BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #23
S800vxr
Private
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WELM6 View Post
Makes me chuckle all this tuning by laptops etc.
Christ, when I was 17 I used to tune my Mini 1275 GT by changing the pistons to Spitfire pistons, installing a Peco exhaust with a long centre manifold, changing to a 649 cam and installing twin Webers.
After all this I reckon the power of my beast jumped from 52 to about 59 HP!
Buy hey, I felt a great sense of achievement, even though I had to weld a biscuit tin in the centre of the dash cos the Webers poked through!

Is it only me?
I loved that car because it was all I could afford, but now that I can afford whatever I want, I just don't get the same buzz!
Im not in your ballpark re ability to buy anything but I know what you mean. The 6 will tick the car 200mph box later this year and after that il go 4x4 chelsea tractor I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #24
WELM6
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 coupe Comp Pack

I meant within reason
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #25
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S800vxr View Post
Also the link given gives details about DT faults not failures.... and TBH id happily upgrade the clutch and baskets to hold the near 1000nm torque I have as that's asking allot of a stock gearbox. I've actually stopped all use of s3 setting as no need for such a hard change.
Right and that's my point. Upgrading the clutch is necessary since Getrag 7DCI700 is rated to 700 NM (even considering Germans conservative spec, upto 800 NM might be safe) , but what about engine? the components inside the DCT including all shafts and gears? what about the LSD? Driveshaft? ignition and fuel system?,... all of these parts have their specification as far as maximum input power/torque/operating temperature and etc.... and on top of them what about chassis? is this chassis able to handle that much power and torque even in straight line?
Why should we tune a car and then stop using some features (ie S3)?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the tuning at all, but my concern (maybe because I'm a design engineer) is to follow the manufacturer specification and limitations and that's the way I do my daily job in my real life when I want to design a product...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #26
S800vxr
Private
Rep

If it breaks il get it fixed. Till then im gonna enjoy it as yr a long time dead.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #27
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If it breaks il get it fixed. Till then im gonna enjoy it as yr a long time dead.
Long time dead??
Oh Ok sir then no more discussion
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #28
S800vxr
Private
Rep

Meanwhile back on topic.....

Apologies OP.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #29
WELM6
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel lane View Post
I was thinking about moving over to the 997 turbo PDK, I currently have a 2012 model with various upgrades . Any feed back on the 997 would be appreciated so I don't make the wrong decision .

Thanks
The 997 TT was a great fun car.
Where it fell down with me was comfort. I love a fast , good handling car as much as the next guy, but I use my car for trips to Germany and Italy, and the 997 was not a comfy car! 250 miles and you are knackered!
I had an XKR before and that was a great car for long distance and to be honest I wish I had kept it and not swapped it for the 997.

Yes, the 997 was extremely quick, and the acceleration was manic, but I couldn't bond with it.

I also disliked the fact that all other road users seemed to hate me!

It was also completely characterless! If you think the m6 exhaust is a let down, the TT is even worse.

If I had another Porsche I would go for a normally aspirated car with the switchable sports exhaust. My mate has one and it is so much more fun than the TT - perhaps it is the sound, I don't know!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #30
A_
Private
Rep
Drives: M8, G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel lane View Post
I was thinking about moving over to the 997 turbo PDK, I currently have a 2012 model with various upgrades . Any feed back on the 997 would be appreciated so I don't make the wrong decision .

Thanks

let's see

Both cars are stock. Rolling start from 80 kmh .
M5 F10 Competition pack 575PS vs 997 Turbo S PDK 530PS

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #31
WELM6
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, but that's the Turbo S
The standard 997 TT IS 460/470 BHP and a totally different beast.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 05:18 AM   #32
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Yes I am sure a tuned car will suffer more than a modded one. As for picking up the tune, all trace is removed if needed inc update counts etc. Also why bother adjusting other bits as the M6 is awsome for what it is, just needed a power hike.
Bmw are good and this is a factory built forged engine with allot of headroom for more power. My old LS3 survived 640 boosted hp on cast pistons due to careful ownership so I am sure this thing will.
I just think BMW are taking the piss and relying on people's insecurities to pay way OTT. Just look at the Acrposhit exhaust and the mark-up they add to "factory" fit!
ALL re-maps are findable on BMW M cars, I know this for a fact.
Unless the ECU and associated electronics are changed you could be found out, no matter what DMS say
My mate actually writes the software for tuning BMW cars.
The dealerships however would NOT be able to find their own arses in daylight.
      06-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #33
WELM6
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
The dealerships however would NOT be able to find their own arses in daylight.
PMSL !!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #34
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
You're seriously misunderstanding us man.

