BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-16-2023, 06:19 AM   #1
BillyMillin
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe

Question Driver Restraint System Fault

So, after replacing the springs that snapped thanks to potholes I need to fix the driver restraint system fault its started throwing. Scanner says its a short or disconnection to the airbag control module under the driver's seat. Has anyone taken the front seat out of their 6? There's not enough space to get at the module even with the seat raised as far as it can go. Also, if I need to buy a replacement control module, does it need to be coded to the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 08:04 AM   #2
kamilo94
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d Gran Coupe F06

Hi Billy,

I have the same error in my 2013 640d GC and been told that its likely a wiring issue. I was going to take it my mechanic to get the wire changed but havent had time yet. There is an open recall right now for the driver airbag and I am booked in to have it fixed in May so might get BMW to have a look at this as well. I tried using bimmercode to reset the error but it comes back after a couple miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 09:08 AM   #3
BillyMillin
Rep

Thanks for the reply, what year is your 640d? As far as I know I have a recall outstanding for the EGR valve but can't find anything about the airbag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilo94 View Post
Hi Billy,

I have the same error in my 2013 640d GC and been told that its likely a wiring issue. I was going to take it my mechanic to get the wire changed but havent had time yet. There is an open recall right now for the driver airbag and I am booked in to have it fixed in May so might get BMW to have a look at this as well. I tried using bimmercode to reset the error but it comes back after a couple miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 09:17 AM   #4
BillyMillin
Rep

You've got a 2013, I didn't see that in your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMillin View Post
Thanks for the reply, what year is your 640d? As far as I know I have a recall outstanding for the EGR valve but can't find anything about the airbag.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 09:29 AM   #5
kamilo94
Rep

Yeah its a 63 plate. I had the EGR done last year and got a letter from BMW last week about the airbag. Its booked in for 1st of May at BMW Hillington.

Check this website if yours is also affected: https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/footer/quic...e-recalls.html
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 09:34 AM   #6
BillyMillin
Rep

Yeah I got the letter about the EGR but can't find anything about the airbag. Not sure if the airbag is recallable, its MOT expired because it took so long for the replacement springs to arrive. Hoping it doesn't take until May for them to sort the airbag if it is covered by the recall.

Quote:
Yeah its a 63 plate. I had the EGR done last year and got a letter from BMW last week about the airbag. Its booked in for 1st of May at BMW Hillington.

Check this website if yours is also affected: https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/footer/quic...e-recalls.html
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 08:32 AM   #7
scubachris
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw f13 640d

hi.
my last 640d leaked water through the yellow grommet and i had to take the passenger front seat out.
removing the drivers seat is same as passenger seat.
first move seat fully forward,then unclip the covers on the end of the seat runners,these are tricky to remove and if you break a locating tag off they wont stay on.they are approx £5 each too.
when you get rear runner covers off make a note they are different and then remove the torx bolts that hold the runners to the floor.
then slide the seat fully backwards and remove the runner covers,again they are different,then remove the torx bolts.
lift up the seat at the front a bit and remove the wiring harness clips that hold the harness to the bottom of the seat..do not unplug this harness ! there is only one wiring connector..
when you get the harness clips off there will be enough free play to tilt the backrest as if someone was getting in the back,then manually tip the seat backwards..you noe have full access to all the seat modules..this should take 10 minits.
if you do unplug the wiring conector you will have air bag fault codes come up.
if you are ok with that then you can take the seat out of the car if you wish.be aware the seat is VERY heavy.
when re installing the seat be carefull clipping the runner end caps back on.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 08:15 AM   #8
BillyMillin
Rep

I've just been out at the car again. I removed the driver's seat disconnected and removed the module, no signs of water or damage to the wires, opened the module, no obvious signs of corrosion/damage. I put it all back together, cleared the codes and took it round the block. The error came back within 2 minutes. I did notice 2 modules under the seat, a larger grey/white module with 6 connections, and a darker grey smaller one with one large connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachris View Post
hi.
my last 640d leaked water through the yellow grommet and i had to take the passenger front seat out.
first move seat fully forward,then unclip the covers on the end of the seat runners,these are tricky to remove and if you break a locating tag off they wont stay on.they are approx £5 each too.
when you get rear runner covers off make a note they are different and then remove the torx bolts that hold the runners to the floor.
then slide the seat fully backwards and remove the runner covers,again they are different,then remove the torx bolts.
lift up the seat at the front a bit and remove the wiring harness clips that hold the harness to the bottom of the seat..do not unplug this harness ! there is only one wiring connector..
when you get the harness clips off there will be enough free play to tilt the backrest as if someone was getting in the back,then manually tip the seat backwards..you noe have full access to all the seat modules..this should take 10 minits.
if you are ok with that then you can take the seat out of the car if you wish.be aware the seat is VERY heavy.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 08:25 AM   #9
BillyMillin
Rep

