BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
gt205v6
Rep
Drives: Accord Coupe V6

Question Planning to Purchase a 2007 M6

Planning to purchase a 2007 M6 with a mileage a little bit under 36K+ miles (SMG transmission, 2 previous owners (I will be the 3rd), no accidents (yet to confirm it with a technician & carfax). Went to see it on Saturday and I liked the car a lot. The only thing that worried me was the fact that the cold air intake (CAI) was modified (afe air filter) and also the stock exhaust was replaced (I am attaching the picture of the engine I took). The car hasn't been used lately so especially the engine compartment was very dirty. Also, the "Service Engine Soon" light was on inside and when I checked the on-board computer it showed increased emissions as an issue. I have done some reading online and it looks like the aftermarket CAIs cause irregular/more air to pass through mass air flow (MAF) sensor, as a result triggers the service engine light (because of the possible lean combustion that will occur in the chamber) or sometimes the oil from the aftermarket CAIs clog the MAF sensor causing the issue. The owner also told me that as soon as he installed the aftermarket CAI it triggered the "Service Engine Soon" light.

The car is supposed to be still under 4 year warranty, although the owner will let me know exactly when it will expire (hopefully not February). So my questions to you are;

1. Should I walk away from this deal, am I taking too much of a risk, given the modifications and the engine light? I hopefully will use that as a leverage and get a good deal but still do not want to buy a car that I will have to pay to get it fixed every month - especially given the costs associated with fixing an M car.

2. I am hoping that after I replace the aftermarket CAI with the BMW part, the emmissions will settle and the service engine light will go off (if the MAF is not damaged). My question is, throughout the time that the car is still under warranty, will BMW give me hard time because of the aftermarket exhaust (and the old aftermarket CAI) that is(was) installed? I am sure even if I install the stock CAI, they will be able to tell there was an aftermarket CAI from the data they have on car's computer and/or by looking at the screws holding the CAI box.

3. It looks like although the aftermarket CAI triggered the "Service Engine Soon" light the current owner did not care and used the car with the warning sign on. From the reading that I have done, as I have stated earlier, the engine is getting more than enough air and this is effecting the stoichiometric burn ratio. Assume he used the car like this for at least 15K miles, has the current state affected the lifetime of the engine? I will take really good care of it from the day I will own it but if the current owner has already ruined the engine, I don't think it will matter.

4. I have also read some horror stories regarding the SMG transmission catastrophically failing without notice. Looking at the mods on the car I don't think the current owner used it at low revs all the time. So assume the car was sometimes(or regularly) pushed to its limits, does it mean that SMG transmission is already close to its lifetime?

5. Given the condition of the car, how much offer should I give to the seller? Assume you were buying the car in the given condition, what would be the maximum value you would comfortably offer given all these risks?

Thank you all for your time. The pictures of the engine are attached.
Attached Images

Last edited by gt205v6; 02-13-2011 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
prichards516
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 zcp

i dont know bro..its kinda of tricky. Have you taken it for a test drive yet? the dealer will probably give you some flack about the aftermarket parts honestly, but they say that only the systems affected by the aftermarket part wont be covered (at least at my dealership).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
gt205v6
Rep

I did take it for a short test-drive and it did take off pretty good and drove okay. But I am not a technician and that service engine soon warning sign is worrying me a lot, to be honest...

I will get it checked and decide afterwards...

Most important question is, if it were you, how much would you offer?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt205v6 View Post
I did take it for a short test-drive and it did take off pretty good and drove okay. But I am not a technician and that service engine soon warning sign is worrying me a lot, to be honest...

I will get it checked and decide afterwards...

Most important question is, if it were you, how much would you offer?
For an '07 M6 with 36k miles, no more than $46k
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Shiftinggearz
Member at Large. Probably Driving Aimlessly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 M PKG & 2010 650 VERT

Garage List
2010 650 I Vert  [0.00]
2010 X5  [0.00]
I would do 2008 or later. My SA told me that anything prior to 08 in the 6 Series has some issues. 08 and later issues were resolved, though I am not sure if it pertained to the M6 as well as the 6. That engine looks awfully dirty to me. I would be very careful.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
gt205v6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftinggearz View Post
I would do 2008 or later. My SA told me that anything prior to 08 in the 6 Series has some issues. 08 and later issues were resolved, though I am not sure if it pertained to the M6 as well as the 6. That engine looks awfully dirty to me. I would be very careful.
The car has been sitting at the lot for 6 months now, the owner is just starting the engine to recharge the battery, i guess that's why the engine is dirty. So I realize I can't have my cake and eat it too, especially when buying a used car. If I end up buying it though the first thing I will do is to hose down the engine!

