BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #23
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

I bought long term care insurance (WAY CHEAPER) and don't have kids...I can't relate to this conversation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #24
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
This is one of the many reasons why I'm leaning towards not having/wanting children. I know there are many joys to having them, but after weighing it out it seems like the cons far outweigh the pros (at least for me it does).
Umm...that went total south here:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1249541
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #25
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Can't the wife stay home? Is she making significantly more than what it cost for day care? If so, what's the big deal?

You drive an X5M and a new M3, I don't think you're slumming it.
He already stated that she makes very good money so I'm sure that's a factor. My wife was let go from her job two weeks before her due date last year and didn't work for the next six months. For women who are used to working and having that adult interaction, it's a VERY difficult adjustment to now sitting on the couch watching Curious George. It's great being with your kid but it can definitely be maddening for some people.

It's also not good for the kids to have little-to-no interaction with other kids as they're staying home with a parent. One of the guys I work with who has a son the same age as my daughter (almost three) came up to me and asked when we were going to start socializing our daughter. His poor kid has been hanging out with his mom for nearly three years and can't even play on the playground without getting intimidated by the other kids. That ain't right.

Our kids' nanny has three kids herself so they are out and about all day doing activities and interacting with the world around them. My kids are now extremely comfortable interacting with kids of all ages having been around them for the last few years. I'm very happy with the way it's worked out.

All that said, I'm also in CT and work in Manhattan. Luckily my wife now works nearby but the days are very long and no daycare can accommodate the hours we require. I always LOL at the daycares that close at 5pm... who the fuck does that work for!?!? Anyway, we also pay nearly $3k/mo which is why I'm now driving a VW CC. Can't win 'em all but I love my kids more than any car so that's what we do.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #26
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
If you'd have given the finger, you wouldn't be in this predicament. But no, you had to give the D - then she got pregnant...

Sorry - made lulz on a srs topic.
or it should have been a back door kinda night
      05-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #27
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Can't the wife stay home? Is she making significantly more than what it cost for day care? If so, what's the big deal?

You drive an X5M and a new M3, I don't think you're slumming it.
No, we do not hurt for money but I don't like paying for daycare, i get no value from it. She makes 6 figures. and that 2k could be a new X5M and then some
      05-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #28
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T View Post
That thread did go south quickly.

I don't mean to start a debate whether having kids or not is the correct choice in life. I love kids and respect anyone's decision to have them. I just think for me personally that my quality of life would be better if I didn't have any.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #29
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Do you have room for a live in nanny? Seems like $24k might be a reasonable amount of compensation if you're providing a room and food. I know the total cash outlay is more, but you get rid of all the other headaches. Don't have to deliver and collect them at 3rd location. Plus, maybe nanny can provide other services as well. Cook, clean, etc...

I have no idea if this is feasible as i only have a dog. But dogs are like kids in many respects. Just cheaper, quieter, don't cause my car insurance to increase, eat less, will never take care of you, die sooner, etc... wait. Just kidding.

But not kidding about nanny. I feel like if your kid(s) have to attend daycare, maybe you can find someone who you will (eventually) know on a deeper level to spend that time with them rather than the daycare randoms. In my opinion, i think it would be worth it. Unless the cost is double daycare or something.
      05-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #30
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Do you have room for a live in nanny? Seems like $24k might be a reasonable amount of compensation if you're providing a room and food. I know the total cash outlay is more, but you get rid of all the other headaches. Don't have to deliver and collect them at 3rd location. Plus, maybe nanny can provide other services as well. Cook, clean, etc...

I have no idea if this is feasible as i only have a dog. But dogs are like kids in many respects. Just cheaper, quieter, don't cause my car insurance to increase, eat less, will never take care of you, die sooner, etc... wait. Just kidding.

But not kidding about nanny. I feel like if your kid(s) have to attend daycare, maybe you can find someone who you will (eventually) know on a deeper level to spend that time with them rather than the daycare randoms. In my opinion, i think it would be worth it. Unless the cost is double daycare or something.
Also, don't let wife read or there will be no more kids - think Lorena Bobbitt.

Edit: Cannot stop joking. Mine are all grown and the wife stayed home during those years.
      05-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #31
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Damn those little boogers are pricey.
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #32
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
That thread did go south quickly.