Just saw this online. The car has been sitting for about 3 weeks now, its been giving low battery warnings when I've been out working on it. Could a dying battery be causing the problem?
https://www.youcanic.com/bmw-restrai...m-malfunction/

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachris View Post
hi.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 03:15 PM   #10
kamilo94
Rep

Quote:
Just saw this online. The car has been sitting for about 3 weeks now, its been giving low battery warnings when I've been out working on it. Could a dying battery be causing the problem?
https://www.youcanic.com/bmw-restrai...m-malfunction/
Do you have a dashcam fitted? This could be giving the battery warning as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 03:57 AM   #11
BillyMillin
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a dashcam fitted? This could be giving the battery warning as well.
Yeah I thought of that last night haha, I disconnected it last night. I'm taking the steering wheel and airbag out to check the wiring tonight.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 05:23 AM   #12
kamilo94
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I thought of that last night haha, I disconnected it last night. I'm taking the steering wheel and airbag out to check the wiring tonight.
I've got my dashcam hardwired and sometimes if it doesn't go into parking mode then I would get the battery drain error.

Let us know how you get on with the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 05:26 AM   #13
BillyMillin
Rep

Quote:

Let us know how you get on with the steering wheel.
Will do as long as the airbag doesn't blow me hands off!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 06:00 AM   #14
kamilo94
Rep

Quote:
Disconnect the battery first if you're working on an airbag mate.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 06:22 AM   #15
BillyMillin
Rep

Quote:
Disconnect the battery first if you're working on an airbag mate.
100%, I'm not messing with the small bomb!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 01:15 PM   #16
BillyMillin
Rep

Quote:
Update: I didn't blow my hands off. Took the airbag out, checked the connectors, everything looked fine. Blew on everything just in case. Put it back together, cleared the codes and ran the scan and now its saying there's a short in the airbag module behind the glovebox. Thats a tomorrow job.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 04:39 AM   #17
kamilo94
Rep

Quote:
Update: I didn't blow my hands off. Took the airbag out, checked the connectors, everything looked fine. Blew on everything just in case. Put it back together, cleared the codes and ran the scan and now its saying there's a short in the airbag module behind the glovebox. Thats a tomorrow job.
Whats the code you're getting? I wonder if its the same as mine. I get error code 930958 on bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 01:25 PM   #18
BillyMillin
Rep

Quote:
Whats the code you're getting? I wonder if its the same as mine. I get error code 930958 on bimmercode.
Thats the code I'm getting. I've tracked it down to the active head restraint, the ground wire is shorting against something. Problem is I can't figure out how to open the seat up to get at the wiring inside. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 01:40 PM   #19
BillyMillin
Rep

Quote:
If its any help I found this video of this guy working on his front seats. It kind of shows how the back of the seat comes off and the wiring for the headrest active restraint. Its not great but its the best I've found so far:
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 08:32 AM   #20
kamilo94
Rep

Quote:
Thats the code I'm getting. I've tracked it down to the active head restraint, the ground wire is shorting against something. Problem is I can't figure out how to open the seat up to get at the wiring inside. Any ideas?
You need to take the seat out to get to it i think. I tried getting to it with the seat still in the car but you cant take off the plastic at the side because of the centre console.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 11:12 AM   #21
BillyMillin
Rep

Quote:
You need to take the seat out to get to it i think. I tried getting to it with the seat still in the car but you cant take off the plastic at the side because of the centre console.
I figured it out. Gently prise the plastic away from the seat, once the clips are undone, lift the seat back and up (I was sitting in the back seat) and it'll come out. The leather backing is clipped to the seat frame, undo those clips and you can get at the wiring in the back of the seat. I found a short on the plug for the headrest restraint, I'll fix that and that should be it. Might even just put in a bypass like in the video above and that should do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 01:21 PM   #22
kamilo94
Rep

Quote:
I figured it out. Gently prise the plastic away from the seat, once the clips are undone, lift the seat back and up (I was sitting in the back seat) and it'll come out. The leather backing is clipped to the seat frame, undo those clips and you can get at the wiring in the back of the seat. I found a short on the plug for the headrest restraint, I'll fix that and that should be it. Might even just put in a bypass like in the video above and that should do it.
Nice one! Can you send me picture of where the short is and how you fixed it when you do? I might try it myself
Appreciate 0