BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

Trunk Lip / Spoiler Paint or Carbon Fiber on Carbon Mettalic?

I'm going back and forth on this. I've scanned the forums for pics but there aren't many around.

I'm thinking of adding the rear lip spoiler and wonder opinions between going OE painted to match the carbon black metallic or do the OE M Performance in carbon fiber? Basically they are the same price so that is a non-issue anyway. But what do you think about the contrast of carbon fiber on carbon metallic?

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Purely subjective but my 2¢: match the paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

Test fit the carbon fiber. Will update pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Congrats
Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
n0shadowkick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Schwinn

Carbon fiber!!! It will look better either way
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

Installed and detailed!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #7
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

That sure looks great to me.

I want to thank you for posting this update pic as I am going through the very same thing right now, only my car is Singapore Grey. Sometimes I think it looks like I tried to match the grey but missed. Other times it looks pretty good, especially when one considers the roof is CF and mine came with a CF diffuser on it. That makes me think I ought to go with a bit more CF - perhaps a front lip, grilles (now black), and side markers (black too).

It really helps a lot to see it on yours. Thank you for posting the update. It's hard for me to tell how long you've had it on there. From your test fit pic on 4/26 I'm guessing it's been on there 2 weeks at the most. I know it's not much time, but do you have any regrets or second thoughts about leaving this CF vs. painting it the body color? Your pics are great but nothing beats seeing it in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chask View Post
That sure looks great to me.

I want to thank you for posting this update pic as I am going through the very same thing right now, only my car is Singapore Grey. Sometimes I think it looks like I tried to match the grey but missed. Other times it looks pretty good, especially when one considers the roof is CF and mine came with a CF diffuser on it. That makes me think I ought to go with a bit more CF - perhaps a front lip, grilles (now black), and side markers (black too).

It really helps a lot to see it on yours. Thank you for posting the update. It's hard for me to tell how long you've had it on there. From your test fit pic on 4/26 I'm guessing it's been on there 2 weeks at the most. I know it's not much time, but do you have any regrets or second thoughts about leaving this CF vs. painting it the body color? Your pics are great but nothing beats seeing it in person.
Thanks. Actually, the dealer had to detail and seal the paint so it didn't go on until yesterday. So far, no regrets. I like that it looks different in different light. It's carbon fiber, so it definitely looks like it is supposed to be different.

I personally think that all the lip spoilers are fine, but my preference was this for a number of reasons. I see you have the M6 GC. I ended up getting the carbon fiber diffuser and exhause insert the same as you have, assuming you didn't change to M Performance. I'd be interested in seeing what you choose to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #9
krown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6

troymi: did you install it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #10
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krown
troymi: did you install it yourself?
I was at the dealer anyway so I let them "own" the install if anything went wrong.
Appreciate 0