BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forums > BMW 6-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Talk

06-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #177
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

I feel sorry for engineers and so called designers that had to work on this thing. Maybe they were demoted.
Appreciate 3
      06-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #178
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
To replace the 6GC with an 8GC would be another marketing blunder IMO because it would devalue the 8 series badge by invariably aligning it with lesser rivals such as the A7 and CLS. But hey we can learn from the 6 GranTurd that BMW couldn't give less of a crap about the 6 series' brand identity and positioning so why should we expect any different for the 8 series..
Appreciate 2
Law6381.00
Brake_Late1937.50
      06-15-2017, 09:45 PM   #179
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

April Fool's Joke in the month of June
      06-15-2017, 11:45 PM   #180
Makiedog
Rep
Drives: 535i xdrive GT

8 pages of the same old tiring rant. Don't you guys get it? You are simply Not the target audience for this car! The 5 GT has been in existence since 2009 without undergoing major changes. That means there's a viable market for it, there are enough people in this world who appreciate it for BMW to continue with the 6.

I for one enjoy living in a world where aesthetic standards are fortunately not dictated by conformists. Choice is a great thing.
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1937.50
      06-16-2017, 03:52 AM   #181
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

So hucking fideous.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 06:10 AM   #182
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makiedog View Post
8 pages of the same old tiring rant. Don't you guys get it? You are simply Not the target audience for this car! The 5 GT has been in existence since 2009 without undergoing major changes. That means there's a viable market for it, there are enough people in this world who appreciate it for BMW to continue with the 6.

I for one enjoy living in a world where aesthetic standards are fortunately not dictated by conformists. Choice is a great thing.
I agree. There must be a market for it if they are releasing it. Not everything in the line up has to be to your liking. Personally, not my cup of tea but if you like it then nobody should judge you for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #183
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

The 5GT was based more so off the F01 7 Series, sharing the same wheelbase and similar dimensions, as well as a few other features. I always thought the car to be a 7er fastback. However, the "geniuses" at BMW thought it would be a good idea to raise the thing a few inches higher and swell up the fenders a bit, to give a more "commanding view" of the road. That is where BMW went very wrong. I know there are going to be a few people who say "Oh I like it" and what not. Should've bought an X5 then, this isn't a truck. Another problem is the frumpy rear. BMW tried to line up the rear trunk line with the front hood line, but instead should've sloped the roofline towards the body line/crease. It would've made the car look a lot better IMHO.

Despite its flaws, there are a few things I like about the 5GT. The roofline is sleeker than the conventional 5/7, which makes it unique. The 7 Series roominess and features make the car feel more premium than the regular F10 5er.

This is what I think about the new G32 6 Series GT:
Pros:
- Rear end is sleeker, roofline flows into body lines as opposed to lining up with the hood lines
- Windshield is a bit smaller
- Roof is flatter, less "bubbled" up
- The air breather doesn't look too bad, better than the recycled sidemarker present on the F07 LCI

Cons:
- Why the hell is it a 6 now? That make ZERO sense.
- Gone are the body creases, now the body lines are reminiscent of the Audi A/S/RS7, but done worse, still looks bloated
- Still slightly taller than its 5/7 counterparts, albeit a bit less now
- Not a huge fan of the front, too similar to the G30
- Who decided to debut the car in white? Dark colors suit the GT way more.
- Only comes with a I6 now, although a V8 variant will hopefully be released later on

I'm disappointed in BMW with the release of this new GT. For people who are thinking where is the new 5GT, the 6GT is it. I think fewer people would've been upset had it remained a 5 Series. I don't think the new GT is a bad looking car, but it's still worse than what it could've been. BMW, listen to someone who owns a GT next time maybe?

TL;DR - The 5GT has potential. I modified mine to help bring the most out of it; many people seem to like it. BMW had one shot to make the GT better with the new G32. They still screwed it up.

