BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-03-2023, 05:44 AM   #1
Mark1816
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 630i

Garage List
2006 630i Coolant top up issue

Good morning, I wanted to check my coolant level and top up if necessary, as the engine temperature doesn't raise until I am about 4 miles down the road, when i open the cap this is what I am presented with in the picture, is the center piece supposed to be attached to the cap? I cant see how else i can check and top up the levels, any help well received.
BMW 630i coupe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 10:11 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I think your cap is broken. That round part is probably supposed to be snapped in to the clips I can see on your cap. But at that point you ought to be able to wiggle/pry/pull the rest out. I'm sayin this w/o having direct experinece with your model, but I've never seen a cap like what you pictured before.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 06:10 AM   #3
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Mark,

I agree with Opie. I too am unfamiliar with your model, however it looks like the cap has come apart. Just get a new OEM cap from any of the online suppliers or your local dealer. They are inexpensive. Once you have it on hand, carefully compare the new cap to the old cap and its components, then remove the faulty cap/part from the reservoir.

As far as engine temperature not raising until you are 4 miles down the road.....On our F models 2013-18, the temperature gauge actually measures oil temperature, not coolant temp. It does take a while for that gauge to budge, even here in Florida. Double check what yours is measuring, coolant or oil.

Lastly, you could always get Bimmerlink and get all of the above and much more displayed on your phone.

Let us know how it works out for you.

L
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 12:35 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Smile

If the temp gauge has an icon with a thermometer rising out of wiggly lines…then it is an engine coolant temp gauge.

If the temp gauge on your cluster has an icon of an old fashion oil tin…then it is an oil temp gauge. (If memory serves correct…the E chassis 6 series has a cluster with only 2 round gauges with the fuel meter in the bottom of the left gauge and either a engine coolant or oil temp meter in the right gauge)…where as the F chassis 6 series saw a return of 4 round gauges in the cluster).

EDIT: just did an internet search for a 2006 instrument cluster to see what it actually looks like…and it appears that the E chassis 6 series has the instrument cluster that only has 2 gauges and the oil temp meter is located in the lower right gauge…not coolant temp.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-05-2023 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0