BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #45
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rma206 View Post
Looks great! I've hit the 2k mark this week. Micro managed my run in service at 1194! I've been meaning to get it out to liquid in Knightsbridge but just haven't had the time.

Any mods planned as yet for yours? It's not easy getting stuff here, I've had to pay a load in duty and vat from the states already...
Well don't get me started on mods. I do enjoy making engine / exhaust / brake and suspension mods....BUT I am a little (read very) concerned about the warranty !

What are your thoughts on this please ?

Yes Liquid was very good. I called and emailed them. They didn't come back to me any time soon. I just turned up and one their wash guys was walking by the entrance barrier and he said come down I'll wash it for you. Liquid did come back at the end of the day saying they were fully booked for the next few days.

Whereabouts are you based ?
      01-20-2016, 04:09 PM   #46
rma206
Rep
Drives: M6 gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 London
Quote:
Looks great! I've hit the 2k mark this week. Micro managed my run in service at 1194! I've been meaning to get it out to liquid in Knightsbridge but just haven't had the time.

Any mods planned as yet for yours? It's not easy getting stuff here, I've had to pay a load in duty and vat from the states already...
Well don't get me started on mods. I do enjoy making engine / exhaust / brake and suspension mods....BUT I am little (read very) concerned about the warranty !

What are your thoughts on this please ?

Yes Liquid was very good. I called and emailed them. They didn't come back to me any time soon. I just turned up and one their wash guys was walking by the entrance barrier and he said come down I'll wash it for you. Liquid did come back at the end of the day saying they were fully booked for the next few days.

Whereabouts are you based ?
Based in hammersmith, so they are relatively local, will try and drive in tomorrow and see how that goes.

Re mods I would only do what is either reversible or things that wouldn't impact.

I didn't go for the b&o system, spent that money on custom fibre glass enclosures in the boot (side wells) with two jl audio subs, got the exhaustmeister going in next weekend, carbon tips, front splitter, rear diffuser, winter wheels, blackvue and road angel all done so far.. Haven't seen the akrapovic exhaust in person, I'm hesitant on spending the 8k on the bmw version (to retain warranty) without hearing it first.

Where are you based?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:47 AM   #47
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Based in hammersmith, so they are relatively local, will try and drive in tomorrow and see how that goes.

Re mods I would only do what is either reversible or things that wouldn't impact.

I didn't go for the b&o system, spent that money on custom fibre glass enclosures in the boot (side wells) with two jl audio subs, got the exhaustmeister going in next weekend, carbon tips, front splitter, rear diffuser, winter wheels, blackvue and road angel all done so far.. Haven't seen the akrapovic exhaust in person, I'm hesitant on spending the 8k on the bmw version (to retain warranty) without hearing it first.

Where are you based?
Hiya !

I am in South Kensington actually. So just down the Autobahn ..er I mean A4 from you.

You should post up some pics of your car, the front splitter and rear diffuser must look pretty good.

Cheers
      01-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #48
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Nice to see some more UK GCs. Still not seen one on the road though!! When I picked it up at the dealers, several staff came outside to have a look and take pictures with it! They said it was the most striking car they've EVER had in the showroom!

I've put some minor cosmetic mods on already. IND black grills and side grills, BMW CF rear spoiler too and CF rear exhaust tips.

I'll be fitting eibach springs to drop it by about 20mm all round and I've got 10mm wheel spacers and long bolts in the garage to try from previous. BMW dealers will never even notice the modded springs, they are just black springs, so no warranty worries. The car will sell with them on too, just don't mention it.

In any case, warranty is only an issue with related parts. Eg they won't refuse a broken trim if you changed the springs!

I've been in touch with DMS about their remap, 730 bhp and 1000nm for £2000+vat. Bargain compared to the competition pack. That price also includes unlimited map removals / reloads at your home or work. so before a service or repair you can get it removed in case they test drive it.

My insurance only went up by £20 when I quoted a +20% power ECU remap!

Pics...
Attached Images

Last edited by doughboy; 01-26-2016 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2016, 04:45 PM   #49
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Very nice looking car !!

The DMS map is very tempting indeed.

I am just a bit concerned that if there is an engine / drive-train issue at some point BMW may be able to investigate if there was a upgraded map on it at some point, even if you have removed it. What are your thoughts on this ?

I am not averse to modifying at all, but something about the warranty still freaks me out !
      01-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #50
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I've spoken to Rob Young at DMS and he explained that to avoid detection of ECU modifications they program directly into the ECUs themselves (there are 2) and not via the OBD port.

