BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-05-2019, 01:37 AM   #331
chukd23
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
So, exactly one month later I get the same error and scary as #*%$ trembling feeling throughout the car.

I got out of the car for about 25 minutes around lunchtime today, put it in reverse, rolled back about 3 feet, then all hell broke loose. I got a ding, an engine light, a "drivetrain malfunction" iDrive message, the car switched to neutral, and started vibrating and making a shaky noise. I couldn't change to drive or reverse, so I finally got it in park and killed the engine. I waited a few seconds, restarted it, and it started normally and did fine. I was going to go straight to the dealer, but I called and couldn't get a loaner right away. I had to be back at work in 30 minutes, so I decided to hold off. I'm planning on taking it in tomorrow to see what they say.

The same exact thing happened on January 16th. They attributed it to low power steering fluid, reset the system, and topped it off. No idea if that's what's going on here or if that was a coincidental finding.

This is really getting frustrating. In the last month I've had to bring my car in 3 times with problems! I haven't gotten stranded or anything horrible, so I'm not too irate, but this is getting ridiculous...
Hey i just had the same issue after installing my BM3 tune, took it to the dealership, 4 of the fuel injectors were stuck open. this its a factory defect and is covered for 10 years on the vehicle. Once replaced car runs 100%.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #332
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukd23 View Post
Hey i just had the same issue after installing my BM3 tune, took it to the dealership, 4 of the fuel injectors were stuck open. this its a factory defect and is covered for 10 years on the vehicle. Once replaced car runs 100%.
First time? I remember my first time........

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #333
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep

Angry I'm going back!

Time to go in for DTM #6! Also... time to get rid of it. :/

Fool me once.. shame on me. Fool me 6 times... shame on me more.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:57 AM   #334
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

Just got my first DTM on my 2013 650 with 35Kmi. Turned out to be #3 plug and coil. Only 7 to go. I wanted to get all replaced, but that would have been on my dime vs paid by warranty, so I just wait for the next one
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #335
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
Just got my first DTM on my 2013 650 with 35Kmi. Turned out to be #3 plug and coil. Only 7 to go. I wanted to get all replaced, but that would have been on my dime vs paid by warranty, so I just wait for the next one
What warranty do you have on your 2013?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #336
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by board57796 View Post
What warranty do you have on your 2013?
After my CPO ran out about 18mo ago I bought an extended service agreement through the BMW dealership. Third party Allstate Protection Plan, 3yr/36k mi plan, $4000 and $200 deductible. So I have 18 mo left.

After taking it into the dealer for the DTM, they said they also found a small oil pan gasket leak. The final bill was $3500. I only paid $400 which included the deductible. So I have 18mo to spend another $1000 to break even on buying the plan.

After another 18 mo, then we need to decide what to do the the car. It will have about 40-45K mi on it, which is next to nothing, but it will also be 9yr old. Love the car, perfect shape convertible, but . . .
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #337
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep

Red face DTM... forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
After my CPO ran out about 18mo ago I bought an extended service agreement through the BMW dealership. Third party Allstate Protection Plan, 3yr/36k mi plan, $4000 and $200 deductible. So I have 18 mo left.

After taking it into the dealer for the DTM, they said they also found a small oil pan gasket leak. The final bill was $3500. I only paid $400 which included the deductible. So I have 18mo to spend another $1000 to break even on buying the plan.

After another 18 mo, then we need to decide what to do the the car. It will have about 40-45K mi on it, which is next to nothing, but it will also be 9yr old. Love the car, perfect shape convertible, but . . .
In my experience, you'll be breaking even... Glad we paid for the extended warranty as well. It was a weird one here though... a 650i vert is a rare car in UK, apparently. I picked up mine way back when 2yrs old with 12k miles for a decent deal and the salesperson noted I was "lucky, even if it developed problems.." (?)

Once the DTMs started, they seemed to have knock-on effects on all of the related bits and I was in for 4 injectors, then all 8, then 4 more, then new plugs, then a fuel pump, then vacuum lines...(repeat some of that) the list goes on. (Not DTM related, but the Comfort Access sensors went, Soft-Close Doors needed looked at, and the windows anti-inch sensors have been replaced a few times.. some window seals as well.)... So, I think the warranty was worth it; ymmv.

But, in UK we are screwed by BMW not honouring the Customer Care Package (CCP) for the N63 engine. Back home in Freedomland, you should be able to get the CCP I would think: So, as I understand it, in The States they'll fix all of the issues at once and you're not going back over and over - as the partial fixes just pass the stress to other parts of the system... and then they fail... all resulting in DTMs.

My Service Adviser has rocks in his head, so I'm sure I won't know anything until after I chase for an update sometime next week. Good luck with yours!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 03:50 AM   #338
DXfan01
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Ketchup View Post
In my experience, you'll be breaking even... Glad we paid for the extended warranty as well. It was a weird one here though... a 650i vert is a rare car in UK, apparently. I picked up mine way back when 2yrs old with 12k miles for a decent deal and the salesperson noted I was "lucky, even if it developed problems.." (?)

Once the DTMs started, they seemed to have knock-on effects on all of the related bits and I was in for 4 injectors, then all 8, then 4 more, then new plugs, then a fuel pump, then vacuum lines...(repeat some of that) the list goes on. (Not DTM related, but the Comfort Access sensors went, Soft-Close Doors needed looked at, and the windows anti-inch sensors have been replaced a few times.. some window seals as well.)... So, I think the warranty was worth it; ymmv.

But, in UK we are screwed by BMW not honouring the Customer Care Package (CCP) for the N63 engine. Back home in Freedomland, you should be able to get the CCP I would think: So, as I understand it, in The States they'll fix all of the issues at once and you're not going back over and over - as the partial fixes just pass the stress to other parts of the system... and then they fail... all resulting in DTMs.

My Service Adviser has rocks in his head, so I'm sure I won't know anything until after I chase for an update sometime next week. Good luck with yours!
My engine blew and I wasn’t able to get the CCP , but seeing as I haven’t had the car that long I just let them dick me around I guess, and just decided to go with the Extended Warranty I have through Mercury Insurance, and they covered it and replaced my whole engine. Definitely a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #339
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep

Angry Update! :(

Just to share an update... Dealer had it for 8days and I picked it up end of last week. I drove it 3 times: once maybe a mile or so to Costco & back; another gentle trip around central London, and then a 12mile trek today to a cycle shop.... and BOOM. Another DTM! :/

It had to be take away on a flatbed. Again.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #340
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep

Unhappy Hi, Welcome to BMW. Would you like fires with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Ketchup View Post
Just to share an update... Dealer had it for 8days and I picked it up end of last week. I drove it 3 times: once maybe a mile or so to Costco & back; another gentle trip around central London, and then a 12mile trek today to a cycle shop.... and BOOM. Another DTM! :/

It had to be take away on a flatbed. Again.
Just an update to add... It's been 4 days since the 650i went away on a flatbed. The morning after, I was assured that it was delivered to the dealership; however, around 1430 I was contacted by them as they hadn't received the car and couldn't find it/get any updates from the recovery company. At that point, I was nearly hoping that it was chopped-up or on a barge to Somalia or something... but, alas, they called me back just before closing to let me know "we found your car". Oh.. great! :/
I was promised an update by EOB today... nada.. of course.

I was issued a 69-plate 530e PHEV to drive as a loaner.. pretty decent spec, though clearly the opposite of an F12 650i in so many ways - all of the fun ways especially. It's my first time with any sort of PHEV... interesting concept, but not for me yet. A PHEV X7 would be a perfect daily car for the wife though... if such a thing exists.
Appreciate 0