BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Considering 2016 M6 Coupe- Daily Driver?

While Its kind of big for me, but I am looking for a highway cruiser/great place to be when I have to sit in Traffic. Have been BMW owner for 12 years- E56 ZHP- Z4MC and now a 435GC- but want a coupe - one thing I am not a big fan of the BMW's I have owned- is tire roar and wind noise- don't mind engine noise (not drone) how is the M6 on the highway? Engine drone? Tire roar? I want the GT-ness of the car with the awesome looks and (semi) quiet on the highway- it has the Executive package with better sound system- I want to hear music and the engine- not the wind or the tires... Thank you for any replies...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
JNMiller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

M6 may not be the best in traffic, though certainly liveable, but every 6-Series I’ve been in is a great everyday driver. I have a 650 GC and while tire and wind noise are not an issue in this car, as it is pretty quiet on the highway for me, it is not good at all over rougher pavement. My 435i was far better surprisingly. Either that or I just miss it a little. The 650i GC shudders over bumps that were hard in the 435i coupe but still solidly soaked up, and that car also had the full M performance setup and 20” staggered wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I heard the coupe was slightly quieter than the Gran Coupe and convertible due to a smaller area of the window frame and roof to seal noise from.

Check out Car and Driver magazine or Motor Trend's spec sheets where they measure interior decibels at certain speeds. You can then compare it against your other cars.

You can also remove the ASD to quiet down the cabin even more. That said, this car is not designed to completely seal you away from the mechanical noises of the car. IMO, also tire noises often comes down to the tires used.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 01-16-2018 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

I have had my 650 for 3 years and for the past year I've been commuting 30mi to work and 30 back and I have no issues. It's super comfortable and it's super quiet! When placed on comfort + wow.. feels like a boat where it's so smooth... I'm 6'2 and everyone me chulea my sexfifty ?
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

OP, I don't have the M6, but can share some opinions from the F12 650i... In short, go for it, man!

I commute to project consulting work about 100mi once or twice each week and then do a little over 500mi on Saturdays to see my little girl. (all on Brit motorways). No opinion on "wind noise"; mine's a vert.

The 650i is almost perfect for me, but I would now like to have the M6 for various personal reasons. I don't regret the 650i purchase per se, but I think the M6 would suit my driving style even better. I will say, most of my driving is in Sport and I replace tires/pads often.

I'm happy though that I went with all the "adaptive this and that, blah, blah, blah" suspension options. Gives me something to play with between Shell V-Power fill ups. lol Probably would've saved on tires (tyres?) and wheels if I didn't go with the 20"s; but again.. oh well.

(Forget that the 640d would be the economical choice for my purposes... I didn't buy a 6 Series for economy.)

Overall, I've learned that if it's just a toy and I can afford it... why not have it. Life is too short.

ymmv.. good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 05:59 AM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMiller View Post
M6 may not be the best in traffic, though certainly liveable, but every 6-Series I’ve been in is a great everyday driver. I have a 650 GC and while tire and wind noise are not an issue in this car, as it is pretty quiet on the highway for me, it is not good at all over rougher pavement. My 435i was far better surprisingly. Either that or I just miss it a little. The 650i GC shudders over bumps that were hard in the 435i coupe but still solidly soaked up, and that car also had the full M performance setup and 20” staggered wheels and tires.
It's mazing how Adaptive Drive smooths out the bumps, that and 18" wheels - they might not look as 'cool' but I had 20" rims on my last 640i and hated the harsh ride. I had no hesitation in ordering my current car with 18's and I don't regret the choice.
Appreciate 0