BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Black X3MC

Heat vent blowing issue with F12s

I have another question but this is probably more directed at my fellow convertible owners. This is issue probably exists for the F13/F06 owners but I presume you would never be bothered by this.

Quick intro to my issue:
If possible, I like to keep the top down at all times. Sometimes, it is cold outside so I will just turn the heated seats / heated steering wheel on and blow the heat full blast (this is actually my issue). To achieve the “full blast” heat, I turn auto temp off, dial the heat up to hottest (84 degrees), put the floor and front facing vents on, and turn the fan up to full.

Problem:
When doing this, there is very little air being pushed out. What’s really interesting is that if you dial the heat down to the lowest (60 degrees), the fans blast out air. If you turn it back to 84, the fans essentially do nothing. So the good news is when it gets really hot here in Colorado, I will be able to keep cool. I went to the dealership and they are telling me that BMW designs the logic in their cars so that “you can’t blow massive amounts of hot air at your face as it could cause drowsiness”. This is my fourth convertible and I have never had an issue with blowing hot air into the cabin at full blast on the front facing vents.

Other items tried:
Using auto temp does not work
Tried other settings for vents (i.e. floor, front, and defrost or just front facing) and those didn’t seem to effect the blowing too much
While at the dealership, actually tried on a 2013 M6 F12…exact same issue

Question:
Any other F12 owners having the same issue? Have you ever brought it up to dealership and had it remedied?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
If the sun is out my roof is down.
Often in Vt. Temps just below 30 F. Snow all around.
Seat and steering wheel heat on.
Temp set to 72 F. Fan high.
Windscreen up.
Quite Comfortable.
(and I wear a hat!).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Black X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWnyc View Post
If the sun is out my roof is down.
Often in Vt. Temps just below 30 F. Snow all around.
Seat and steering wheel heat on.
Temp set to 72 F. Fan high.
Windscreen up.
Quite Comfortable.
(and I wear a hat!).
Right on man! You and I are the same. When you say temp set to 72 and fan high, is that auto or manual? On auto you only have about 4 or 5 bars of fan flowing whereas for manual there are 6 or 7 I believe.

If I am on manual and set the temp to 72, then it blows strongly. However, it is only when I turn it up to 84 that for some reason, the blower shuts almost in half.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
I tend to leave it on Auto. Never felt the need to go to 84!
Appreciate 0