makes it very easy to locate these items low on your dashboard but still well within the drivers eyesight. The Bluetooth adapter allows you to send V1 info directly to your smartphone for a much more informative display. You can't use the V1 remote display and the Bluetooth adapter at the same time though. I have them both bonded together as one small unit (again with the 3m tape) so I can simply move the data cable back and forth between them. I leave the remote display in use around town but typically switch to the bluetooth unit (and my android phone) for longer trips.

You can find out more about the ODB adapter, Remote Display, and Bluetooth Adapter at the Valentine web site...
This is exactly what I've done. Works a treat.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #16
n0shadowkick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Schwinn

Good info. heres a DIY link:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1027061
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #17
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
Blendmount and mirrortap

This is great. Thanks for the help. I am not sure I want to block my vision to the center and right. I am tall and sit up pretty high in the car. However, that sure makes for a really clean installation. The mirrortap looks like a must and I might get one of the blendmounts just to check it out. I guess though that it would probably not be too hard to mock it up without going to that expense. It's a shame they don't make a similar piece that puts it up above the mirror.

I also am wondering about the placement this gives the detector. I have read that BMW and other makers are using tints or something in their windshields that affect the transmission of some light/electronic signals and can affect the performance of radar detectors. This is mentioned on the K-40 site. And I think BMW even says something about mounting certain items in just a few areas. In fact I kind of wonder about it from the rear too with a V1, especially with the way a lot of you guys tint your windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
evanevery,
That is a great write up and very similar to what I intend to do when my V1 arrives. I hadn't considered the tape on the suction cups. I'll see how it works without first.

Regarding the OBD port (Valentine calls it Savvy), I have been told that the next BMW software update for 2015 will make a problem for us. If anything "non-BMW" is plugged into the OBD port the alarm will sound when you lock the door (I think that was it). I am still planning to go this route and will have to wait until the software update is due later this year I'm sure.

Glad to hear your success. I'm liking your idea of the concealed display option when the iPhone app isn't open. The other "negative" I have heard is that the iPhone app closes if you get a phone call or text and you have to go re-open it for functionality. Can you confirm this?
First off, I do not have a V1 and have never used one - so take all of this as speculation. I have had this problem with other apps on my iPhone (boy I hate them too) as well as on my car (both incoming and outgoing calls switch focus to the phone on the display, even though I might be in the middle of something - like the back up camera) but most of the time the last app gets back in control once the phone has finished. Doesn't do you much good if the radar paints your car while you are on the phone and relying on the app to tell you what's going on. I have no idea which would take priority but I have a feeling I don't want to find out the hard way. I do have some people who I think would help me test this though. But as yet I do not have a V1 and have never used one - so take all of this as speculation.

I have not had a radar detector in years. I usually don't drive that fast (not that fast), but lately my wife has told me (twice now) it seems like I am driving faster than I used to - Hmmm?? You don't think it might have anything to do with the M6? Seeing this thread and remembering her comment has definitely got me thinking. So I've got to ask a couple of questions. But rather than hijacking this thread I think I'll probably start a new one, that is unless I can find the answers somewhere else here on 6Post. Mostly I am concerned about how well the V1 works (some of you all seem pretty convinced about the V1), and how compatible the SAVVY is with a BMS and possible future incompatibility with the OBDII port.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #18
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chask View Post
This is great. Thanks for the help. I am not sure I want to block my vision to the center and right. I am tall and sit up pretty high in the car. However, that sure makes for a really clean installation. The mirrortap looks like a must and I might get one of the blendmounts just to check it out. I guess though that it would probably not be too hard to mock it up without going to that expense.
The mount is clean and doesn't obstruct, but again, that's a matter of opinion and preference.

There are some good DIY links and ideas posted above with options other than mirrortap. Might want to check them out.

Also, if you're considering the V1...

http://www.valentine1.com/v1info/junk_k_fighter/
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #19
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe a dumb question but does the rubber section on the front rest on the windshield in everyone's application? Unless blend mount obviously.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #20
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Placing the V1 up high near the headliner and to the right of the mirror provides the following benefits:

- Less obstruction of the drivers view of the road

- Higher position for better long range view by the radar detector (front and especially rear)

- Less visible from OUTSIDE the car when driving down the road (silhouette)

- Can be done easily using the mount which is included with the V1 and some good 3M double sided tape cut to match the suction cup outlines
Appreciate 0