BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

EQ Setting for Premium Sound Package Recommendation

If I can do it all over again, I would have checked B&O option box when getting this car. Default EQ setting on Premium Sound Package isn't what I expected for car at this range. I tinkered around with EQ a bit to get better sound separation and clarity, but would like to get recommendation for best EQ setting for house music.

Thank you all
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Default settings. lol

I believe mine are the same as factory setup. I also regret passing on the B&O.

Any audiophiles out there who know what you're doing with these settings but didn't happen to get the B&O?

This is all foreign to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Default settings. lol

I believe mine are the same as factory setup. I also regret passing on the B&O.

Any audiophiles out there who know what you're doing with these settings but didn't happen to get the B&O?

This is all foreign to me.
Lol, that's true. I guess everyone who cares about audio at all got B&O upgrade. I looked on realoem.com and it doesn't look like an easy retrofitting job besides ultra expensive parts. However, I find that EQ setting makes a huge difference in this car, from not so good to OK.

BMW should follow Mercedes step in audio package options. They have standard, HK, and B&O audio option. Plus, HK upgrade is the same cost as BMW's premium sound. But, Mercedes HK option is quite a bit better than BMW's premium sound package. It provides deeper low and clearer high. I just want it to be cleaner/clearer.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
Hadi Q8
Rep
Drives: -

I was just thinking of skipping B&O, but after checking this thread i'll make sure i'm getting it lol
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadi Q8 View Post
I was just thinking of skipping B&O, but after checking this thread i'll make sure i'm getting it lol
You will be glad for not skipping it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
Reeses83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes E550 Coupe

Garage List
I wish I would've checked the B&O box as well. I used to have a 2012 MB CLS (long story) and the HK sound system was great! I was very impressed with the HK's deep bass and clear highs. It was great for all genres of music.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Even if the sound weren't that much better, I still think it would be worth the money. It's steep, but not living with this regret (and black plastic speaker grills ) would be worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeses83 View Post
I wish I would've checked the B&O box as well. I used to have a 2012 MB CLS (long story) and the HK sound system was great! I was very impressed with the HK's deep bass and clear highs. It was great for all genres of music.
HK in Mercedes is very good and the price is right. Default setting is great for all types of musics with minor bass and treble adjustment. I never bother looking at who OEM premium sound package for BMW, but it is pretty sad especially the cost is the same as HK upgrade on Mercedes.

Like what southern6er22 said, even just for the look alone is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
If I can do it all over again, I would have checked B&O option box when getting this car. Default EQ setting on Premium Sound Package isn't what I expected for car at this range. I tinkered around with EQ a bit to get better sound separation and clarity, but would like to get recommendation for best EQ setting for house music.

Thank you all
Hi all, as someone that takes this stuff a bit seriously, let me counter some of the discussion. While I no longer am professionally a sound engineer, I've been writing/playing/performing and the like in the sound field my entire life. In a former period of life, i was a music producer/mixer/sound engineer and the like, I have LPs out (yes vinyl!), CDs, individual tracks and tracks included on mixed CDs commercially sold. So in my mind, Im certainly an audiophile, but no expert since I no longer am part of the industry.

I have to counter much if not all of the arguments in regards to the Premium sound option vs B&O in terms of sound quality. The premium sound option is an amazingly competent package produced by Dirac. If you want to understand about what and who Dirac is, there is alot of details you can find about their quality levels by doing a little searching. In fact, the Individual Premium Sound option in my former M6 was by Dirac, it was the highest Sound option offered in the previous M6 and M5 models. Point being, its very very good if you set it up properly, which gets to the question that started this thread. Now the B & O option is based as much on asthetics as sound quality, and a number of members continue to post that the looks are worth it alone. I dont agree at all being an audiophile, function always leads over form, not the other way. Its not a picture frame or some piece of art, its purpose is sound, so that has be the decision point for someone who cares first and foremost about sound, which I do. Id also counter to anyone who buys it for show to explain what type of home sound system they may have in order to gauge what drives the decision. I personally find it comical that some may spend thousand and thousand on their car sound option and have no meaningful home system in any way, again to me that points to a potential brag factor in a car option that you may own for a relatively short period of time. My home system was about 13 times the cost of the Premium sound option as a point of reference. Id say save the extra several thousand between the B & O and the Premium sound option and use it as part of your invest in your home system, you'll certainly get more use out of it and it may even raise the value of your property.

