05-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
SpikySimonW
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F13 640d | E60 M5 | E66 730d

640d M-Sport Coupe 'Lock' function setting

Hi,

Recently took delivery of a new 640d M-Sport Coupe - so far so good - have two small (very trivial!) question..

(options/text paraphrased - not in my car at the moment!)

Under the 'Locking' settings there are the two usual options - "All doors" & "Drivers only" - and that both work as I'm used to (former unlock both doors on a single press of the unlock remote button, latter unlocks the drivers door on the first press and passenger door on the second) as well as with this being a Coupe the windows are lowered a tiny amount when you open the door then raised again once shut. However there's also a "Comfort entry" option which according to the manual "..on second press the window is lowered on opening the door": having tried this option it indeed does as described: when opening the door after a double-press of the button on the remote the window is now lowered to roughly half way (instead of the normal tiny amount) and then closed again when the door is shut. All well and good.. but.. WHY?!?! Why is this particularly 'comfy'?!? Am I missing something obvious here?!?

Secondly, my door handles have a chrome trim element to them (no other chrome trim external to the vehicle - standard black gloss around the windows etc). I thought these were sensors part of the Comfort Access optional extra and which I don't have (didn't order it - the primary give away!, don't have the ridged touch button on the top and lastly key-less entry doesn't work - I tried!). Am I completely wrong (not something I've paid a huge amount of attention to) - is this cosmetic only?

Thank in advance for all pointers etc.

Cheers, Simon
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
RDT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport convertible

Can't help on the window question, but my 640d M Sport also has chrome trim on the door handles. To be honest I'd not given it a thought until you mentioned it. I don't have comfort access either. Having said that, I think they look good alongside the silver side indicator trim.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
SpikySimonW
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT
Can't help on the window question, but my 640d M Sport also has chrome trim on the door handles. To be honest I'd not given it a thought until you mentioned it. I don't have comfort access either. Having said that, I think they look good alongside the silver side indicator trim.
Indeed you're spot on - matches the chrome indicator surrounds. The more I look at it the more I'm thinking it's entirely cosmetic.

Now - about those windows..!!?!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I've never heard about the comfort window feature. Maybe not on US spec cars? idk. With mine, opening the door retracts the window slightly then moves into place once the door latches. Holding the unlock button opens the windows and sunroof, but that's it. Not reallys sure what is up with that half-open feature.

The chrome on the handles is purely cosmetic. I think it's a nice detail that adds a bit more interest to the side of the car, and it works well with the trim, wheels, and front fender chrome inserts (with integrated turn signals).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
HMtheJJ
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: B3s, Ranger Rover Sport, S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonw500 View Post
Hi,

Recently took delivery of a new 640d M-Sport Coupe - so far so good - have two small (very trivial!) question..

(options/text paraphrased - not in my car at the moment!)

Under the 'Locking' settings there are the two usual options - "All doors" & "Drivers only" - and that both work as I'm used to (former unlock both doors on a single press of the unlock remote button, latter unlocks the drivers door on the first press and passenger door on the second) as well as with this being a Coupe the windows are lowered a tiny amount when you open the door then raised again once shut. However there's also a "Comfort entry" option which according to the manual "..on second press the window is lowered on opening the door": having tried this option it indeed does as described: when opening the door after a double-press of the button on the remote the window is now lowered to roughly half way (instead of the normal tiny amount) and then closed again when the door is shut. All well and good.. but.. WHY?!?! Why is this particularly 'comfy'?!? Am I missing something obvious here?!?

Secondly, my door handles have a chrome trim element to them (no other chrome trim external to the vehicle - standard black gloss around the windows etc). I thought these were sensors part of the Comfort Access optional extra and which I don't have (didn't order it - the primary give away!, don't have the ridged touch button on the top and lastly key-less entry doesn't work - I tried!). Am I completely wrong (not something I've paid a huge amount of attention to) - is this cosmetic only?

Thank in advance for all pointers etc.

