BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
DMD
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Hello.
I'm new to the 6post section. For years I've been on M3 post and e90 post.

Just hopped out of a competition pack e92 M3 into a 2013 650 Xi Gran Coupe with M sport.

GC caught my eye for a while. Relative to an e92, its a family car.....well, not quite. But with larger family, I've managed to work things out perfectly even with 3 kids in an e92.

I hadn't done much research on things I'm interested for this car, mainly at this time suspension and wheels.

Xi wasn't even on my list. Moving from FL to MI, both our rwd cars with winter tires are doing extremely well. But the car I liked with color and options was an Xi with 19" M sport wheels. Might as well have X drive, and i'll see how all season tires plus X drive are vs. rwd and winter tires.

I've been browsing and getting some ideas here but still have some questions I'd appreciate some insight on.

1. Does the GC share same specs for wheels and suspension (coilovers/springs) with coupe/convertible/Xi variants?

2. Does the Xi accommodate same wheel specs as non Xi gran coupe?

3. Looking online, most vendors only have sections for F12/13; surely most of those bits are interchangeable, like grills and such, but I'm concerned about my options for wheels, fitments and any limitation along with suspension options.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Wheel fitment is the same on the 650 and 650xi, there is also no difference on wheel fitment between the coupe and gran coupe. I think the M6 is the only one where the wheel specs change.

Stock wheels are the same on the 650 and 650xi, though the 650xi does sit a little higher than the 650.

When it comes to suspension I have no clue, but I hope that helps you a bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
DMD
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Wheel fitment is the same on the 650 and 650xi, there is also no difference on wheel fitment between the coupe and gran coupe. I think the M6 is the only one where the wheel specs change.

Stock wheels are the same on the 650 and 650xi, though the 650xi does sit a little higher than the 650.

Thank you for the info.
I found out through a vendor that no one has actually made any suspension bits for the GC specifically, rather there are several project cars utilizing coupe parts that do fit, but aren't optimized for the GC's weight/balance....etc.

That should give me some time to find the right wheels for the car until there are enough choices of suspensions.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
nwills
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post

Thank you for the info.
I found out through a vendor that no one has actually made any suspension bits for the GC specifically, rather there are several project cars utilizing coupe parts that do fit, but aren't optimized for the GC's weight/balance....etc.

That should give me some time to find the right wheels for the car until there are enough choices of suspensions.

Thanks again.
AC Schnitzer has a set of springs designed specifically for the 650xi GC.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
DMD
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwills View Post
AC Schnitzer has a set of springs designed specifically for the 650xi GC.
Thank you. I just found out last night that AC and Hartge have GC specific springs. They even differentiate amongst 640/650/xi.

I got info from an F10 forum member that AC springs can be ordered via cecwheels and another vendor that I cannot recollect without looking at the PM.

Definitely the first item to go on the car will be the springs.

Though they lower max of 30mm on the front I believe, which is barely over an inch. Concerned that it might not be sufficient drop for the look with 20" wheels.

I'll be doing the springs regardless before considering any outlandish coilover with EDC option.

If anyone knows vendors for AC Schnitzer and Hartge springs, please let me know so I'll have more than a couple of sources.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0