The 2016 new LCI (different from your 2015) are available already. The difference in July is that the option to add the competition pack will then be available as part of the ordering guide, and has to be DCT. No MT comp pack will be available to us anymore.

If you don't believe me- go look at kris1858 thread that he just posted of his new m6- photos included (headlights/nav screen/rear lights are the most obvious upgrades)

If that's not enough, then what did they build for me?

Again- none of us are claiming to have the comp package on our 2016 cars, because we CANT add it yet here. However, the 2016 (LCI) m6 have been here already since last month.
your M6 is beautiful looks like batmans car! pictures when it arrives please
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #35
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro
Quote:
You're seriously misunderstanding us man.

The 2016 new LCI (different from your 2015) are available already. The difference in July is that the option to add the competition pack will then be available as part of the ordering guide, and has to be DCT. No MT comp pack will be available to us anymore.

If you don't believe me- go look at kris1858 thread that he just posted of his new m6- photos included (headlights/nav screen/rear lights are the most obvious upgrades)

If that's not enough, then what did they build for me?

Again- none of us are claiming to have the comp package on our 2016 cars, because we CANT add it yet here. However, the 2016 (LCI) m6 have been here already since last month.
your M6 is beautiful looks like batmans car! pictures when it arrives please
Thanks brother! It's a combo that hadnt been done before (frozen black on Opal white leather) so definitely excited to see it in person

The 6 speed MT is purely preference (understanding I'm giving up the benefits of a DCT) but considering manuals are all I've ever driven- I justified it as "a poor DCT driver will not out perform an experienced manual driver" vice/versa.

Hopefully just another month! She's waiting at port Bremerhaven for a vessel right now- so seeing how you're in the UK/ she's way closer to you than me, if you're fast enough, maybe you can catch a picture of it and post it on here! LOL
      06-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #36
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Thanks brother! It's a combo that hadnt been done before (frozen black on Opal white leather) so definitely excited to see it in person

The 6 speed MT is purely preference (understanding I'm giving up the benefits of a DCT) but considering manuals are all I've ever driven- I justified it as "a poor DCT driver will not out perform an experienced manual driver" vice/versa.

Hopefully just another month! She's waiting at port Bremerhaven for a vessel right now- so seeing how you're in the UK/ she's way closer to you than me, if you're fast enough, maybe you can catch a picture of it and post it on here! LOL
LOL the spec uve chosen is awesome cant wait to see it!! when it does arrive test out the ambient lighting for me to see if its Orange and White only
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #37
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I have to teach this KID how to drive DCT lol...
Oh yeah then we can switch our cars
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #38
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:

I have to teach this KID how to drive DCT lol...
Oh yeah then we can switch our cars

Not sure if I can learn the DCT- I may stall out :P
      06-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #39
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
LOL... no you won't... but you may destroy my car
Man you can't believe over 99% of time I'm driving in Sequential mode with maximum setting (S3/Sport+) and also MDM.
What I have to teach you, is to how adapt yourself with the torque delivery of DCT while living next to red-line...
But you know what? I just drove my friend's car yesterday. It's an old MT 4runner... I feel I miss Manual Transmission
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #40
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
LOL... no you won't... but you may destroy my car
Man you can't believe over 99% of time I'm driving in Sequential mode with maximum setting (S3/Sport+) and also MDM.
What I have to teach you, is to how adapt yourself with the torque delivery of DCT while living next to red-line...
But you know what? I just drove my friend's car yesterday. It's an old MT 4runner... I feel I miss Manual Transmission
I feel like I may definitely get pedal heavy on the DCT! That's the ONE thing I did like about it more than the MT. I wasn't focused so much on the coordination aspect of the drive, I was simply just enjoying the rush.

You'll notice- it's a different feeling having the control/torque on a DCT and a manual. To me having control over the MT was actually easier than the DCT, believe it or not- that's why I don't get those f8x debates about talent/lack there of based off a transmission. Entertaining none the less

Hahahha the nostalgia attached to the MT got to you huh?
      06-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #41
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I feel like I may definitely get pedal heavy on the DCT! That's the ONE thing I did like about it more than the MT. I wasn't focused so much on the coordination aspect of the drive, I was simply just enjoying the rush.

You'll notice- it's a different feeling having the control/torque on a DCT and a manual. To me having control over the MT was actually easier than the DCT, believe it or not- that's why I don't get those f8x debates about talent/lack there of based off a transmission. Entertaining none the less

Hahahha the nostalgia attached to the MT got to you huh?
That nostalgia is living with me...
Appreciate 0