This means they unplug the ECUs and then attached a programming lead. He says it takes 20 minutes and is absolutely undetectable. (edit - 3 hours first time, then quicker afterwards)

The map includes a speed limiter removal, so good for Vmax and autobahn trips I'm not 100% sure yet, but I put it on my insurance from the off as it's a lot cheaper than adding it mid policy.

Rob's own car is an F10 M5, so that has been the DMS test mule for all the mapping design with over 50 hours of dyno time.. The free load-unload service covers the whole UK, they'll drive someone up to you to do it in 24hours. I wouldn't unload it for a regular service as I take it in myself but I would for any sort of work where they might need to drive it or for any problem investigations. If they "upgrade" the car software at service, which is common, it may wipe the re-map off, again DMS will come up for free and reload it.

Remember BMW dealers want the work, they're not in the business of finding reasons not to do it.

My 335i went in for engine warranty work with De Catted downpipes, upgraded intercooler and altered suspension and no dealer service history, they never said a word and fixed the problems for free.

Last edited by doughboy; 01-27-2016 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2016, 06:50 AM   #51
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I've spoken to Rob Young at DMS and he explained that to avoid detection of ECU modifications they program directly into the ECUs themselves (there are 2) and not via the OBD port.

This means they unplug the ECUs and then attached a programming lead. He says it takes 20 minutes and is absolutely undetectable. (edit - 3 hours first time, then quicker afterwards)

The map includes a speed limiter removal, so good for Vmax and autobahn trips I'm not 100% sure yet, but I put it on my insurance from the off as it's a lot cheaper than adding it mid policy.

Rob's own car is an F10 M5, so that has been the DMS test mule for all the mapping design with over 50 hours of dyno time.. The free load-unload service covers the whole UK, they'll drive someone up to you to do it in 24hours. I wouldn't unload it for a regular service as I take it in myself but I would for any sort of work where they might need to drive it or for any problem investigations. If they "upgrade" the car software at service, which is common, it may wipe the re-map off, again DMS will come up for free and reload it.

Remember BMW dealers want the work, they're not in the business of finding reasons not to do it.

My 335i went in for engine warranty work with De Catted downpipes, upgraded intercooler and altered suspension and no dealer service history, they never said a word and fixed the problems for free.
Thanks for the information ! Very much appreciated.

So you think you are going to pull the trigger on the DMS map then ?
      01-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #52
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Maybe....probably...

I'll see how the $$ situation is come spring time. I've got no use for 730bhp in the the winter!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #53
PhilGT2008
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Hello! Just signed up. Previously had an E60 535d and picked up a 16 month old M6 GC yesterday. Alpine white. Wow what a perfect family car!!! I'm UK also albeit over in Belfast.

Quick question - does the unlocking of doors seem a bit louder than average? Mine seems to come from what I assume is the fuel cap unlock? It's perfectly normal I think but was just wondering as its a lot louder than my e60 when the locks lock and unlock.

Can't wait for some decent weather as right foot down at the moment is just flashy ESP light....

Only had it 24 hours still sinking in its mine.

Last edited by PhilGT2008; 01-31-2016 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Add images
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #54
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Very nice!

I think I know what you mean about the locking noise. There is rather a clunk from the fuel cap area.

Not really noticed it too much, but it will bug me now
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 03:07 PM   #55
PhilGT2008
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Oops

Dont worry, I am already getting used to the noise so it isnt really bugging me now at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 03:27 PM   #56
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #57
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

That DMS tune is insane!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #58
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So we went for a long weekend thrash around Wales on some pretty exciting roads. 900 miles or so in 4 days, so a relatively minor jaunt by my standards. There will be several European excursions a little later on in the year.

The car performed flawlessly and even though it was pretty much raining the whole time it felt extremely well planted on the P Zeros and instilled confidence at all times.

Even though the car is very wide it sort of still managed some of the narrower country lanes with aplomb.

Body control over all the undulations and crests/dip etc was great and it really does not feel like its a 2000 KG behemoth.

I hardly ever use the paddles in town, but out it Wales the paddles really came into its own affording me great and precise control of the power delivery which I think was quite crucial considering the weather conditions, types of roads and abundance of torque.

Some random photos at one location, as we didn't fancy getting out of the car too much elsewhere, but I can assure you some parts of Wales allow for simply breathtaking views.

02-08-2016, 11:56 PM   #59
RiverRunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Exciting news! I'm sure you have a place that you plan to take her and regularly stretch her legs, so to speak..
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo 991.2
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 04:01 AM   #60
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFan View Post
Exciting news! I'm sure you have a place that you plan to take her and regularly stretch her legs, so to speak..
Thanks !

I have plenty of those around here or within about 20 minutes or so.

But the country lanes up in Wales really are superb !