Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i xDrive Convertible

Garage List
2024 BMW  [10.00]
2020 BMW 840i xDriv ...  [0.00]
Start/Stop Question

When I stop at a light, is it normal for the engine to start back up itself after a minute or so? I know that turning the wheel or shifting from Drive to Sport will start the engine back up, but I'm literally just sitting there. Does this happen to anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

This is the normal function of the stop/start feature, which can be disabled by pressing the switch immediately below the engine start/stop button.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Dan.K
Private
Rep
Drives: FormerE39,E46,E90,F12,F31owner

I've been at lights where the engine was "off" for longer and it never turned on BUT at the next light, the engine did not shut off. I thought it was odd but who am I to figure out what the computer in these things do . In fact, when the engine shut off, it never turned back on unless I did what you stated.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.K View Post
I've been at lights where the engine was "off" for longer and it never turned on BUT at the next light, the engine did not shut off. I thought it was odd but who am I to figure out what the computer in these things do . In fact, when the engine shut off, it never turned back on unless I did what you stated.
Assuming that the engine shut down automatically as per the stop/start function, as opposed to you manually switching it off and it then didn't automatically restart, it sounds like you have a problem.
In normal operation the engine shuts down whenever the car is stationary for more than a few seconds and it then automatically restarts very quickly as soon as you take your foot off the brake or touch the accelerator.
Personally I dislike it because there's a slight delay in restarting and that's why I disable it by pressing the switch below the engine start/stop button.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Dan.K
Private
Rep
Drives: FormerE39,E46,E90,F12,F31owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
In normal operation the engine shuts down whenever the car is stationary for more than a few seconds and it then automatically restarts very quickly as soon as you take your foot off the brake or touch the accelerator.
No, that sounds about right. It's just that after a couple of long signals, it won't shut off. Otherwise, the slighter amount of pressure off the brake pedal retains the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Personally I dislike it because there's a slight delay in restarting and that's why I disable it by pressing the switch below the engine start/stop button.
I totally agree with the delay so when the cross traffic begins to stop, I lift my foot off the brake pedal a bit and the engine restarts. This way, no delay. I suppose pushing the button would be much easier, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Jdubble07
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i xDrive Convertible

Garage List
2024 BMW  [10.00]
2020 BMW 840i xDriv ...  [0.00]
I'm kinda thinking that after the engine being off for a certain amount of time at a stop, it the computer might recognize that it takes more gas to start the engine back up than it does to sit idle. Does this theory make sense to any petrol heads out there?
Appreciate 0