Last edited by TheBlackGT; 06-16-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #184
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

That's one ugly car.
I'm convinced the only sales are to west coast men whose ultra feminist wives seek only to castrate them in all aspects of their lives.
Appreciate 5
      06-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #185
Laserdude
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jet black e93 335

How can they justify creating this but not bringing the wagon back to the US? I think most people would rather have the wagon including me, I assume it would far outsell this it's better looking AND more practical
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #186
AMB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3CS|05 E46XiT|18 Model 3

Does anyone know of a Chrome Extension that will hide all references to this "6 Series" GT atrocity across the entirely of the internet? Bonus to include the 3er and 5er GT variants as well.

'05 M3 CS | Silver Grey | M Cloth
OEM CSL Front - Rear - CF Roof | Dinan S2 Performance Pack | 19" RAC Monolite RG4s
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #187
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserdude View Post
How can they justify creating this but not bringing the wagon back to the US? I think most people would rather have the wagon including me, I assume it would far outsell this it's better looking AND more practical
Agreed. I see way more E61 5 wagons than F07 5 GT's around the Bay Area. Both have had the same amount of model years, so you can't blame it on the E61 being around for longer.

The F31 3 wagons seem more plentiful around here than F34 3 GTs too.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #188
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Agree and disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The US remains in focus but one of the issues the US market is facing along with preemptive motions already put in place is the general customer demographic changing within every segment to the SUV/Crossover. And this is not just limited to BMW.
The newest model there is the X1. Every other X model is due to be phased out within the year.
The new X3 will certainly reignite interest as will the X2 and the X7 but there is also a new X5 due next year.
However in other markets we also see this trend in which traditional segments are being slowly eroded by SUVs.

The 5er Gran Turismo found its niche by doing something completely extraordinary.
It tapped into a mindset where the customer was not interested in following the zeitgeist of the SUV March.
The 5er Gran Turismo is a concept designed from the inside out and it shows. Because a new type of customer found solace in how it was still a premium vehicle but took a different direction to luxury,flexibility and user ability. We have a dedicated forum here for the F07. And some people need to educate themselves on why there are people who like the car.
It's driving position was applauded especially by female customers who found that semi- command position provided the best view for them.
My wife has a GT and she loves it.
As for the twin boot lid it was necessary to make it redundant as it was something we don't intend to use. Using the full hatch was more accessible.
The new 6er Gran Turismo embodies the best of the F07 but addresses its short comings in particular it's bulkier visual elements. In particular I don't think a vehicle like the GT needs an M Sport Packet. The F07 did not need one and always looked like an appendage. The standard line always struck well the balance between sport and luxury.

The 6er GT does not replace the 6er Gran Coupe. The Gran Coupe will now be an 8er. As for the reason? There is a strategy behind it. It does not make sense in the shorter term I agree.
But BMW obviously feel the time is right to reinvent an 8er to coincide with BMWs further investigation into the luxury market to bridge BMW to Rolls-Royce.
I have nothing to oppose your rationale or conceptual thinking. There we agree however where we disagree is on the execution.

The GT was and is a great idea in concept and I would have been first in line to buy one were it not for the fact that BMW continues to insist on bringing it to market with what customers and insiders overwhelmingly agree is a poor design.

Surely, there is enough talent out there in the design team to put together an exterior line that still retains the brilliant packaging it so deserves.

While we are on the subject of design, the 8 looks very promising and I for one am excited about its potential in sales and as an owner but it will also mean that we leave a gapping hole in our product range where our key competitors have offerings that attract potential customers to our cherished dynamic brand.

The 6 nameplate deserves a true successor to the original dynamic sporty 3.0 CS/CSL and M635i and the GT is sadly not the car we have been long awaiting.

I hope BMW owns up to its heritage and concept cars and actually gives it a real shot.
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd6014.50
      06-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #189
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
I love the look of this car... Design is subjective guys...

