BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

640i oil top-up

Approximately at which point does the electronic oil level system indicate that a top-up is needed and does it states the quantity required?
With 3k miles from new, the screen on my 640i is indicating just over half full, but it's still green and there are no other indications.
My instinct tells me to add oil now, but without knowing how much is required, I could easily overfill.
My previous two BMWs were extremely oil-frugal 6cyl diesels and I have no experience of modern petrol engine oil consumption.
Any advice much appreciated - many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

The system will tell you you need to top off.

I wouldn't do anything until you get a notification from the iDrive system.

And when you do get a notification, just take it to the dealer and they'll top it off for you for free (as long as you are under the 4 year maintenance program).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
The system will tell you you need to top off.

I wouldn't do anything until you get a notification from the iDrive system.

And when you do get a notification, just take it to the dealer and they'll top it off for you for free (as long as you are under the 4 year maintenance program).
Thanks for your response.
I know I should trust the electronic level, but having had a transducer failure in my 535d, I'd feel more at ease with the back-up of a good old fashioned dipstick. Makes you wonder why the diesel engines, which hardly use any oil, have one, whereas the petrol units don't - logic dictates that it should be the other way around.
As to a free top-up at the dealer, I don't think that applies in the UK .
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Thanks for your response.
As to a free top-up at the dealer, I don't think that applies in the UK .
Really? That sucks.

Give me your address, I'll have my SA send you a bottle or two.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Thats strange that the 640 uses up so much oil thats not common with the iconic I-6, the V8 yes, I would have that checked if I was you.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D
Approximately at which point does the electronic oil level system indicate that a top-up is needed and does it states the quantity required?
With 3k miles from new, the screen on my 640i is indicating just over half full, but it's still green and there are no other indications.
My instinct tells me to add oil now, but without knowing how much is required, I could easily overfill.
My previous two BMWs were extremely oil-frugal 6cyl diesels and I have no experience of modern petrol engine oil consumption.
Any advice much appreciated - many thanks.
Okay, the top box above the max line should, for the most part, not be green as that would be acceptable but still slightly overfilled.

Now, the first box below the max line and the first box above the min line and all the boxes in between, when combined, represents one quart.

So, if you wait until the oil level gets to the box above the minimum line then you can dump a whole quart without fear. This may or may not cause the box above the max line to turn green.

Finally, the box below the min line should always be green. If it us not green then you will turn on the idiot lights.
Appreciate 0