Now to the question on EQ, understand that the standard B&O and the standard Premium sound will sound the same if you do not set the EQ. The factory defaults for both are the same, they are flat!. So your disappointment is only due to the fact that you have not gone into your settings and set your EQ to optimize your experience. I assure you if you sat in my car you may think that I have a different system, but I dont ofcourse, Ive just optimized it to my likening, which like you is tuned for house music. And that is a distinction here, the EQ has to be set to the type of music and the source of music that you as an individual listen to. You will find that satellite radio channels broadcast very very different sound quality, and you have to adjust your EQ based on this. Optimally, you listen to CDs for house music and that will give you the best possible experience as you are working with a true digital source (in most cases). While Im not at home or with my car, I cant show you how I've set up my EQ, but I can do so later if you would like to see how I hear music best from the system ---but again, its really really dependent on your hearing ability, and I certainly hear things different than many due to my exposure to sound for so long. But if you want to set properly, you want to play a type of music that you are generally going to listen to and then tune that sound with the EQ. You just need to understand what each frequency relates to as you dont turn "up" all frequencies, which is often a novice error in trying to EQ sound. You want to turn "up" higher frequencies and turn "down" lower frequencies, and in the example "up" and "down" dont mean louder and lower, because you need to turn "up" the higher frequencies to expose them more, and you want to turn "down" your lower bass frequencies to actually make the "louder" if you will (or deeper in reality).

So to those of you "stuck" or "sorry" for not ticking the B&O box, Id just say to give your EQ a chance and you may find that you in fact made the "right" decision all along. good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I don't know much about audio/sound, but my guess was the premium and B&O were probably about the same in sound quality. For me, it really was about the looks.

I have never seen the premium sound eq, does the B&O eq have more settings? I would also love to know what your settings are since most of what I listen to is house.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Hi all, as someone that takes this stuff a bit seriously, let me counter some of the discussion. While I no longer am professionally a sound engineer, I've been writing/playing/performing and the like in the sound field my entire life. In a former period of life, i was a music producer/mixer/sound engineer and the like, I have LPs out (yes vinyl!), CDs, individual tracks and tracks included on mixed CDs commercially sold. So in my mind, Im certainly an audiophile, but no expert since I no longer am part of the industry.

I have to counter much if not all of the arguments in regards to the Premium sound option vs B&O in terms of sound quality. The premium sound option is an amazingly competent package produced by Dirac. If you want to understand about what and who Dirac is, there is alot of details you can find about their quality levels by doing a little searching. In fact, the Individual Premium Sound option in my former M6 was by Dirac, it was the highest Sound option offered in the previous M6 and M5 models. Point being, its very very good if you set it up properly, which gets to the question that started this thread. Now the B & O option is based as much on asthetics as sound quality, and a number of members continue to post that the looks are worth it alone. I dont agree at all being an audiophile, function always leads over form, not the other way. Its not a picture frame or some piece of art, its purpose is sound, so that has be the decision point for someone who cares first and foremost about sound, which I do. Id also counter to anyone who buys it for show to explain what type of home sound system they may have in order to gauge what drives the decision. I personally find it comical that some may spend thousand and thousand on their car sound option and have no meaningful home system in any way, again to me that points to a potential brag factor in a car option that you may own for a relatively short period of time. My home system was about 13 times the cost of the Premium sound option as a point of reference. Id say save the extra several thousand between the B & O and the Premium sound option and use it as part of your invest in your home system, you'll certainly get more use out of it and it may even raise the value of your property.