Cheers, Simon

BMW calls it "comfy access", while Lexus calls it "Easy access", but they are essentially the same thing, making getting in and out of the car with ease, ever parked very closed to a car next to you? being a coupe, having a longer door, the class actually is right in your face when you try to get out from a very tight parking spot, but with window half lowered, you can actually get out of the car, sometimes when it's really tight and close, I have to lower the window all the way so that I could get out, don't know if this makes sense
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
SpikySimonW
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMtheJJ View Post
BMW calls it "comfy access", while Lexus calls it "Easy access", but they are essentially the same thing, making getting in and out of the car with ease, ever parked very closed to a car next to you? being a coupe, having a longer door, the class actually is right in your face when you try to get out from a very tight parking spot, but with window half lowered, you can actually get out of the car, sometimes when it's really tight and close, I have to lower the window all the way so that I could get out, don't know if this makes sense
Ah-ha! Full points to you sir! Makes sense - while I (so far) haven't needed such a feature I can now at least sleep easy in the knowledge that I know what the 'feature' is actually for!

Following your well-worded example, I guess when EXITING a vehicle from a tight space you indeed have your window controls available however when you RETURN to a vehicle and when some idiot has parked far too close alongside then this is when the feature from the remote could come in handy..

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Yepp, that's what I thought too. Anyway - a good advice is to avoid those tight parking spots. People are increadably careless when opening the doors or manoeuvering out of the spot, hurting your precious. I got my brand new F20 only two weeks ago and it already needs a paint job after some idiot tried to back out without knowing what the front end of his car did. Of course he didn't leave a note. I was so mad I could have gone up in smoke when seeing it.

About door handles: I could swear my F12 door handles were all black. But this thread made me check it out. Surprise: They have chrome elements! They blend neatly into the overall design, so thats why I didn't notice earlier. Which is remarkable, since I spend at least two hours every Sunday by cleaning and caring for the car. True love it is
      05-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
HMtheJJ
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: B3s, Ranger Rover Sport, S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonw500 View Post
Ah-ha! Full points to you sir! Makes sense - while I (so far) haven't needed such a feature I can now at least sleep easy in the knowledge that I know what the 'feature' is actually for!

Following your well-worded example, I guess when EXITING a vehicle from a tight space you indeed have your window controls available however when you RETURN to a vehicle and when some idiot has parked far too close alongside then this is when the feature from the remote could come in handy..

exactly, I use it all the time, very useful and kudos to BMW for paying attention to how the cars are being used in the real world and included this feature in their current line ups
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...kudos to BMW for paying attention to how the cars are being used in the real world and included this feature in their current line ups
Now, if they had only given us a power trunk...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Now, if they had only given us a power trunk...
Everything else about the car is so well made and well thought of, so this detail is actually a bit annoying. There is a power lock, but the lid does not sway upwards. The cables and power supply are already there, so it should be a piece of cake to retrofit the additional hardware to lift the lid. If BMW can't install it, probably some local shop can.
Having this feature would be nice, but not important enough to make me do anything about it though
      05-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I found out the other week that the trunks on the coupe and the vert differ in that the convertible's trunk closes on its own once you get it moving while the coupe requires a forceful pull (otherwise it will close, not latch, then bounce back up). This is very annoying if I have anything in my hands, and I can only use my right hand with the right-sided hand hole because I worry about my watch hitting if using my left hand, and I've already accidentally pulled out the light when using the left hole. Probably not as much of an issue on the vert but problematic with the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I'll bet the hardware from the 5 or 7 can be used on the 6 if the wiring is in place. Assuming it's an independent system and doesn't require a software change, should be an easy retrofit. When I get a free moment, I'll ask my service guy. Parts could be expensive through the dealership though.

Same is probably true for softclose, but a much more difficult install. This would require removing the door panels!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Ok. Now I understand better the frustration from the coupe drivers. The trunk lid on the vert is well balanced and closes neatly by itself. I only wish it would open automatically when both hands are occupied with grocery bags (or golf bags for that matter).

Since soft close doors is an option on European cars, it should be easy to retrofit. Removing door panels doesn't take many minutes for a mechanic!