BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
lfc3153
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Upgrading 2012 M6 to Competition Package

I want to upgrade my '12 M6 to the CP spec. Has anyone done this? What is entailed? I am not interested in the exhaust or wheels, just the suspension and steering mods. I am not really fussed about the power upgrade as these cars seem to have much more power than 560 or 575hp. Help appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

You can buy the front and rear anti roll bars as well as replace the steering assembly bushings. You can also buy the springs if you wish or buy aftermarket ones or do KWV3'S coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc3153 View Post
I want to upgrade my '12 M6 to the CP spec. Has anyone done this? What is entailed? I am not interested in the exhaust or wheels, just the suspension and steering mods. I am not really fussed about the power upgrade as these cars seem to have much more power than 560 or 575hp. Help appreciated!
Mine has the CP, and the biggest difference it makes is in the steering. Definitely a huge upgrade. However, during the international media launch of the 4 Series in Portugal, the people at BMW M addressed this retrofit question. They stated there is still no official plan to offer retrofits for the ZCP on the M5/M6, so owners would have to source each part out from their dealers individually, and the steering and software side would be the hardest (this would have seemed as the easiest to me but...). The suspension seems to be easier but that still means swapping the shocks, springs, sway bars, bushings, etc. Sadly the simplest part of the ZCP is the part you're not interested in, the exhaust. It's the same as the stock, except for the mufflers which have no baffles for the ZCP version, and the black tips of course. Unfortunately the true magic of the ZCP relies heavily on the software, which like I stated before is tricky to retrofit for some reason I don't understand. Without the software the steering modification would be incomplete. The increase in power also comes from the software as it is all a product of boost mapping. My recommendation would be to contact your dealer and have them look into it. Have them quote you on all the parts from the ZCP (I have the part list as we'll if you need it), and also have them contact BMW to inquire about the software.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

It's not just software and bushings thats different with the CP steering rack - the whole rack is different. Comparing pre and post CP back to back, it is noticeably quicker.

Therefore, it's surely cheaper (and easier) to sell up and buy a Competition Pack if thats what you want?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
It's not just software and bushings thats different with the CP steering rack - the whole rack is different. Comparing pre and post CP back to back, it is noticeably quicker.

Therefore, it's surely cheaper (and easier) to sell up and buy a Competition Pack if thats what you want?
Yeah that's right, I didn't mention all of the parts, but even if he did get the rack and every other part from the Package he would still need the software and for some reason that seems like the hardest to do right now, according to BMW. In the end, you may be on to something, the simplest thing for the OP may just be to trade-in his current car for one with the Competition Package. That's if the Competition Package is truly a must for you, otherwise I would just stay put.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
lfc3153
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies chaps, I may well take you up on the part numbers Twitch. The problem with selling and buying new is the huge cost considering I want three quarters of a £7k package! I guess also the addition of carbon brakes (I have a price for that)would make quite a difference to the steering, being unsprung weight. I have considered the KWv3 option, I am just worried that may be a little too harsh. Keep the input coming!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the replies chaps, I may well take you up on the part numbers Twitch. The problem with selling and buying new is the huge cost considering I want three quarters of a £7k package! I guess also the addition of carbon brakes (I have a price for that)would make quite a difference to the steering, being unsprung weight. I have considered the KWv3 option, I am just worried that may be a little too harsh. Keep the input coming!
Here's my source for the part numbers, just specify your vehicle model, manufacture date, and region:
http://www.realoem.com

Be advised that you'll have to go into each category individually and find each of the parts listed under "Vehicles with Competition Pacagkage".