Now to the question on EQ, understand that the standard B&O and the standard Premium sound will sound the same if you do not set the EQ. The factory defaults for both are the same, they are flat!. So your disappointment is only due to the fact that you have not gone into your settings and set your EQ to optimize your experience. I assure you if you sat in my car you may think that I have a different system, but I dont ofcourse, Ive just optimized it to my likening, which like you is tuned for house music. And that is a distinction here, the EQ has to be set to the type of music and the source of music that you as an individual listen to. You will find that satellite radio channels broadcast very very different sound quality, and you have to adjust your EQ based on this. Optimally, you listen to CDs for house music and that will give you the best possible experience as you are working with a true digital source (in most cases). While Im not at home or with my car, I cant show you how I've set up my EQ, but I can do so later if you would like to see how I hear music best from the system ---but again, its really really dependent on your hearing ability, and I certainly hear things different than many due to my exposure to sound for so long. But if you want to set properly, you want to play a type of music that you are generally going to listen to and then tune that sound with the EQ. You just need to understand what each frequency relates to as you dont turn "up" all frequencies, which is often a novice error in trying to EQ sound. You want to turn "up" higher frequencies and turn "down" lower frequencies, and in the example "up" and "down" dont mean louder and lower, because you need to turn "up" the higher frequencies to expose them more, and you want to turn "down" your lower bass frequencies to actually make the "louder" if you will (or deeper in reality).

So to those of you "stuck" or "sorry" for not ticking the B&O box, Id just say to give your EQ a chance and you may find that you in fact made the "right" decision all along. good luck
Hi M630

Thank you for your input, but I picked up this 6er because of the look beside BMW sweet driving experience, so B&O look definitely enhance the appearance/overall package if not for the sound. You are right that it is a waste to spend on something that you might own for a short time. And, I do change car quite frequently, but I hope to change that habit and keep this 6er for a very long time. Still, I understand the limitation of car audio, but for about $1000 Mercedes is offering a much more compelling audio option with very good clarity with default setting. However, I understand that Premium sound option isn't terrible comparing to many others, therefore I chose it to save some money and hoping to make it better through fine tuning EQ instead of retrofitting B&O. I heard that B&O option in BMW isn't even made by B&O, only designed by B&O with name plate on the grills. By the way, I never think that B&O home audio sound good beside the look.

I mention that I would like to optimize my EQ for house music because I understand that 1 EQ setting is not for all types of music. Also, I respect that Dirac is a good audio company, but may be BMW did it purposely so customers will opt in on much more expensive option. After all, I do enjoy good sound clarity but hoping not to spend that much, but default setting on Premium sound option is not as good (clear) as HK option in my station wagon.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the response, m630. I think an opinion like yours is what we were all hoping for. Differences between Premium and B&O aside, since we already have made our choices (for better or for worse lol), it's good to know we have a source who owns the Premium and knows his way around the settings. Could you snap and post some pics of your current settings for us to experiment with? I will gladly admit that I'm pretty clueless about this stuff, so I'd appreciate the opportunity to try out your settings to compare to default. Even if we don't listen to the same types of music, I'm curious to try something different. I've stayed away from adjusting the settings because I figured default can't be worse than what I'd do left with my own ignorance

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22
Thanks for the response, m630. I think an opinion like yours is what we were all hoping for. Differences between Premium and B&O aside, since we already have made our choices (for better or for worse lol), it's good to know we have a source who owns the Premium and knows his way around the settings. Could you snap and post some pics of your current settings for us to experiment with? I will gladly admit that I'm pretty clueless about this stuff, so I'd appreciate the opportunity to try out your settings to compare to default. Even if we don't listen to the same types of music, I'm curious to try something different. I've stayed away from adjusting the settings because I figured default can't be worse than what I'd do left with my own ignorance

Thanks for your help!
+1. I picked the B&O but definitely need help on the EQ settings from experts like m630.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is what I currently have. I am sure that it can be better because I am pretty lousy at this.

