BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

iPhone and Snap-in Media Adapter

Has any of you experienced your iPhone not enabled at car startup? I have an iPhone 4S attached to a Media Snap-in Adapter and intermittently, it is shown as disabled on the iDrive under External Devices. I need to pop the adapter up and reinsert before the iPhone gets recognized. Very odd.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

My wife and I both have iphone 4s and the cradle... Plugged in is never an issue but it's funny.... when we both are in the car and the fone is not in the cradle, it's a hit and miss what fone the iDrive picks up. Very amusing. Like Southern22 said before......... my problem is going somewhere with the fone in the cradle then leave it in the car!!!!!!!!! ARRRGH !!! ( brain fart!! )
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

The iPhone 4S I am using is like Southern's. I use it as a music source only. Unfortunately, it does not activate consistently when I start the car. Very puzzling.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
greenie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i x-drive m-sport coup

No problem here Andreo with my 4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo
The iPhone 4S I am using is like Southern's. I use it as a music source only. Unfortunately, it does not activate consistently when I start the car. Very puzzling.
I don't cradle - just the white cord - but it sometimes takes a few minutes to recognize that it should wake up and do its job. If I don't hear the tone by the time I'm in reverse, I usually open the console, push the Home button, and that gets it going.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22
Quote:
I don't cradle - just the white cord - but it sometimes takes a few minutes to recognize that it should wake up and do its job. If I don't hear the tone by the time I'm in reverse, I usually open the console, push the Home button, and that gets it going.
Oh yes. That's right. Unfortunately, pushing the home button does not wake the device for my case. Still trying to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Has any of you experienced your iPhone not enabled at car startup? I have an iPhone 4S attached to a Media Snap-in Adapter and intermittently, it is shown as disabled on the iDrive under External Devices. I need to pop the adapter up and reinsert before the iPhone gets recognized. Very odd.
Yes. Reseat your snap in adapter. (i.e., remove the snap in adapter and replace it using moderate force).

This should cure it for a while. When it fails again in three months follow this sane procedure again.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Thanks. That appears to be the only solution at the moment. Still trying different configurations between the snap-in phone and my mobile phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep

Good news! I may have found the source of the problem of this iPhone startup inconsistency. It turns out the issue is a setting in the iPhone as opposed to iDrive. All we have to do is to turn off AutoLock and the problem goes away. So far I have tested it overnight and after a variety of idle times. The music comes right back on as soon as iDrive boots up. Give it a try and see whether it works the same in your cars. My iPhone settings attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0