BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-12-2017, 02:36 AM   #1
Intotheblue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Coupe

New owner,software updates?

Hi all, I just got a 2014 650i (early build). I'd like to go to a dealer and get all the software/firmware updated. Are there any particular service bulletins, etc I should be asking about? Is there a more recent iDrive version?

My ambient light strips are really dim and I read in a post that a new version of software has fixed it (I know there's an option for this in coding as well) Is there was anything particular I should say to the dealer to have them update everything? I'm sure they don't want to do extra work without being specifically asked about something.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #2
Duff Ace
Adam
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lusso, GT3, 360, Vaquish, bike

Garage List
I would be interested in responses as I also just picked up a 2014 GC
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

You can turn the ambient light up with the dial underneath the light switch. Then change the brightness of clocks and HUD under the idrive.

You can download software updates from bmw.com and apply yourself by adding to usb stick and pressing the upgrade option on the idrive. This won't upgrade the idrive version though. If you've got NBT EVO head unit (check on nav slide right and select about nav), then you can get that upgraded to idrive 5 but you'll need an emulator. I've only got NBT and EVO units are going for too much in eBay just to have a newer look idrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Intotheblue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisdog View Post
You can turn the ambient light up with the dial underneath the light switch. Then change the brightness of clocks and HUD under the idrive.

You can download software updates from bmw.com and apply yourself by adding to usb stick and pressing the upgrade option on the idrive. This won't upgrade the idrive version though. If you've got NBT EVO head unit (check on nav slide right and select about nav), then you can get that upgraded to idrive 5 but you'll need an emulator. I've only got NBT and EVO units are going for too much in eBay just to have a newer look idrive.
I already have all the lighting turned up, I'm getting the Bimmercode app and the dongle will arrive Tuesday so I'll see if I can fix it through coding (hoping the stored setting isn't already at 100%)

I already tried the update from the BMW website with no luck, I'll reformat my USB drive and try again another time.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

There are some posts about the centre console USB being a bit sensitive for software updates. From what I've read it looks like most people succeed with 32GB USB2 pen drives.
Appreciate 0