BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

Spirited Drive today…finally

Today was the day when I finally took my car on what I would call a "spirited drive" to Big Sur on the PCH. I took a close girlfriend of mine on my journey. Our destination was http://ventanainn.com for a long leisurely lunch and then some shopping in Carmel. Just got back home and thought I would share some of my thoughts about my experience with my new baby.

First, I realize a lot of people like the V8 sound and power. However, for a 6 cylinder, the 640i is an amazing car. It had plenty of power and in Sport + mode the car handled as well as advertised. Luckily my friend loves to drive fast and never even flinched as I was navigating through the twists and turns on PCH as you leave Carmel and head into Big Sur. For whatever it's worth I'll leave the V8s to those who want to put more money into there gas tanks and I'll take the savings for more lunches to destinations like the one I went to today.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Sounds like a pretty great experience all around. I've yet to make an epic road trip, but I think one is long overdue as soon as I can find the time. I like your idea of a nice weekend lunch. #livingthe6erlife
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC , 2016 X5M

I agree with you that the 640i is a very capable car and it has more than enough power for you to enjoy driving it.

Also in my country having a V8 is wasted on our roads since there are no big open roads nore any twisty roads and all we have are a huge amount of traffic lights/ roundabouts that's why most people buy V6.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
TopDownInFL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650 Coupe

I wish we had twists and turns here in Florida! Sounds like it was a blast.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

I have yet to find a good place to drive mine like a hoon. On and off ramps are fun, and I can find some decent twisties, but for the most part I'm limited by pedestrians, school busses, speed bumps, and Toyota Rav4 drivers (widely considered to be the worst drivers in the entire world)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
I have yet to find a good place to drive mine like a hoon. On and off ramps are fun, and I can find some decent twisties, but for the most part I'm limited by pedestrians, school busses, speed bumps, and Toyota Rav4 drivers (widely considered to be the worst drivers in the entire world)
I find white vans (plumbers, electricians, etc.) to be the perpetual pain in my a$$ and cause for the majority of my braking. Coming up behind soccer moms in Honda Odysseys results in a similar eye roll and swear session.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
I find white vans (plumbers, electricians, etc.) to be the perpetual pain in my a$$ and cause for the majority of my braking. Coming up behind soccer moms in Honda Odysseys results in a similar eye roll and swear session.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Dads driving Oddysseys, though, seem to run fast and smooth. I think the Odyssey is the "I hate a minivan but if we have to have one this is the least crappy to drive" compromise.
Appreciate 0