BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Window problem

A few weeks ago the passenger window would not fully close on shutting the door (like all 2 door cars, the window drops a cm or so when opening the door). I checked for any obstruction in the roof and 'A' pillar channels, but there was nothing to impede full travel and the only solution was to manually close it on the door switch. I tried cycling the windows several times and the passenger window closed fully but then immediately dropped halfway back down.

I then got a fault code - something about "power window cutout inoperative" (sorry, can't remember exactly) but on going into the menu and clicking the book symbol, the 'no faults' caption was displayed and the yellow alert notification disappeared.

However, the window fault remained for another week and then mysteriously cleared itself. It's been fine for a while now, but these things rarely disappear and I'd like to get it sorted.

So, I have two questions: 1. can I disconnect and reconnect the battery in an attempt to reset things, or will I get an error code? 2. is there a reset procedure similar to that for resetting the throttle response.

Of course, I could always take it into the dealer, but I'm into my first year of BMW insured extended warranty and the policy carries a £250 excess - a lot to pay for a minor problem, at least that's what I'm hoping!

Any help much appreciated - many thanks.

Jon D
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

I did a forum search before posting the above but didn't find anything relevant. However, I tried again and found this: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...t=window+reset
I'll give it a go and see what happens, but I'd still like to know if you can disconnect and reconnect the battery without getting error codes - how else would you change it without paying the dealer to do it?

Edit: link not working, but procedure described is as follows:

Proper initialization procedure is

* All doors closed
* Iginition on
* Open window and continue pressing window switch down for between 15 and 25 seconds.
* Close window by pulling window switch all the way up.
* After window is fully closed initialization is complete
* Repeat for each window.

Last edited by Jon D; 05-09-2015 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post

Proper initialization procedure is

* All doors closed
* Iginition on
* Open window and continue pressing window switch down for between 15 and 25 seconds.
* Close window by pulling window switch all the way up.
* After window is fully closed initialization is complete
* Repeat for each window.

Correct, Thats from my post on the other forum
If you disconnect the battery you would anyway have to do this, so no need to disconnect it