Dont like it, dont look at it and dont buy it.
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1937.50
      06-19-2017, 03:36 AM   #190
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

God I had to scroll forever in the first thread just to see what the launch is about.

When will BMW cut the bla bla talk and allow the images to speak only, just throw a link for more details, geez

Talking more with weird wordings wont make the car better you know
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 05:32 AM   #191
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
I think they axed the 5GT. I really don't know why BMW thought making it just as fat and adding +1 would make it better.
It does seem really strange.

I mean, traditionally the 6 series was the 2-door version of the 5 series, making it the sportive side of the traditional sedan.

Now I can somehow understand they name the Gran Coupé a 6 series because it does look somewhat coupé like.

But this one? They take the 5 series GT, update it with the new 5 series platform and now call it 6 series GT. WTF? Lots of marketing bla-bla does not make it anything resembling an elegant sports coupé.

My thoughts are that they somehow want to hide the fact that they bury the 6 series altogether due to the now-hyped 8 series. Meaning that the new denomination of the 5 Series GT is just a marketing fig leaf.
      06-19-2017, 05:42 AM   #192
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
I hope BMW owns up to its heritage and actually gives it a real shot.
BMW doesn't give a flying s*** about their heritage. They churn out one bloated SUV/crossover car after the other and do not have a single real sports car in their portfolio. Now replacing the 6 series which to begin with was a 2-ton car with something even larger makes sense in that weird logic. Certainly not if you want to continue pretending your brand is actually focused on the joy of driving and making cars aimed at a sportier clientele.

With a brand like this, how can you not have something to rival the Audi R8, AMG SLS/GT or get into Porsche territory? Seriously, if even brands like Honda, Nissan and Ford have their halo sports cars, it is entirely beyond me how a brand like BMW can miss out on all those segments. And I'm not even talking about hypercars like the new AMG Project One - somehow other brands seem to have the funds and willpower to see these through.

And BMW? Focuses on eletrical armchairs like the i3, sells the i8 as if it was a sportscar and pretends "M" has anything to do with motorsports whereas it has for the most part degenerated into a marketing tool to option up mass-produced every day cars.

Quite a pity, really.
Remonster824.00
6ixSpd6014.50
JTO245274.50
      06-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #193
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Everything you need to know overview video:

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #194
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Finally an updated AC control unit. Overall it looks pretty similar to the F11 (5 Series GT)
Seriously looks so much like mine
Seems senseless to make a 6GT
Attached Images

BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #195
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Everything you need to know overview video:

" The surfaces of the side play with light and shadow, and give the car a suit but muscular look... "

I'm really starting to enjoy these BMW press releases and official videos in a good way.

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Appreciate 3
      06-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #196
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

I like it. I still disagree with rebadging it as a 6GT, but at least it looks much better than the 5GT did. Had it been up to me I'd have called it a 5GT again (or just retired the GT nomenclature entirely to get the taste out of peoples mouths and called it the 6GC replacement), but oh well. Either way, despite all the internet hate it looks a lot like an A7, which I think people would actually see if not for the blinding hatred for any BMW with GT in the name coupled with their lust for the (admittedly gorgeous but much more expensive and less practical) 6GC. And unlike the outgoing 6GC it's also priced like an A7, offers similar practicality to an A7, and posts similar performance numbers to an A7. And whether we want to admit it or not, people like A7's, it's generally considered the bellcow of the segment. Here is a review of the A7 3.0T Competition along with photos of one in white, so it can be compared pretty easily to the white 640GT M Sport in the video/photos.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...-drive-review/

So, other than the naming, I think BMW got this one right. Whether or not the naming gets in the way of it being successful, we'll see. Hopefully not.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #197
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Im done
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #198
kbNO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 40e

I really can't understand all the hate in this thread. The 6 GT looks great IMHO. And for those of you who prefer a sedan - just buy a sedan and be happy.
Appreciate 2