BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-26-2023, 03:26 AM   #1
JRamM6
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 GC

Picking up a 2017 Gran Coupe tomorrow

Damn it's been a while since I've been on here. I've put a deposit down on a 2017 M6 GC with 22k miles on it because I've always wanted one and the right one popped up. I'm super pumped to pick it up, but I can't say I'm not a little nervous about it after hopping back on these forums and reading around.

Seems like a like of people have had motors seize, or rod bearing issues. I know certain things come with an M car, I've had 2 E36 M3s, 2 E92 M3s, E63 M6 (which was a nightmare), and various other BMW's, and I am really looking forward to picking this one up. But should I be worried? lol. The car is stock with low mileage, but it will be my daily driver. Would you guys recommend just going right to upgrading the rod bearings or how common of a thing is this'd how big of an expense are we talking? Does anyone have a good third party warranty company that actually covers things because that seems wise here. It is at a private dealer, way out of town in Texas. Good to be back!!
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2023, 05:11 AM   #2
machareus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F06 M6 CP, '21 Alpina XB7

I have a 2015 and haven't had any engine issues. I think the majority of people who have had engine seizure issues were in the original N63 engine that was never in the M6. The N63 issues were (based on what I've read) largely resolved when a technical update was released in 2012.

The M6 uses the S63 engine, and I haven't seen widespread reports of issues. I don't monitor the M5 forums though, so might be worth checking out what people have said over there. And there is a guy who just posted on these forums about how his 2014 M6 engine seized and now needs a rebuild. So I guess YMMV?

I would still pull the trigger though. Especially with such low mileage in a 2017, I think you will be fine. Not just fine, you'll be grinning like an idiot every time you take off from a red light.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by machareus View Post
...you'll be grinning like an idiot every time you take off from a red light.
Yep...along with needing neck massages from all the looking back you'll be doing when you park and start to walk away.

And learn how to smile politely and say "thank you" in a sincere but not pompous tone...because you'll be getting lots of compliments from strangers in regards to your sexy beast!

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2023, 03:37 PM   #4
machareus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F06 M6 CP, '21 Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Yep...along with needing neck massages from all the looking back you'll be doing when you park and start to walk away.

And learn how to smile politely and say "thank you" in a sincere but not pompous tone...because you'll be getting lots of compliments from strangers in regards to your sexy beast!

I park in the part of the lot that is farthest from the store entrance, always. This policy is especially important when it's raining.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 06:00 PM   #5
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRamM6 View Post
Damn it's been a while since I've been on here. I've put a deposit down on a 2017 M6 GC with 22k miles on it because I've always wanted one and the right one popped up. I'm super pumped to pick it up, but I can't say I'm not a little nervous about it after hopping back on these forums and reading around.

Seems like a like of people have had motors seize, or rod bearing issues. I know certain things come with an M car, I've had 2 E36 M3s, 2 E92 M3s, E63 M6 (which was a nightmare), and various other BMW's, and I am really looking forward to picking this one up. But should I be worried? lol. The car is stock with low mileage, but it will be my daily driver. Would you guys recommend just going right to upgrading the rod bearings or how common of a thing is this'd how big of an expense are we talking? Does anyone have a good third party warranty company that actually covers things because that seems wise here. It is at a private dealer, way out of town in Texas. Good to be back!!
You are correct unfortunately. Many people have theories as to the culprit of the bearing failures. Some say bearings themselves, oil type and intervals etc list goes on. I have a m6 with 19k miles but it's pre lci. I'm planning on doing mu bearings at 40k miles. You'll find some ppl who say not to worry but I will always side on caution. I have a power train warranty through hendrick auto group. Most warranty companies won't even cover the m6 from my research (possibly due to age of my car). I would recommend having at least 4-5k in maintenance costs set aside. And would suggest just keeping that warranty money as back up. My warranty was 3k. With your mileage, you prob won't need it until the warranty has ran out lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 12:17 AM   #6
JRamM6
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 GC

Got it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Ql...usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GFd...usp=share_link

[IMG] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lnt...usp=share_link [/IMG]

[IMG] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zAP...usp=share_link [/IMG]

Ok well I picked it up in Texas and drove back 14 hours straight to Scottsdale. Lot of fun but that ride is one star do not recommend. Luckily the seats fold down so I took a 20 minute nap in the trunk somewhere around El Paso. Absolutely love the car. Glad you guys reassured me and I could not be happier. I keep going in the garage and get that shit eating grin look every time.

Does anyone know a good shop in the Scottsdale or Phoenix area that is trustworthy? I'd like to get the car checked out and get an oil change, and someone to install bolt ons as I get them. Also lost the front tow hitch cover on the ride home, so I need to track down the part number for that, and see if I can find one pre painted or need to find a shop to take care of that.

Other than that the car is incredible. I do feel like it is very tamed and needs to be opened up with the intake and exhaust/downpipes, but it's still amazing. I'll post more as I get some things done and becomes more of my own. Super excited it all worked out!

Last edited by JRamM6; 05-30-2023 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 08:27 AM   #7
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Beautiful car, welcome to the club! I too had some concerns about reliability before buying an M6... I tried to do my best to push my desire for this car away and even bought a CLS550 AMG Sport Line which objectively was a great car, but it was missing the sporty edge that I crave from BMW. After owning that car for only a year I sold it and found this M6 with 42k miles for sale at the BMW dealer with a 1 owner clean carfax, full service history and bone stock. I've since made it my own with some minor enhancements like wheels, springs, Soul PP exhaust, and some carbon accessories. I'm perfectly satisfied with the performance of this car out of the box, so I don't really have any desire to tune it or modify it in that aspect, but then again, apart from the occasional "pull" I drive slower than most people.

It's been about 4500 miles and almost 2 years of blissful ownership. Haven't had any issues knock on wood and I'm glad I got over my fear and bought it.
Attached Images

Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 2
mikerx5461.00
      06-07-2023, 04:55 AM   #8
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
You make me want one again… Have had 2 F-series M6s, a 2014 F13 and 2017 F06, both from near new as could never have afforded to buy these as new, depreciation especially pre-pandemic was brutal. Had to sell the F06 when I thought it was a good idea to move back to Europe from Australia - until it wasn’t… Lived in Spain for the last year, and almost bought another 2016 F06, but instead made a decision to move back to Aus - crazy, yes I know. Came back here and absolutely wanted another one, pref. LCI F06, but would also have considered a F13, but nothing available with reasonably low mileage. The “next best option” was a G30 550i, very happy with it, but it’s not (doesn’t feel) even remotely as special as an M6.

These are pretty much bulletproof cars if maintained properly. First service at 2,000 km/1,200 mls is a must - miss that and you will be asking for trouble. I wouldn’t touch one if that service wasn’t completed. Frequent oil change is also something the S63 engine likes - I wouldn’t accept any longer intervals than 6-7,000 km. Get an oil analysis done (I think Blackmores in the US, plenty of info in this forum), that should provide a pretty good snapshot if anything gives reason for concern, at least from the engine perspective (and that’s the most expensive part if it fails). Also, I would avoid tuned cars - not for the sake of tuning, but more likely those cars have been abused…

Otherwise, remember 2017 is already a 6 years old car, as a daily driver not exactly “fresh”, so regardless of the mileage likely all cars (with maybe the exception of Toyota, but they are not M6s) will require some non-standard servicing, and often they don’t come cheap (also called M tax).

I would buy one in a heartbeat if I was still in the market. The F-series M6 is by far the most stylish BMW design ever, and ages extremely well. Even plain 640s turn heads on the road. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0