05-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
gokudo_90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

6 series( Xdrive vs.active steering)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
when you use the build you own in the web site you can see that u can not add active steering on the Xdrive 6 series does it mean it is already equipped with it? if not, does anybody know which one has better handling and ride comfort( xdrive or active steering )
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
xDrive and IAS cannot be combined, and xDrive does not include IAS.

I have xDrive and adore it. The real reason they don't offer it, I don't know. I assume it has something to do with xDrive using hydraulic steering while the RWD has electric steering. I love my xDrive as I think it handles brilliantly, the turning radius is a non issue for me, and the feedback from hydraulic steering is better than that from electric. The car is big - no getting around that - but I think it has a decent radius given it's size. I'm a big proponent of xDrive. I drove the RWD (not sure if it has IAS, but I don't think so) at the PC, and I prefer xDrive for normal maneuvering.

If I planned on more track driving for fun, then I'd go RWD or M3. For my daily driver, I think xDrive + ARS + DSC keep the scary drama in check while still being lots of fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe

I'm going to be the customary advocate to IAS as I always do with Southern lol.

I will start by saying that the XDrive is an awesome system. However, having an X6 in my stable as well, I didn't need the redundancy and went with the RWD+IAS.

I absolutely love it. Turning, especially in tight spaces, is effortless. It transforms this huge car into a Smart Car lol in small parking lots. You can actually feel the back end of the car swing at slow speeds as you turn. Other than the rear wheel steering offered with IAS, you do not have to turn the wheel as much to make a 90 degree turn. I believe it's like a half turn, whereas in my X6, I have to muscle it and turn the wheel more than a full turn. At high speeds, the IAS also works in the rear wheels to make sharp lane changes feel flatter as the turn in the same direction as the front wheels. The IAS also works in unison with the DSC (as does XDrive) in those sticky situations to help stabilize the car.

My suggestion, drive both of you can. Make sure that the RWD does have the IAS though or you will not feel all the points I just made.

Southern and I will both agree that no matter which you choose, ARS is a must for better handling and flatter cornering.

Quick addition to this post, after owning my RWD w/ IAS for a few months, I test drove an XDrive. It's truly an awesome system. Makes the car have a stiffer feel. However, I almost smashed some guy at a red light as I was turning because I was so used to turning the steering wheel 1/4 - 1/2 for a 90 degree turn instead of a full turn + lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinj6 View Post
It transforms this huge car into a Smart Car lol in small parking lots.
I agree, I've got one
I thought it would be mostly during high speed driving I would appreciate the IAS qualities, because they contribute so much to the (relative) lightfooted handling of the car. But from such a car you sort of expect this to be perfect, which it really is! So it turns out that it is the small everyday manoeuvering in and out of the garage, parking, city/suburban driving that really represents the unexpected added value! I love it.

Last edited by Superspeed; 05-21-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
gokudo_90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

im loving the reviews from people with IAS, since i own an X5 with active steering i sorta know what you're talking about. i think ill go with ordering IAS instead of Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokudo_90
im loving the reviews from people with IAS, since i own an X5 with active steering i sorta know what you're talking about. i think ill go with ordering IAS instead of Xdrive
Also, not sure if you are getting the Driver Assistance Package as well but if you do, you can't get the Parking Assistant with XDrive. I love the Parking Assistant. Other thana perfect parallel park everytime, It even helps you find a spot big enough for your car, on both sides of the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Quote:
when you use the build you own in the web site you can see that u can not add active steering on the Xdrive 6 series does it mean it is already equipped with it? if not, does anybody know which one has better handling and ride comfort( xdrive or active steering )
BMW xdrive has torque vectoring which would make active steering on a xdrive equipped vehicle redundant...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #8
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah
Quote:
BMW xdrive has torque vectoring which would make active steering on a xdrive equipped vehicle redundant...
Ive driven both and still a much different feel.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #9
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinj6
Quote:
Quote:
It would and should feel different they are both doing the same thing but in a different way....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
It's a completely personal decision depending on what's important to you. I like the security, additional feedback from the hydraulic steering, and grippier handling of xDrive. If I were doing some track driving, I'd go RWD because it would be a little more fun as xDrive wouldn't be an electronic nanny p!ssing on all your drifting fun.

This is kinda off topic, but I'd say that if you get IAS you need to make sure you get the DAP. I regret not having the top view camera (about equal to my regret about passing up the B&O), and I think that would be even more important if you're getting IAS for the purpose of tighter maneuverability. The front and back sensors + rear camera are good and are sufficient 95% of the time, but that remaining 5% can result in costly bumper damage if not very careful. I'm overly careful and don't take any risks as visibility sucks on the sides, so it would definitely be worth the extra money to have a view of the car's flanks in tight spots.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would and should feel different they are both doing the same thing but in a different way....
Understood
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would and should feel different they are both doing the same thing but in a different way....
Understood
But just to be clear or more accurate, the xdrive doesn't do anything to change(lessen) the turning radius like the IAS does....
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Understood
But just to be clear or more accurate, the xdrive doesn't do anything to change(lessen) the turning radius like the IAS does....
Of course

I have a RWD with IAS and did an extensive test drive with the XDrive. Both have their attributes and flaws. I happen to love what the IAS does for the cars turn radius especially considering how big the car is/feels. I love the feeling that the car gives when those rear wheels turn. Almost feels like a controlled fish tail.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 745le xdrive 2020, i3 2020

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
That having rear wheel drive with IAS or Xdrive is a difficult choice for many. AIS Acting distinguished and superb driving comfort in city driving. Had AIS on my GT which has a long wheelbase that dear city driving as a 3-series. But I live in Norway with a lot of wet snow and ice roads, there is nothing that beats xDrive. So what you had to pick between the IAS or Xdrive is a lot on where you live and what you like. For me, I always go for the xDrive, due to better traction, acceleration and stability.
Appreciate 0