BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
5ivelug_ek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Melbourne

Brake calipers severely faded??

So I recently picked up a 2014 m6 GC. It is equipped with the carbon ceramic brakes. The front calipers are severely faded and discolored. The rear caliper still look dark and like new. After pulling the front wheels off, it appears it's just the outside of the calipers that look faded. It's bad enough you can't even see the ///M logo. It really bother me now. Is this cosmetic issue something bmw would replace under the factory warranty? I don't know if anyone else has had similar issues. I guess if they won't, I could have them repainted.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #2
IM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ivelug_ek View Post
So I recently picked up a 2014 m6 GC. It is equipped with the carbon ceramic brakes. The front calipers are severely faded and discolored. The rear caliper still look dark and like new. After pulling the front wheels off, it appears it's just the outside of the calipers that look faded. It's bad enough you can't even see the ///M logo. It really bother me now. Is this cosmetic issue something bmw would replace under the factory warranty? I don't know if anyone else has had similar issues. I guess if they won't, I could have them repainted.
Mines exactly the same, and I had the same thought sprung to my mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
rambino
M Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 / X6M

This doesnt matter, the only way to tell is too look at the wear indicator.. If you look at ur rotors, you will see a round circle imprint in them, about the size of a thumbprint. If this indicator is heavily faded, missing imprint etc.. then the rotors are past 50% life.. if the indicators are still very visible, the rotors are fine and id drive one worry free
      10-24-2016, 03:26 AM   #4
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambino View Post
This doesnt matter, the only way to tell is too look at the wear indicator.. If you look at ur rotors, you will see a round circle imprint in them, about the size of a thumbprint. If this indicator is heavily faded, missing imprint etc.. then the rotors are past 50% life.. if the indicators are still very visible, the rotors are fine and id drive one worry free
The three markers on each disc start to turn jet black, then it's time to get them checked.
Appreciate 0