Thank you all
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
+1. I picked the B&O but definitely need help on the EQ settings from experts like m630.
Yes, please m630 I spent about 30 minutes so far, and I think I am beginning to make it worse.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #16
BartekF
Poland
Rep
Drives: F13 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
Yes, please m630 I spent about 30 minutes so far, and I think I am beginning to make it worse.
I did the same Help needed...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #17
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
I personally find it comical that some may spend thousand and thousand on their car sound option and have no meaningful home system in any way, again to me that points to a potential brag factor in a car option that you may own for a relatively short period of time. My home system was about 13 times the cost of the Premium sound option as a point of reference. Id say save the extra several thousand between the B & O and the Premium sound option and use it as part of your invest in your home system, you'll certainly get more use out of it and it may even raise the value of your property.
Thanks M630. I agree with pretty much everything you said. I too am a bit of an audiophile although not professionally. Music and sound are very personal and subjective things. We don't all like the same music and we may not like the same EQ settings, for example.

The bottom line to me is that no car system will ever sound as good as a premium and well designed home based system. Most homes don't have accoustically perfect rooms for a perfect set up, but you sure can come a lot closer than that of the inside of a car. Many OEMs and thier preferred audio suppliers have come a long way in creating audio systems that work very well in the accoustically complex interior environment of a car. But it's still no match for a proper auidophile-level home sound system.

I spent the extra bucks on BMW's premium sound system just to get away from the digital amplifier of the base system, but the B&O wasn't worth it to me. I understand the aestetic thing (even B&O home equipment is great to look at), but as M630 said, to me it's about the sound.

If I want to listen, really listen to music, I go into my home theater which doubles as a music room. The sound that orignates from my Burr-Brown DACs and delivered through high current bi-amped Focus 20/20s is unparalleled in any car. I must add that my home system does nothing for the value of my home, becasue if I move, it's coming with me.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Thanks M630. I agree with pretty much everything you said. I too am a bit of an audiophile although not professionally. Music and sound are very personal and subjective things. We don't all like the same music and we may not like the same EQ settings, for example.

The bottom line to me is that no car system will ever sound as good as a premium and well designed home based system. Most homes don't have accoustically perfect rooms for a perfect set up, but you sure can come a lot closer than that of the inside of a car. Many OEMs and thier preferred audio suppliers have come a long way in creating audio systems that work very well in the accoustically complex interior environment of a car. But it's still no match for a proper auidophile-level home sound system.

I spent the extra bucks on BMW's premium sound system just to get away from the digital amplifier of the base system, but the B&O wasn't worth it to me. I understand the aestetic thing (even B&O home equipment is great to look at), but as M630 said, to me it's about the sound.

If I want to listen, really listen to music, I go into my home theater which doubles as a music room. The sound that orignates from my Burr-Brown DACs and delivered through high current bi-amped Focus 20/20s is unparalleled in any car. I must add that my home system does nothing for the value of my home, becasue if I move, it's coming with me.
i agree actually, and will use my home system as a bargaining chip some day I were to move. While its all built in now, I can easily have it removed for a few grand and reinstalled if the new owner is not interested

as for my EQ, please see below. This is optimized for digital sound, electronic music, CD based or pure AIFFs. Area will sound best on Satellite radio with this config, though it does well for most stations.

neversummer87, turn down that bass a bit on the first screen and then optimize first using the 1kHz frequency...good luck
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi m630, thank you sir! I just drop in your settings and test it with several songs, and it rocks! Your recommendation also help me understand EQ a little bit better.

I bow to you master.

The sound is much improved at this point. I might get some silver spray paint and paint all grills silver.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
Reeses83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes E550 Coupe

Garage List
Thanks m630!! I think you just helped everyone who got the premium sound package and didn't know how to adjust the EQ to enhance their music genre. Adjusting the EQ properly makes a huge difference in the way you hear your music. Your post definitely helped me! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #21
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Glad to help, hope you all enjoy
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #22
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I also followed m630's recommendations, and it sounds great. I've listened to several songs, and I think it sounds noticeably better. Not being able to objectively measure its improvement over default bothers me, but I suppose my impression is what should matter the most. Most of the songs do seem to sound clearer and better. Thanks again for your help!
Appreciate 0