I don't mean to start a debate whether having kids or not is the correct choice in life. I love kids and respect anyone's decision to have them. I just think for me personally that my quality of life would be better if I didn't have any.
And I was trying to Ban Ki-moon that situation. You worded it well mate! Now got get that F10 M5
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #33
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Mr Tonka - You and I are in the same boat. No children is a personal choice for the wife and I. Not that we hate kids - just did not fit with our lifestyle and profession. I have a niece and nephew that I dearly love, but when they were young I could only take them in small doses.

They are 12 and 14 now - much more 'adult' in their behavior and have a healthy respect for 'Uncle Rob's' stuff (CAR'S and Beach Condo)...

What always shocks people - when they ask 'How old are your kids', or 'How many kids do you have?' and I reply - we don't have kids...

They are almost at a complete loss for words - or blurt out, 'Why don't you have kids?!?!'

Anyway....kids are expensive. Dogs, Donkey's, Goats, and Cats are less expensive. My .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #34
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Yeah it's brutal but if you're both professionals ... bad luck.

What bothers me more over here is the mid-income welfare that means you almost are better off just working part time or whatever because at above 150K household here they just eat you alive on new taxes (hard left federal and provincial governments recently voted in) and the handouts are crazy.

And i say that leaning far further left than most of you here.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #35
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
No, we do not hurt for money but I don't like paying for daycare, i get no value from it. She makes 6 figures. and that 2k could be a new X5M and then some
You actually get a lot value from it. You and your wife made the choice to have children. If you both choose not to stay home to take care of them, you then have to hire someone to do it for you. You have an entire staff of people watching your kids in their facility and you pay only $24k a year. That's a pretty solid deal.

It's hard for me to accept this "but but but it's expensive!" while you drive $150k+ in cars. I drove flashy, fun cars before I had kids as well but nobody ever said life will be the same when you have children.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #36
TBN54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i

OP drives a X5M and a new M3 and is complaining about daycare cost.

Someone needs to get their priorities in check.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #37
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Mr Tonka - You and I are in the same boat. No children is a personal choice for the wife and I. Not that we hate kids - just did not fit with our lifestyle and profession. I have a niece and nephew that I dearly love, but when they were young I could only take them in small doses.

They are 12 and 14 now - much more 'adult' in their behavior and have a healthy respect for 'Uncle Rob's' stuff (CAR'S and Beach Condo)...

What always shocks people - when they ask 'How old are your kids', or 'How many kids do you have?' and I reply - we don't have kids...

They are almost at a complete loss for words - or blurt out, 'Why don't you have kids?!?!'

Anyway....kids are expensive. Dogs, Donkey's, Goats, and Cats are less expensive. My .02
See...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #38
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBN54 View Post
OP drives a X5M and a new M3 and is complaining about daycare cost.

Someone needs to get their priorities in check.
      05-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #39
TBN54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i

Quote:
lolol don't want him to take it too hard but with those cars, he has room to trade one in so he could free up some stress/money paying for daycare.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #40
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93

DINK club!

We didn't make a decision of sorts. It was that neither one of us has that inner voice calling us to procreate. The desire just isn't there.

Speaking of donkeys.... Wife sent me this ass-selfie last week.
Attached Images

05-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #41
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
DINK club!

We didn't make a decision of sorts. It was that neither one of us has that inner voice calling us to procreate. The desire just isn't there.

She's got a great ass, if you don't mind me saying.

(Sorry for threadjacking.)
      05-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #42
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
How can you say you get no value from it? I don't understand how you can place no value upon it, unless you are the uneducated one, and your wife is the one bringing in the income?

Because CLEARLY, absent daycare, you or your wife would have to stay home. Which would mean lost income. Which is very easily valued. Plus, you would lose your sanity (ask me how I know). So yes, you get value from daycare, it allows you to go to work and earn money.

You made the decision to have kids, pay to play.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #43
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
She's got a great ass, if you don't mind me saying.
You know she's aware of it too. I mean, look at how happy she is.
      05-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #44
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
DINK club!

I really like your pose there Joe! Though your ears are a little big - have you considered cropping?
Appreciate 1