BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-17-2023, 09:22 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Repairs

So it begins!

Valve cover & gasket replace - $1100.00
Motor Mounts - $700.00

Also been advised that transmission mounts will come due in a couple months, that'll be another $350.00 or so.

I did not buy an extended warranty for $6,000.00. So far my repairs have cost about $2K. I plan on keeping the car until summer 2024 - about 16 more months. She's a 2016 640 with 64.5K.

Hopefully it won't cost me more than the warranty would have...

Or perhaps I should duck out now.

I am fairly sure that my next car will be an M5 Competition. I do love the M850i, the B8 even more, but I am a little tired of not knowing where in the hell these cars end! The hoods go on forever. Like an Infiniti pool, which is cool, but causes me stress.

I am much more comfortable in the 5. I can always tell where the front an back end - end, as it were.

Anyhow. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 09:55 AM   #2
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

I don't buy extended warranties either. The odds are in your favor.
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      04-17-2023, 10:50 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

The oddest sentence in that post is that you've been advised your transmission mounts will come due in another couple months. Transmission mounts do not "come due." You replace them if they are bad. And if they are not bad now, no mechanic on earth can tell they will be bad in a couple months. If you were literally told that, that is the sort of thing that TV news stations put on the air when doing an undercover expose about mechanics ripping off young, single women.

Last edited by Opie55; 04-17-2023 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

In 2020, Motorwerks BMW in Barrington IL told me that I needed $15K in repairs urgently. I took it to an independent shop that basically told me that they were full of crap and that they tell everyone that they need work that they don't need. Essentially, if a part is not in new condition, they say it needs to be replaced.

3 years later and 40K miles later, still haven't needed to repair/replace those parts that the BMW stealership claimed were needed.
Appreciate 2
Frupal791.50
      04-17-2023, 09:38 PM   #5
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Source the OEM valve cover yourself and see if it helps. Is this a dealer?

And what’s wrong with motor mounts? Are YOU experiencing issues, or is this shop hungry?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 07:51 AM   #6
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
The oddest sentence in that post is that you've been advised your transmission mounts will come due in another couple months. Transmission mounts do not "come due." You replace them if they are bad. And if they are not bad now, no mechanic on earth can tell they will be bad in a couple months. If you were literally told that, that is the sort of thing that TV news stations put on the air when doing an undercover expose about mechanics ripping off young, single women.
Lol! Thanks for that.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 07:52 AM   #7
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Source the OEM valve cover yourself and see if it helps. Is this a dealer?

And what’s wrong with motor mounts? Are YOU experiencing issues, or is this shop hungry?
I noticed a big difference after the motor mounts were replaced. Whole car feels better, tighter. Had the same experience with a 2005 E46 after motor mounts were replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 04:13 PM   #8
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
In 2020, Motorwerks BMW in Barrington IL told me that I needed $15K in repairs urgently. I took it to an independent shop that basically told me that they were full of crap and that they tell everyone that they need work that they don't need. Essentially, if a part is not in new condition, they say it needs to be replaced.

3 years later and 40K miles later, still haven't needed to repair/replace those parts that the BMW stealership claimed were needed.
They love to use scare tactics. Most of the time they can’t diagnose the issue correctly anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 11:31 PM   #9
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
They love to use scare tactics. Most of the time they can’t diagnose the issue correctly anyway.
Correct. I actually think they create issues or problems so they can fix them. I went to that dealership for a simple fluid refill and they came back to me with $15K in urgent repairs! I haven't gone there since. I simply do not trust them anymore.

This is also why I do NOT think people should sign up for the $199 or $225/3 year unlimited oil change. This is offered on "older" cars. I am positive that this is a way to lure you to the dealership with a loss-leader service so they can find or create thousands of dollars in "necessary and urgent" repairs.

Plus, the oil they use is the wrong weight, which is why we see so many engine failures, oil gasket leaks, etc. It's like they purposefully did that so we would have to pony up a bunch of money right when the warranty period ended.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2023, 08:03 AM   #10
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct. I actually think they create issues or problems so they can fix them. I went to that dealership for a simple fluid refill and they came back to me with $15K in urgent repairs! I haven't gone there since. I simply do not trust them anymore.

This is also why I do NOT think people should sign up for the $199 or $225/3 year unlimited oil change. This is offered on "older" cars. I am positive that this is a way to lure you to the dealership with a loss-leader service so they can find or create thousands of dollars in "necessary and urgent" repairs.

Plus, the oil they use is the wrong weight, which is why we see so many engine failures, oil gasket leaks, etc. It's like they purposefully did that so we would have to pony up a bunch of money right when the warranty period ended.
100% agree!!!

I used to go for the valve service oil changes, mainly because of weekend appointments, but I stopped and stick to Indy.

It’s always something mysterious with my visits. Last time my battery magically died. And every time I have had work there, it is usually sloppy.

Never an issue with my Indy performance shop…
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 12:50 PM   #11
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC - M Sport

Quote:

I let them tell me what needs repaired. The last visit they quoted me $362 to replace the blower cover/screen. A week later the fan started surging (bad fan resistor). They didn't cause any issues, but without them I wouldn't have known about the ripped screen on the fan cover.

The fan cover was $36 online, I found the resistor for $42, and replaced the fan itself for $34.... And it took me 33 minutes for the entire job.

I know it would have been around $800 at the dealer, but the service and inspection told me what was needed.

I do change the oil in between services myself, so that it gets done every ~5k miles. But that inspection, even if I don't get them to do the work, is nice.

Of course, my dealership is pretty good. I know there are crappy ones out there as well.
Appreciate 0