BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-23-2024, 07:44 AM   #1
alexghost1233
Rep
Drives: bmw

640xdrive wheel question

Hello guys im 21 years old and i just bought my bmw 640xdrive with 19inch wheels, and upon closer inspection the car apperantly dosen't have xdrive wheels, it dosen't have that star on them. Now I need to buy new tires, i dont know a lot about xdrive systems since it's my first awd car and hope I can get educated more on the matter.
My wheels specs are 245/40 R 19 front, 275/35R 19 back.

The question is are those good rims for xdrive or i should change them? and if they are good what tires should i buy? -Thank you for your time
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 10:36 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

The star you are talking about is not about XDrive. It's more of a tire rating thing that indicates the tires were designed for BMWs in some subtle way. I run Michelin Pilot Sport AS4+ tires all the time and don't care if they have the star or not. Have not looked. As for the wheels being for XDrive, the issue for XDrive is the rolling diameter of the wheels/tires must be very close to the same front and rear. It's like 1 or 2%- you can Google it. I think some XDrives have what are called "staggered" wheels, which is what you have. Mine are all the same size, which is called "square." There are websites where you can calculate the rolling diameter of your wheels/tires. I think one is called "Will it Fit" and think there is one on the Tire Rack site.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 11:12 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

...its www.willtheyfit.com

What are xDrive wheel? BMW offered multiple wheels for the F chassis 6 series...all of the oe BMW wheels for the f06/f12/f13 fit...the wheels for the M6 F chassis are the only ones you may have issues with due to the wheel offset of the rear wheels.

You can see all of the BMW wheels for the F chassis models (like around 36 wheel selections) on sites like the online part database...here's an example: https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...W+640iX/ECE/36

The link above also gives the recommended BMW tires for all the various wheel sizes. You can use those...or go to other tire brands...but you should stick with the recommended tire sizes. If you go outside those recommended tire sizes for the wheel size you have...then use the www.willtheyfit.com website to try to stay close to the overall diameter/circumference and wheel offset range of the original wheel/tire combos.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-23-2024 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 03:01 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Q, so what your saying is that BMW did not offer any staggered wheel setups that were only for RWD cars (excluding M6)? I had wondered about that but never looked into is because mine are square.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 05:26 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Q, so what your saying is that BMW did not offer any staggered wheel setups that were only for RWD cars (excluding M6)? I had wondered about that but never looked into is because mine are square.
No…that is not what I was saying…if it came across that way…oops.

I posted a link to the bimmercat part database site that gives all of the wheel options for the f06/f12/f13 sedans & coupes. If you go through all of the wheels you can see what was offered. In the part nbr index columns you can see the option codes for some of the wheels that were offered as a square setup and some as a staggered set up. If it mentions “2” in the QTY column…then that wheel will have the option of being part of a staggered set. If the QTY column lists “4”…then that is the wheel used in a square set.

I spoke of the M6 being slightly different because its staggered rear wheels have a different wheel offset than the rear staggered wheels for the regular 2DR & 4DR coupes and verts.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0