To give you an example here are the main parts you'll need for the steering and suspension:

No. , Description , Qty , Part Number
01, Rmfd hydro steering gear, 1 , 32102284868
01, LEFT FRONT SPRING STRUT, 1, 31317850115
06, FRONT COIL SPRING, 2, 31337850123
01, Stabilizer front with rubber mounting, 1, 31357850119
01, Stabilizer rear, 1, 33557850120
01, Spring strut rear, 2, 33527850118
03, REAR COIL SPRING, 2, 33537850127
05, Auxiliary damper rear with guard tube, 2, 33537847473

I actually think that's mostly it in terms of steering and suspension (excluding software), but I'd advise you go through each section yourself to make sure I didn't miss anything. Cheers.
Coming Soon:

Last edited by Twitch Massacre; 02-11-2014 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
lfc3153
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers Twitch
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
I have considered the KWv3 option, I am just worried that may be a little too harsh. Keep the input coming!
I fitted KWV3's to a previous C63 (because whilst the car was all about it's great engine, it's suspension was a weak point). They were fantastic, and not at all harsh if you set them up properly. They transformed the Merc and probably endowed it with the best body control of any car I've had.

Only problem with fitting KW's on the M6 is you'd lose all the the 'benefits' of having an electronically adaptive set-up as the only way to adjust the KW's is to get under the car with a hex key! Somewhat challenging when driving down the motorway.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 04:48 AM   #10
acracr
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I am about to order a M6 GC for june delivery. I am unsure about the competition Package. Some reviews say that the GC has a different Set up than the coupe and the question is whether it will benefit from the Package as well. Has anyone driven the GC with Standard and cp Set up? In one week my Dealer will arange a Test Drive in an m5 with cp. Unfortunately they do Not have a GC right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
lfc3153
Private First Class
Rep

The KWv3 set up costs £2400 ish in the UK so is a good way of getting a drop as well as setting the suspension stiffness to how you want it with some fiddling. I have KWv3 on a couple of my other cars and I find them good for purpose. I don't use the different suspension settings on the M6, sport is fine and as has been said combined with the CP sway bars this should make the car handle very well.

acracr - I have driven my 2012 M6 and also a brand new CP M5. The M5 felt better at medium speeds . At faster speeds I could not really tell the difference but at lower speeds on tight bends the M5 felt a bit of a lump. I have not driven either on track.

Last edited by lfc3153; 02-14-2014 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Spelling!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
KSAF
Speed Demon
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by acracr View Post
I am about to order a M6 GC for june delivery. I am unsure about the competition Package. Some reviews say that the GC has a different Set up than the coupe and the question is whether it will benefit from the Package as well. Has anyone driven the GC with Standard and cp Set up? In one week my Dealer will arange a Test Drive in an m5 with cp. Unfortunately they do Not have a GC right now.
I have an M6 GC with CP and I have driven one without CP. There is a noticeable deference between the two. My car with the CP feels more responsive and more fun to drive. It handles and drives better and you get allot of feedback from the steering wheel. I feel more connected with the car. The ride quality is really good as well. I thought it would be stiffer than what it is. The M6 GC in general has a more refined ride than the Coupe and the M5. Maybe that's why it's not that stiff. IMHO all M cars should be standard like this!
      02-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
acracr
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSAF
Quote:
I have an M6 GC with CP and I have driven one without CP. There is a noticeable deference between the two. My car with the CP feels more responsive and more fun to drive. It handles and drives better and you get allot of feedback from the steering wheel. I feel more connected with the car. The ride quality is really good as well. I thought it would be stiffer than what it is. The M6 GC in general has a more refined ride than the Coupe and the M5. Maybe that's why it's not that stiff. IMHO all M cars should be standard like this!
Many thanks! Your experience is very helpful. I will let you guys know when I have driven the m5 cp next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acracr
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSAF
Quote:
Many thanks! Your experience is very helpful. I will let you guys know when I have driven the m5 cp next weekend.
I haven't driven a GC without the CP, but I own a Coupe with the CP and have driven one without it. Without the CP the steering feels a bit weighty and disconnected at times. The weighty steering is specially noticeable in the Sport settings, there is also slightly more body roll without the CP. I'd say it's highly recommended you go with the CP.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #15
KSAF
Speed Demon
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
You're welcome. Just bear in mind that the M6 GC with CP has a more comfortable suspension setup than an M5 with CP!