BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

iPhone Videos on iDrive

Has anyone experienced horizontally stretched videos on the iDrive display? This happens when playing videos stored on my iPhone 4S connected via the media snap-in adapter. Adjusting the TV-Out/Widescreen setting on the iPhone will toggle the aspect ratio but videos always appear stretched each time I start up the car. Any ideas how the widescreen setting can be set permanently?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC

I had no idea you could even watch movies in the iDrive... Is it a must you have the snap in adapter or can you use the USB?

I ask because I have an iPhone 5 and there is no snap in adapter for it at the moment...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
objectdyed
Rep
Drives: F13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa View Post
I ask because I have an iPhone 5 and there is no snap in adapter for it at the moment...
I have also a f13 and a iphone 5 and I dont know how it works! I tried it with the regular iphone usb cable, but I can only play music files
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa
I had no idea you could even watch movies in the iDrive... Is it a must you have the snap in adapter or can you use the USB?

Yes, you will need a media snap-in adapter to play video files from your iPhone 4 or 4S. Alternatively, you can play DVDs on your front console DVD drive or DVD Changer. Look up www.DVDInMotion.com for details.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa

Yes, you will need a media snap-in adapter to play video files from your iPhone 4 or 4S. Alternatively, you can play DVDs on your front console DVD drive or DVD Changer. Look up www.DVDInMotion.com for details.
Thanks Good Sir...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Update: I have given up messing around with the iPhone settings and decided to alter the resolutions of the videos stored on my iPhone from widescreen to anamorphic. That way, the horizontally compressed anamorphic videos will get "corrected" when they are stretched by the iDrive during playback. Hopefully later versions of the iPhone firmware will make this temp workaround unnecessary. For those who are interested, this involves cropping of videos to widescreen (854 x 480) followed by scaling to (640 x 480).
Appreciate 0