I should be showing it soon and keep you guys posted. I don't understand why someone would upgrade the air filter and the exhaust system of an M6, it is already a very powerful car with stock parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
gt205v6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinIsRich08 View Post
For an '07 M6 with 36k miles, no more than $46k
I was actually hoping to get it for a little bit less, given the upgrades on the car and the service engine soon light indication light on.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
gt205v6
Rep

Quote:
I can't afford an 08 at this point. If I want to go for an 08 it would be an M3 instead. I like M6 better I think it is more unique. There are a lot of 3 series on the road but not that many 6.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
Shiftinggearz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 650 I Vert  [0.00]
2010 X5  [0.00]
I hear ya QT. I just traded in a virtually new M3 for a 650 vert. I was way overcharged on the M3 lease and luckily able to get out without penalty. They had a brand new 650 vert on the lot fully loaded discounted 20K. We took that as well as an X5 w/ M PKG on an SL500 trade. I couldnt be happier with both. e bought these instead of leasing and I am paying less on the 650 to buy than i was on the M3 to lease. You are right, there are not many M6's out there and the 650 is also few and far between, although not like the M6. Good luck on your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:54 AM   #10
gt205v6
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya QT. I just traded in a virtually new M3 for a 650 vert. I was way overcharged on the M3 lease and luckily able to get out without penalty. They had a brand new 650 vert on the lot fully loaded discounted 20K. We took that as well as an X5 w/ M PKG on an SL500 trade. I couldnt be happier with both. e bought these instead of leasing and I am paying less on the 650 to buy than i was on the M3 to lease. You are right, there are not many M6's out there and the 650 is also few and far between, although not like the M6. Good luck on your purchase.
They are both gorgeous cars. I promised myself that I would go for an M car for my next car that's why I am only considering M. I looked to Z4 Ms for a while but debated on buying a roadster - since it would be my only car. So M6 looks like a better option, since I can also carry boxes, or have more than 2 people in the car when I need to.

How much did you end up paying for the 650 vert?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Shiftinggearz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 650 I Vert  [0.00]
2010 X5  [0.00]
It was a 97K car. We got it at 67K plus tire and wheel insurance and gap insurance. The interest rate w/ BMW was 0.9% for 5 years on a select plan w/ a 17k payment at the end. I added 6000.00 20" M wheels and was credited 2K for the ones already on the car. The goals is to pay these cars off in 3-4 yrs and keep them for awhile w/o car payments. Couldnt pass it up. it looks sweet. Not sure why many do not like the style. I think it looks so much better than the new one coming out.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Shiftinggearz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 650 I Vert  [0.00]
2010 X5  [0.00]
Sorry, that should be 76K not 67K.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
gt205v6
Rep

Quote:
It was a 97K car. We got it at 67K plus tire and wheel insurance and gap insurance. The interest rate w/ BMW was 0.9% for 5 years on a select plan w/ a 17k payment at the end. I added 6000.00 20" M wheels and was credited 2K for the ones already on the car. The goals is to pay these cars off in 3-4 yrs and keep them for awhile w/o car payments. Couldnt pass it up. it looks sweet. Not sure why many do not like the style. I think it looks so much better than the new one coming out.
You can't beat 0.9% financing. 76K is a very good price, especially for a brand new convertible. You def. need a tire+wheel insurance for a 20" wheel. I am also planning to do a 4 year financing and use it at least for 2 more years after I pay off the car. I don't frequently change cars, that's the other reason I want something that I really want as my next car so that I don't start looking for another car in a year or two.

I agree with you the look of the new 6 series, although I would give my opinion after seeing it in person. From the pictures, I like its rear design but not the front. It looks like they took a lot of risk with this design and gauging customers' like/dislike for their future direction.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #14
Shiftinggearz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 650 I Vert  [0.00]
2010 X5  [0.00]
Definitely a smart choice QT. BTW, I did some checking on the M6 verts on Ebay. Not sure if you looked there and also cars.com and autotrader.com, but you might check, just to make sure you do not see something better for the price. If you see something in another state they have some great carriers that will ship enclosed and a reasonable rates. Rates vary depending on location.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #15
M5Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Ranger

Just curious - did you make the purchase?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
gt205v6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Boss View Post
Just curious - did you make the purchase?
I haven't purchased it yet, still looking for an M6 though. The white M6, as far as I know, is still available and is one of my options at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #17
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

There's a lot of M6's for sale. Just check yahoo autos.
Appreciate 0